Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please.  (Read 2653 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please.
« Reply #15 on: 20 October 2014, 20:13:11 »

What to do?  :-\

Unplug them both, say nothing to the old dear & then tell your mate what you've done.  :y :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 October 2014, 20:15:21 »

Just go round and unplug them! Job done.
Hoof'land storeman.

The Sheriff

« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2014, 20:18:21 »

Let the local fire safety officer know of your concerns. It may just put 'Wheels in motion'.

No WIM japes please, you're not clever or funny.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2014, 20:24:17 »

Let the local fire safety officer know of your concerns. It may just put 'Wheels in motion'.

To expensive  :)
Hoof'land storeman.

The Sheriff

« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2014, 20:26:39 »

To expensive  :)
OK. Don't do that then.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 October 2014, 21:01:25 »

If they are required to stop the plumbing freezing then either it's not adequately insulated or she's not keeping the house warm enough for her own well-being, IMHO, especially if the loft insulation is of the same vintage as the wiring - it should be allowing plenty of heat up there!

Either way - put up with the freezing pipes if necessary rather than risk a fire. :o

If the loft is insulated (from the house below) it should be freezing up there  ::)

.. but it won't be if the loft insulation is the same vintage as the wiring. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 October 2014, 22:20:18 »

So I've been talking to my mate and he's agreed that the fan heaters have to go.  :y

We've hatched a plan where he tells his Mum that I've said that the pipes arn't lagged properly and when he comes down next he'll bring a load of pipe insulation and will lag the pipes.  In the meantime I'll go round and measure up for him so he knows what he needs and will unplug the heaters.  We're going to play down the fire risk and he's going to rub in how much it must be costing in electricity!  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 October 2014, 23:53:12 »

Sounds like a good outcome. :y

Now to get some hydroponics installed up there now your other factory has been rumbled. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 October 2014, 00:26:21 »

Next time you're in Darzet Kevin, just let me know what 'spares' you need and I'll see what I can find under the floorboards for you!  ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 October 2014, 16:59:41 »

So I've been round my Mates Mum's place again this afternoon to 'check the lagging' and have unplugged the fan heaters!  :y

I was rubbing it in how much two 3 Kw fan heaters cost to run, she was horrified and agreed that they should be unplugged, but in the next breath said that if it gets cold she can nip up into the loft and plug them in again!  She's 84!  ::)  ;D

So I said that there'd be no need as when my mate is next down, we're going to make sure everything is properly lagged so there will be no need for the heaters!  :y  and anyway I went on, enough heat from the house will trickle through to keep the loft space warm enough in cold weather.  :y

To cut a long story short, it turns out that to save money she turns off all of the radiators apart from her bedroom and the bathroom and only turns on the full system when friends or family are round!  ::)  Even in the depths of winter!  :o  ::)  So her loft is nice and toasty, but the rest of the house is bloody freezing!!!  :D Sigh!  ::)  :(

I've sat her down and explained that it would be much cheaper to keep the GCH on low, on cold winter nights and keep the whole house warm rather than the 2 fan heaters from which she gets no benefit.  ::)  I also casually mentioned that if she had the Fire Brigade round for a safety check they'd be horrified if they saw the fan heaters.  ;)

We've always known that she's a bit 'frugal' with the heating, but even my mate when I spoke to him didn't realise she was that tight.  :-\  ::)  and tight is probably the right word as although like most pensioners she has to be careful, I don't believe that she is exactly poverty stricken, as she manages an annual trip to The States to see my mates brother.  ::)  I guess that's where her fuel allowance goes!  ;)  ;D

The Sheriff

« Reply #25 on: 23 October 2014, 17:10:23 »

Sorted :y

Now shut up about it. ;D

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 October 2014, 17:28:23 »

them fans must have been costing her a bit to run as they are not the cheapest to run :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 October 2014, 17:34:10 »

So I've been round my Mates Mum's place again this afternoon to 'check the lagging' and have unplugged the fan heaters!  :y

I was rubbing it in how much two 3 Kw fan heaters cost to run, she was horrified and agreed that they should be unplugged, but in the next breath said that if it gets cold she can nip up into the loft and plug them in again!  She's 84::)  ;D

So I said that there'd be no need as when my mate is next down, we're going to make sure everything is properly lagged so there will be no need for the heaters!  :y  and anyway I went on, enough heat from the house will trickle through to keep the loft space warm enough in cold weather.  :y

To cut a long story short, it turns out that to save money she turns off all of the radiators apart from her bedroom and the bathroom and only turns on the full system when friends or family are round!  ::)  Even in the depths of winter!  :o  ::)  So her loft is nice and toasty, but the rest of the house is bloody freezing!!!  :D Sigh!  ::)  :(

I've sat her down and explained that it would be much cheaper to keep the GCH on low, on cold winter nights and keep the whole house warm rather than the 2 fan heaters from which she gets no benefit.  ::)  I also casually mentioned that if she had the Fire Brigade round for a safety check they'd be horrified if they saw the fan heaters.  ;)

We've always known that she's a bit 'frugal' with the heating, but even my mate when I spoke to him didn't realise she was that tight.  :-\  ::)  and tight is probably the right word as although like most pensioners she has to be careful, I don't believe that she is exactly poverty stricken, as she manages an annual trip to The States to see my mates brother.  ::)  I guess that's where her fuel allowance goes!  ;)  ;D

She was 86 at the start of this thread. ;D ;D ;D

Has she defeated the ageing process? ::) ::) ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 October 2014, 17:41:41 »

She was 86 at the start of this thread. ;D ;D ;D

Has she defeated the ageing process? ::) ::) ;)

Glad to see you're paying attention M'lud!  :y

I thought she was 86, but she told me today she's 84.  Being a Gent, I never asked!  ::)  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 23 October 2014, 17:55:34 »

You smoothie, you ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.