Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: exhaust v6  (Read 8484 times)

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
exhaust v6
« on: 06 May 2016, 09:24:56 »

What is the standard pipe bore for a v6 omega exhaust..

Thinking of having a stainless one made my powerflow for my elite..
Will tell them...

Want it quiet like stock...
Twin angled tips like stock...

Couple things unsure off though

Do you think worth having a x pipe in system to balance flow..
Mandrel or crushed bend or is there nothing init on road use really

And also seen as mine a 3.2 thinking of deleteing pre cats and swapping cata for sports cat recomended or not ??

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust v6
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2016, 10:00:32 »

If fitting a stainless system, best off getting the full system from demon twerks, it's a jetex, system looks identical to standard, flows better, cost bit more than a "bespoke"

The problem with the so called bespoke systems, they, use a join, and change it to a single box system,
Two centre boxes replaced, by 1, to make the over axle bend easier, and one pipe, some also cut the flanges off,, and weld the new system on to the downpipes, or make the new system slip jointed, on to downpipes.
Hoof'land storeman.

andrewrobuk

• Sunderland
    • '00 3.0 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2016, 10:42:42 »

I would recommend the Jetex system. Probably is more expensive but to me it seemed better quality and more pipe work than the custom Powerflow exhaust that I took off mine.
The Powerflow came with the car and couldn't have been on that long really. Started to get a terrible noise which was I guess a baffle plate in the one centre box that was there instead of the two separate.
Not sure if the cause of the plate rattling was down to the two pipes joining after the cats and then into one box and one pipe thereafter, but it must have been more restrictive for gases.
The mess that the cats flanges were in after removing the Powerflow, I had to get new flanges welded on, but it was never right and replaced the cats not too long after that

andrewrobuk

• Sunderland
    • '00 3.0 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2016, 10:46:26 »

Also, not sure of the standard bore but the Jetex is 2.5inch all the way through. Sound is good too. Fairly quite on idle, low down rumble on accelerating. It doesn't sound cheap if you get me

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2016, 12:03:13 »

I agree with all of the above with regards to the bespoke systems. Many years ago I had quotes from the likes of Powerflow and Longlife for my 3.2 but you need to question what you are getting as Powerflow would have been quite happy to chop the flanges off and weld it straight to the downpipes. Longlife were going to fabricate a single pipe system, not the dual pipes, so I didn't like that either. With the Jetex system, apart from the bigger bore, it replicates the original system. It was a perfect fit and really easy to do yourself, assuming the flange bolts come off easily. Been on mine for around seven years and not given me any problems so far touchwood.  :y
I only went down the stainless route as I needed a new exhaust and thought it would eliminate any future zorst worries but as I say, that was years ago so I've had my money's worth out of it now.  :y
If you do go bespoke, make sure that they are aware of your wishes before they start to rip the old one off.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2016, 12:22:34 »

No they dont

The quote is for a copy of my systen two pipes front to back box .. two centre silencers
And a rear backbox.

Looked at jetex before bit tips just look stupid 80mm and round ... unfortunetely no offer of other tips..

I know what your saying about longlife and powerflow as there a franchise some are of poor quality i got stung by longlife on a old car but when i had misses decat made at a different dealer they did a spot on and tig welded joints were beautiful..

With regards to flexi joint etc they will do what u ask.. mine will be flexi jointed twin centew boxed possibly with xpipe to balance flow between banks..

Also if yours sounded awful you should have gone back you get lifetime guaratee and faults they fix it...

Im more after as i asked in first quotes... is a xpipe recomended and bore size of std system...
And does anyone have any recomendation of removing pre cats and fitting sports cats is it a
Worthwhile mod...

Not really asking about brand or where to buy from cheers though

If fitting a stainless system, best off getting the full system from demon twerks, it's a jetex, system looks identical to standard, flows better, cost bit more than a "bespoke"

The problem with the so called bespoke systems, they, use a join, and change it to a single box system,
Two centre boxes replaced, by 1, to make the over axle bend easier, and one pipe, some also cut the flanges off,, and weld the new system on to the downpipes, or make the new system slip jointed, on to downpipes.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2016, 12:43:25 »

No they dont

The quote is for a copy of my systen two pipes front to back box .. two centre silencers
And a rear backbox.

Looked at jetex before bit tips just look stupid 80mm and round ... unfortunetely no offer of other tips..

I know what your saying about longlife and powerflow as there a franchise some are of poor quality i got stung by longlife on a old car but when i had misses decat made at a different dealer they did a spot on and tig welded joints were beautiful..

With regards to flexi joint etc they will do what u ask.. mine will be flexi jointed twin centew boxed possibly with xpipe to balance flow between banks..

Also if yours sounded awful you should have gone back you get lifetime guaratee and faults they fix it...

Im more after as i asked in first quotes... is a xpipe recomended and bore size of std system...
And does anyone have any recomendation of removing pre cats and fitting sports cats is it a
Worthwhile mod...

To answer your initial question. The original exhaust doesn't have a cross pipe so it isn't needed. As for sports cats... Mixed experiences I'm afraid but I have none on an Omega.

As for the other comments... Just the experiences of people here. I've only ever seen stainless systems with single pipes, including the one on my other Omega ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2016, 13:00:19 »

Again

Im not getting or have i mentioned im getting a single pipe system
.. getting a copy of std system twin pipe front to back

With regards to x pipe there suposed to encourage scavaging of exhaust gases and allow tone and decibel reading of exhaust to be altered... jist because it doesnt come with it doesnt mean it needed...

How does yours run with no cats is it better ??

No they dont

And a rear backbox.

Worthwhile mod...

To answer your initial question. The original exhaust doesn't have a cross pipe so it isn't needed. As for sports cats... Mixed experiences I'm afraid but I have none on an Omega.

As for the other comments... Just the experiences of people here. I've only ever seen stainless systems with single pipes, including the one on my other Omega ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2016, 13:59:43 »

I have yet to hear a stainless system that isn't unbearably noisy. A bloke with stainless pipes and a welder is not going to fabricate a system that is as refined as the OEM exhaust. Full stop. He won't double wall the silencers, pack them properly with wadding or calculate their dimensions to stop resonances. If refinement is important to you, don't do it!

Make sure you do clearly specify twin pipes bolting to the original cat flanges because, as said, with 90% of fabricated systems we've seen they can't be arsed to keep the flanges and will cut them off and weld to the cats, which is unhelpful if you need to replace a cat. I don't doubt what you've been told, but plenty have come away and found that's what they've ended up with!

The only advantage I can see with a stainless system is lifetime, and with Omegas "getting on a  bit", you have to ask yourself if there's enough life in any Omega to make it worthwhile.

A decent aftermarket exhaust will offer good refinement, last for 4 years or more and cost £100. You can fit whatever tailpipe trim you want to it and your insurance company won't load your premium for having a modification. No-brainer.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2016, 14:02:08 »

Oh, and unless you can do the calculations on where to locate it, a cross pipe will make no odds. I suspect it'd have to be very close to, if not before, the cats to have any impact on performance, and I think the firing order of the V6 would make them redundant anyway (they are useful on square plane V8s, if memory serves).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2016, 14:12:13 »

Again

Im not getting or have i mentioned im getting a single pipe system
.. getting a copy of std system twin pipe front to back

With regards to x pipe there suposed to encourage scavaging of exhaust gases and allow tone and decibel reading of exhaust to be altered... jist because it doesnt come with it doesnt mean it needed...

How does yours run with no cats is it better ??

No they dont

And a rear backbox.

Worthwhile mod...

Don't know... I don't have any experiences on an Omega ;)

As for the cross pipe, I'm confused... You say one minute you want to fit a direct replacement, then talk about altering it for tone etc.... ::)

As for the Stainless... The only system I have experienced with no negative impact is the Jetex one. Every other system I've experienced has had an impact on performance.

At the end of the day, it's your car. People have given you advice and you can take on what you like.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2016, 15:24:53 »

Make sure you do clearly specify twin pipes bolting to the original cat flanges because, as said, with 90% of fabricated systems we've seen they can't be arsed to keep the flanges and will cut them off and weld to the cats, which is unhelpful if you need to replace a cat. I don't doubt what you've been told, but plenty have come away and found that's what they've ended up with!

My point exactly.  :y  I was told what I wanted to hear but come the day they tried to persuade me otherwise, hence making it clear of what you want with no deviations. It was intended to be helpful and to save the OP picking his car up and being disappointed.

I'll admit that I missed the purpose of the original post and got side-tracked by stainless systems, so it may be better if some of the guys with Powerflow systems chipped in with their views as they have the experience of them.  :-\ 
As the Jetex system has been ruled out I won't bother mentioning that the Jetex Sports Cats downpipe bolts straight on to the car to make a complete system, or my opinion of it.   ;) :-X

No flexi joint on V6 downpipes by the way, just a simple flange to flange with steel ring between, so they will need to fabricate the flanges and dress the pipes or cut them off your old exhaust and weld them to the new pipe. They did the latter to my sons two vehicles.  ::)
Anyway, point made so bailing out.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2016, 16:13:53 »

Ive not seen nor is it listed on jetex site they do a sports cat downpipe..

If they do that be fab..

I completely know and understand it wont be as quiet as a mild steel system i jave stainles on all my cars
But you can get loud or quiet ones...

Yes i stated i want it to be a copy of std system and do in sense of two middle boxes and a rear silencer. But i was tempted by a x pipe to balance flow from bank to bank when its firing plus x pipes allow a decibel reduction due to the noises cancelling each other other out going through x pipe...

It would be after cat xpipe due to cooling of exhaust gas u dont want it mega hot

Im after releasing a bit of power hence were all this coming from and my omega i see me keeping it at least 5 years if not longer spot on car....

My plan was fit some 3.0 downpipes with sports cats welded in place of std cat
( lost pre cats and gained aports cats plus flow of earlier downpipes better due to shape)

Std bore mandrel bent cat back stainless system like std but with x pipe in it

Then have it mapped my motorsport developments

Any one got any advice?? Oh and anyone know other places to have omega mapped

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2016, 16:14:46 »

Just down at profusion here at heathrow. At the moment just getting a stainless back box fitted. I was talking to the chap a full cat back system using magnaflow. He said he wouldnt go the route of 2 into 1 but would fit a crossover then bring them both into back box.
 After taking my back of he started the car and rev'd it.(what a lovely sound). Idea behind this was to get a sound level so we could decide what size rear box to put on. It now sound nice without any low down drone :y

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2016, 16:49:11 »

Spot on bud. .. yes a crossover is a xpipe what im on about recomended on twin bank engines to balance it out
Be good if u got a magnaflow system front ti back ...

Pics and videos would be awesome hahau

Just down at profusion here at heathrow. At the moment just getting a stainless back box fitted. I was talking to the chap a full cat back system using magnaflow. He said he wouldnt go the route of 2 into 1 but would fit a crossover then bring them both into back box.
 After taking my back of he started the car and rev'd it.(what a lovely sound). Idea behind this was to get a sound level so we could decide what size rear box to put on. It now sound nice without any low down drone :y
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.