Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3018054 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #16170 on: 06 May 2018, 10:04:04 »

Seems a "good job" you have there Albs. :y

Go to work and work on the car ...cant be bad and I assume being a bank holiday and its at least double time  :D
Fixed

You assume wrong. I work three weekends out of four as part of my standard shift rota. My rota is 162 hours per four weeks, so no overtime for weekends. Once I go over 162 hours, then its time and a half. This includes all bank holidays including Christmas day, new years day etc.
So I'm on standard time yesterday and today, but tomorrow is an extra shift so will be time and a half.
Not a bad job though at my stage in life. I'm too old and Ficked for real graft now, and far too thick for anything else, so it will do me until I retire (probably in my early 70,s) or fall off my perch.  :)
It helps that my boss is a VX fan - owned many Carltons, Omegas, had a Monaro until recently, and has 17 motorbikes, so hes reasonably understanding about these things.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16171 on: 06 May 2018, 10:20:03 »

The oil change hasn't gone very smoothly. In fact, it brought on a bit of panic. I tipped a bottle of engine flush in with the old oil about an hour ago before starting the oil change. The engine must be run at tickover for 5 minutes, not revved, then switch of and change the oil.
I ran it for 5 minutes, switched off, then went to undo the sump plug (13mm) and the fickin thing is rounded and wouldn't undo.  :o
My fault of course, I knew it was heading that way and meant to change it, but forgot.  ::)
I was close to having to decide whether to test the legendary quality of the engine by driving it home with the flushing agent still in the sump, or ring the boss at home, fess up, and ask to borrow a company car.  :-[ :D
Tried tapping an imperial socket on to it, but no joy. In the end I managed to hammer a 12mm ring spanner on and got it undone.
Then realised that although the new 5L of GM 10/40 was fine, the half full one that I already had in the boot of the car, is actually half full of old coolant, not oil. ::) ;D
I think it will be ok to drive it home with 5L of oil in the sump rather than 6.5L.  ::)
This is why its not really advisable to do car jobs at work. 12 hour dayshifts do get very boring though.   ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16172 on: 06 May 2018, 14:00:11 »

But you are on wages to do oil change so not all bad,

Think we have all done the oil in the canister should be fine to only find it’s old oil not lady taken to the re cycling place instead .

At our time of life a jobs a job ah !!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16173 on: 06 May 2018, 14:23:15 »

Yep, I quite agree. We are old enough to know that the world doesn't owe us a living.   :y
Ive just treated the old girl to a good wash too. Got to clean inside the windows and clean all the accumulated crap out of the inside, and that will do for today. 
Hopefully bring the Omega to work tomorrow and give its interior a clean too.  :)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16174 on: 06 May 2018, 17:36:16 »

Crickey,a regular car wash  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16175 on: 06 May 2018, 17:41:40 »

Nah, wouldn't wash the Omega at work as there isn't really the facilities to wash it properly. The old Merc doesn't matter though.
Cosmetically, its ficked.  :D

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16176 on: 06 May 2018, 18:25:00 »

I visted a few scrap yards today in the hope I might find a F/L V6 with rear calipers.  The expression I got from two of the scrappers when I asked if they had an Omega, you'd think I'd been asking for parts for an Austin 3 litre!

I spent the rest of the day doing a few small jobs, I changed the tensioner pully on the auxilliary belt (the old one sounded like a packet of Tic-Tacs), Changed the oil in the diff (good job I did as it was quite low) and removed the old stereo and Traffic master and loom.  It was a shame, but someone had previously tried to remove the stereo with the grub screws still in situ.  Sadly I had to butcher the stereo to get it out :(

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16177 on: 06 May 2018, 19:50:06 »

On the daily driver - quick oil and filter change, swapped the wheels front to back to try and even out the wear, clean up of the front brakes and clean and re-greased the sliders, cleaned off the underseal and ground back the rust on the chassis rails etc and painted with rust convertor then underseal after a few hours.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16178 on: 07 May 2018, 09:07:19 »

Ruled out clutch pipe failure...
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16179 on: 07 May 2018, 09:29:42 »

Found the front Sportstars for TBE in the shed. Even better, the tyres have 4mm tread (a vast improvement on the borderline ones currently on the car), except one has the cords hanging out of the inside edge. Bugger.

I'd feel I need to do some more miles to allow the suspension to settle before sorting out the geometry.

//TB goes off for another rummage in the shed to see what other wheels and tyres he might have.
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16180 on: 07 May 2018, 12:53:01 »

Took throttle body off the V70 in order to convert it to electronic.What a faff about,whos bright idea was it to make the wiring plug to big to fit between the starter motor and engine block so you have to shift the starter to get throttle body out of engine bay?Still it's off now so I'll pass it on to mate to do the swap over as I don't understand the instructions that came with the new part :-[

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #16181 on: 07 May 2018, 18:45:24 »

Found the front Sportstars for TBE in the shed.

Look much better on standard wheels with standard suspension, I can of course help you out there, just a simple swap  :y

::) :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16182 on: 07 May 2018, 18:47:41 »

Look much better on standard wheels with standard suspension, I can of course help you out there, just a simple swap  :y

That reminds me, I was going to give my old wheels off the MV6 to you, wasn't I?   :-[.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #16183 on: 07 May 2018, 19:00:10 »

That reminds me, I was going to give my old wheels off the MV6 to you, wasn't I?   :-[.
I think we said when you have them down to 1.59mm of tread as you'd not long bought the tyres on them!

Still interested if you want to come up with a deal  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16184 on: 07 May 2018, 20:46:53 »

I would love a set of sportstars on mine, but justify the expense in a 180k miles, 16 year old car. Ive already spent far more on it then most people would think is within the realms of sanity.  ::)

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.