Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio steering control buttons wiring  (Read 2181 times)

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
Radio steering control buttons wiring
« on: 17 June 2016, 11:52:53 »

I'm about to change my radio in my Omega. Have been using Pioneers AppRadio but my new phone isn't compatible with it so I'm changing to a AVIN Android car stereo.

It has connections for the steering wheel buttons but I have to connect them myself. For the Pioneer stuff there is an adapter but it can't be used here.

I need some help figuring out which connector port has the steering wheel connections.

Anyone who knows?

Thanks

Jan
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • View Profile
Re: Radio steering control buttons wiring
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2016, 17:59:39 »

Found this when Googling, it's from the old site:
http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172579635

jan
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2016, 10:06:01 »

The Steering wheel interfaces are generally only available for the larger Branded stereos - Pioneer / Clarion / Sony / Alpine etc

Unlikely to find one for the Chinese imports to a 30+ year old car as not financially viable to design one
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2016, 10:17:02 »

Well, this one has it's own interface, it just need the signal cable connection. I think I have found it and will try in a few days.

Even if the steering wheel buttons wouldn't work this unit give you the functions of an Android tablet in your dashboard together with Navigation, Bluetooth phone, Radio, rearview camera, DVD or downloaded movie entertainment in the backseat. So I can live without the buttons but if they can work it would be great.  :y

Jan
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2016, 16:40:43 »

I got the steering wheel buttons to work with the Avin Android head unit. I got a cable harness for head units with Omega connections. Then I got the wires that are coming from the steering wheel. In this case it is just one connection from the car that connects to one of the Key-connections on the Avin unit.

On this connector it is the white cable that has the steering wheel button signal. I will fit a frame around the unit, it needs some trimming to fit, haven't done that yet.

Here is how the unit looks and as you see I'm adjusting the volume from the steering wheel.

This unit is in fact an Android tablet fit for use in cars, it has a couple of special apps for auto use, like a radio app that uses your cars antenna and speakers. But you can download music to the unit and store in its memory or on memory-cards. It has Wi-Fi so you can download apps from your homes network. I have a navigation app that stores the maps locally in the unit and it is a lot of data to download.

You can connect a USB Modem stick to it to get internet access when you drive or you can share your phones internet connection over the Wi-Fi.

This kind of unit will give us modern technology to our cars comparable to Apples CarPlay or Android Auto but better since you can use any kind of Android App, not just the ones compatible with Android Auto. And for me living in Sweden we haven't yet got Android Auto.

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.