Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Remote Locking Batteries - what type?  (Read 3007 times)

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
Omega Remote Locking Batteries - what type?
« on: 17 June 2016, 10:39:40 »

I need some batteries for the alarm / central locking remote for my 1997 Omega CDX. What is the correct type and how many? Can't tell if it needs one thicker one or two thinner ones on top of each other??

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Remote Locking Batteries - what type?
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2016, 11:40:13 »

CR2032  :)

bought mine of the eeeebay, duracell, very cheap. Pack of two, keep a second in the car as a spare at all times. (means unlocking the car to get to it, of course  :D :D)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2016, 11:48:42 »

Be careful when removing the old battery, the soldering for the battery holder can easily break.

Jan
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2016, 12:52:09 »

And beware of egay batteries - they are cheap, but shite.  Not an issue, just you need to change them far more often than if you used quality sourced batteries.

Trouble is, buy a pack of 10, and they'll all be flat in a year or so, making it only worth buying a couple at a time...  ...and between them, they may last a year if you're lucky.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2016, 13:00:02 »

To the OP, The Boy has expressed issue about ebay :y I'd second what he says, re: a pack of 10 etc.. much like anything, if you buy a pack of ten, unbranded, for a quid, well, don't expect much. You might come off very well, but might be a waste of your time.

As I said, bought mine, ebay duracells, with no issue, approaching a year daily use so far.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2016, 17:47:34 »

To give you some idea of how shite...   ...out little ol' Rover went to the Beanz Factory at 12yrs old, sporting the original fob batteries (and the original car battery for that matter ;D).

My original Omega key still works, despite having never had a battery in my ownership (13yrs), admittedly rarely used due to a split button.  The other keys used to eat cheap batteries in no time, with range being so poor, always had to use the key-to-chin method.  If I remember, when I'm over at big bro's, I can get him to pop new batteries in the fobs FoC, and as he used decent branded batteries from reputable sources, these last several years.

When I bought TBE of that pikey used car dealer, affectionately known on OOF as joshwyatt, I had to buy a 2nd key...  ...never opened the fob up on that one, so whatever GM supply in the fobs is good for at least 6 years.

So, just beware, a pack of 50 CR2032s for 99p is rarely the bargain it looks.  In fact given most OOFers seem to be so ham fisted that they break the battery holders every time they change the battery, it may well be an expensive battery ;).  Still, I make a tidy profit off repairing the bloody things, so I shouldn't grumble ;)
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2016, 09:00:16 »

I use Energizer batteries from my local Sainsburys and they have lasted the almost three years i have had the car. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2016, 09:08:41 »

I use Energizer batteries from my local Sainsburys and they have lasted the almost three years i have had the car. :y
Yes, I think the mainstream supermarkets will have a reputable supply chain :y
Grumpy old man

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2016, 20:10:51 »

Well I've replaced the battery in the fob.  The buttons still work as the litte red and green LED's light up when you press them. But it doesn't lock or unlock the doors etc.

My problem is that a previous owner has disconnected the power sounder due to the alarm going off as soon as you open a door. In ny case there's no alarm, but the hazards flash until you turn the ignition on.  I'd quite like to have the remote locking working though, well that's if the fob buttons are for remote locking and alarm??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2016, 20:22:09 »

Did you resync fob after changing batts, as per user manual?
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2016, 20:46:22 »

Did you resync fob after changing batts, as per user manual?

Is that long for ....Please read the manual?  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2016, 20:48:47 »

Well I've replaced the battery in the fob.  The buttons still work as the litte red and green LED's light up when you press them. But it doesn't lock or unlock the doors etc.

My problem is that a previous owner has disconnected the power sounder due to the alarm going off as soon as you open a door. In ny case there's no alarm, but the hazards flash until you turn the ignition on.  I'd quite like to have the remote locking working though, well that's if the fob buttons are for remote locking and alarm??

Key in ignition, ignition switched on, press lock (unlock ... one of them ::))  on button and that should resync the key/fob

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 June 2016, 19:43:13 »

Key in ignition, ignition switched on, press lock (unlock ... one of them ::))  on button and that should resync the key/fob

Woo-hoo, it works!! Having never replaced remote batteries before, I wasn't aware of this procedure, thank you for that, a nice easy fix!

Now I could really do with a replacement fob case or the rubber button covers, as both of mine are totally shot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 June 2016, 21:43:27 »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2016, 11:02:23 »

if you can source a good, low mileage fob, then you can either swap the case over, using your own internals, or have the whole fob reprogrammed for your car (technically the car is programmed to accept the new fob)

There were some on heebay a while ago, I got some, and at the time thought 'i should get dozens, and then sell them on to PFL owners as their fobs become unuseable. But the market is pretty damn small, about 95-96 MY, the MFLs onward use an all-in one style key, no separate fob.

That's your third option, by the way - get a MFL-onward all-in-one key. If you wanted to 'upgrade' you'd require a donor vehicle with its 'brain' etc, but could be sourced relatively inexpensively. If memory serves this is separate to the actual engine ECU etc, so no need to find a donor vehcile of same engine etc. The physical locks are the same on any Omega, you can (and I have) run a FL car using a PFL key, just with a piece of handy sellotape holding the chip to the other key.

Everything's doable.  :y

Scatmancraig

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2016, 15:14:05 »

if you can source a good, low mileage fob, then you can either swap the case over, using your own internals, or have the whole fob reprogrammed for your car (technically the car is programmed to accept the new fob)

There were some on heebay a while ago, I got some, and at the time thought 'i should get dozens, and then sell them on to PFL owners as their fobs become unuseable. But the market is pretty damn small, about 95-96 MY, the MFLs onward use an all-in one style key, no separate fob.

That's your third option, by the way - get a MFL-onward all-in-one key. If you wanted to 'upgrade' you'd require a donor vehicle with its 'brain' etc, but could be sourced relatively inexpensively. If memory serves this is separate to the actual engine ECU etc, so no need to find a donor vehcile of same engine etc. The physical locks are the same on any Omega, you can (and I have) run a FL car using a PFL key, just with a piece of handy sellotape holding the chip to the other key.

Everything's doable.  :y

I'm not too fussed what it looks like, as long as it works.  Whether the key and fob are one unit or not doesn't worry me at all.  I quite like the one I've got, I just really need a new case for it, or at least the rubber button covers. 

I did read on my other post about the fob that replacements are available on ebay?  I wasn't sure if that was just the case or the entire fob.  Assuming an entire fob is available (either a 2nd hand OE one or an aftermarket replacement), how do you get it programmed to work on your own car?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2016, 15:41:59 »

For programming you need someone with a Tech 2, the Vauxhall computer - several are owned and used by some OOFers on here. The Boy, Marks DTM and some others.  :)

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.