Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What spares for Omega keeper?  (Read 1417 times)

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
What spares for Omega keeper?
« on: 07 December 2019, 17:52:11 »

Hi all,

recently posted in the newbie area regarding my new Omega. Planning this one to be a keeper. Whilst spares are still available and there are still a few cars around being broken and dealers do still have some parts what do folks here think are essential spares for a 2.6 V6 to reasonably future proof it.
If I start by saying I plan to refresh the suspension over time and get a proper set up. I also will do a cambelt and water pump and I have a spare pair of coil packs and a crank sensor.
Without going mad, what would others put by if items can be got for a reasonable cost.

Thanks,

Graham.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: What spares for Omega keeper?
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2019, 17:58:00 »

Nothing really.

The parts are mostly available fairly readily from somewhere globally, and the cars were popular enough for that to be the case for a bit longer...
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2019, 19:18:08 »

Front and rear headlight level sensors, door solinoids,  pair of 3.0L Downpipes.  if you have the space buy a complete car and break it for what you want.
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2019, 07:09:38 »

I get bits when I see them cheap, so my spares pile is more of a means of saving me money. ie: crank sensor (which you already have, good) was a dealer selling off old stock cheap. I fitted it recently in a bid to cure a poor running motor, but had I bought that there and then on the day I needed it I'd have been £100+ poorer, not the £20 or whatever I paid.

:y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2019, 10:16:49 »

Nothing really.

The parts are mostly available fairly readily from somewhere globally, and the cars were popular enough for that to be the case for a bit longer...

that.
The service and consumable parts are readily available, and probably outnumber the remaining cars. Buying and keeping parts just in case is daft; if you suspect what's on the car, replace it before it lets you down.

Your list for the suspension should include strut top-mounts, bearings and bump stops as well as the usual struts, springs, wishbones and poly bushes. The rear should get new shocks, springs, subframe mounts and it will probably need rebuilt diff mounts. Do all of that at the same time. It makes a huge improvement to how the car drives, and won't be necessary again.

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2019, 13:58:05 »

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments all. It is interesting to hear views from other Omega owners.

Biggriffin: - Didn't know i had rear light level sensors, I'll look those up. Interesting you mention the 3.0 downpipe, is that the best one to go for?

Diamond Black: - Saving money and timing of purchases is exactly it. I don't like being in a position where I'm forced to pay list because there is an urgency to return the car to the road.

Nick W: - Thanks for that suspension list. That is exactly what I'm looking for. The bearings you mention in connection with the struts. Do you mean the wheel bearings? or are there other bearings in that assembly that i'm not yet aware of?

Eboy and Nick W:- thank you for your point that many spares are likely to be readily available for a while longer. I hope that you are right. However, as I said before, Omegas are disappearing very rapidly. How this will effect parts supply is , I think, difficult to say. The last 5 years and the next may be very different.
Ultimately, I like the idea of keeping an Omega on the road, within reason, for the next 10+ years. I know this will seem like bonkers to some but I like the idea of one as a modern classic.

Thanks again.

Graham

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2019, 16:51:37 »

When the parts start to get in short supply, that's the time to grab them. Else you'll be constantly tripping over them.

For a v6, worth getting a breather seal, probably from the US.

I have a few odds and ends in the garage, but mostly its service parts and common faults.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2019, 10:02:35 »

Leave the wheel bearings alone until they need to be changed. IF they ever need to be changed.

You're looking at the strut bearings, which live between the top spring cup and the (mostly) rubber strut mount. The bearings can be stripped, inspected and regreased but if they fail inspection you'll need to replace them. At <£20 a side it's not worth having to remove the struts again. Much the same applies to the top mounts, which compress in use; something that isn't apparent until you compare them to new parts. You can't disassemble the front suspension without needing a full alignment check, so do it all or none of it.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2019, 11:10:51 »

3.0L downpipes are just a very good modification,. The level sensors just break, but with a bit of simple engineer can be fixed,, as Nick says replace all the suspension parts, and the car will last untill it turns to oxide. ;D
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.