Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kids & Guns  (Read 880 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Kids & Guns
« on: 01 August 2014, 14:22:58 »

Did anyone watch this last night on Ch 4?

It makes you have to wonder what goes on between the ears of some Americans  ??? ??? ??? The ex soldier trying to get his FOUR year old girl to show an interest was beyond belief IMHO. Surely a 4 yr old should be playing with dolls etc ..... not a bloody rifle!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/kids-and-guns/4od#3735219

Rog

Re: Kids & Guns
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2014, 14:33:38 »

It makes you have to wonder what goes on between the ears of some most Americans  ??? ??? ??? The ex soldier trying to get his FOUR year old girl to show an interest was beyond belief IMHO. Surely a 4 yr old should be playing with dolls etc ..... not a bloody rifle!

Fixed that for you  ;D    ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2014, 14:43:16 »

It makes you have to wonder what goes on between the ears of some most Americans  ??? ??? ??? The ex soldier trying to get his FOUR year old girl to show an interest was beyond belief IMHO. Surely a 4 yr old should be playing with dolls etc ..... not a bloody rifle!

Fixed that for you  ;D    ;D

Considering that some OOFers are from across The Pond I was trying to be diplomatic  ;)  ;)  ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2014, 15:09:26 »

I went to a gun show last summer when I was in Texas and it was like a WI village fete, except instead of jams, preserves and cakes on the stalls it was weaponry of all descriptions!  ::)

Something for all the family!!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2014, 15:20:21 »

I went to a gun show last summer when I was in Texas and it was like a WI village fete, except instead of jams, preserves and cakes on the stalls it was weaponry of all descriptions!  ::)

Something for all the family!!  :)

I know that US gun laws vary from state to state, but it amused me that alongside general household stuff in a Wall Mart in Florida Kissimee, there was a range of various rifles & handguns  ??? ??? ??? Not the kind of thing you're used to in Tesco/Asda  ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2014, 15:35:46 »

I saw the advert for the programme. Daddy with small child on lap, holding a rifle up to the girls shoulder, and pulling the trigger as she looked down the sites it looked like.

The kick from the rifle almost crushed the girls chest. How oppsing retarded is it possible to get, one wonders.

I realise that if the other guy has a gun, its best to have access to one yourself when it comes to self defence. I also like the challenge of hitting a target with a firearm. But a child below the age of 10 has no business being anywhere bear a gun. IMO.

I have yet to see the programme mind....

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2014, 15:52:36 »

I started shooting at 9, clays on a farm.  Carried on in the cadets and then the army.  Turns out I have a natural talent for it and always came if not top, then top 3.  I like shooting, I can live without it too.

I have spent a lot of time shooting and hunting with family in the states and I can tell you they take gun safety very seriously.  Even though I am qualified to be in charge of a military shooting range, they still wanted to test my safety skills before letting me out on a hunt with them.  I have never come across the types shown in that programme, but to say they dont exist would be a falsity, but from what I have seen they seem to be a small minority.

I guess that programmes like that try to showcase the worst case scenario as the norm and play on our stereotypes of gun-loving americans.  If you lived over there and watched benefits street you would think we were all like that Dee woman but as we all know, people like that are (thankfully) a minority.   I hope you get the analagy because their views on the NHS are somewhat skewed due to the political agenda against Obamacare, but just like this programme, they took a minority problem and made it out like the entire system was that way.

:y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2014, 19:20:56 »

I have spent a lot of time shooting and hunting with family in the states and I can tell you they take gun safety very seriously. ....

One of the other families had a 10 yr old that they were quite happy to let out on his own to go hunting with his junior sized .22(?) rifle  ??? ???. When he'd not come back, they all went out to look for him. They found him in a ditch with one of his bullets in his forehead .... they reckoned he'd dropped the riffle on the butt end & it'd gone off.  :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2014, 19:23:11 »

I saw the advert for the programme. Daddy with small child on lap, holding a rifle up to the girls shoulder, and pulling the trigger as she looked down the sites it looked like. ........

Daddy was 'looking' down the sights with his iPhone. He'd been a soldier in the middle east somewhere & had lost both legs & his right arm

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2014, 21:16:09 »

Personally I think everybody in the UK should have to attend civil defence classes and learn to shoot, like they do in Switzerland. :y :y :y

I've a question, without looking it up how much higher do you think the death rate per 100,000 is from firearms in the US compared to the UK?

UK 0.25, US 9.42, about 37 times higher, Honduras 64.8, :o El Salvador 46.85, Guatemala 36.38, Colombia 28.14
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.