Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Zafira Tourer - Service  (Read 14125 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Zafira Tourer - Service
« Reply #90 on: 25 August 2018, 16:38:45 »

So I started this today, on the whole a significant amount of confidence gained. Looks straight forward.

Started on easy job, air filter, checking service book looks to be original!

Changed pollen filter, was changed 2 years ago. Very straight forward on this thankfully, as I'd found no videos/guides for the Tourer, only Insignia. It was 4 screws, and inside 60 seconds the glovebox was out, so another nice easy job.  :)

Now for the questions/issues:

1) How much fuel should drain from fuel filter? The fuel lines look to be hard plastic lines, they cannot be crimped. I loosed the drain plug and drained about a full jar (Hellman's May size) of fuel, got nervous and did it back up again. How much should drain?

2) Haynes state a sump plug and washer should be changed on 2.0 CDTi for Insignia, forums suggest not, but does it need new washer each time?

I took front wheel off and had a good inspection, can see everything, drain plug, oil filter, screws for floor cover to take off. So confident to do it, just wondering on washer.

Also nice and easy to jack up and pop on axel stands, almost identical to Omega, so a refreshing change from the VW!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 25 August 2018, 21:44:55 »

Now for the questions/issues:

1) How much fuel should drain from fuel filter? The fuel lines look to be hard plastic lines, they cannot be crimped. I loosed the drain plug and drained about a full jar (Hellman's May size) of fuel, got nervous and did it back up again. How much should drain?

2) Haynes state a sump plug and washer should be changed on 2.0 CDTi for Insignia, forums suggest not, but does it need new washer each time?

1. The ovlov puts about 1" in the bottom of a washing up bowl, so I'd get a bigger vessel and persevere. As long as the washing up bowl s clean, you can always just pour it back in ;)

2. I change em now, only because a bag of 5 was about £8. But, worst case scenario is it'll weep a bit of oil so not the worst thing in the world.

What happens is that over time, as you squash and re squash the (presumably copper) washer is it goes hard and won't seal properly. Compromise would be to change it every other time (just turn it round and put it back on the other way round.

You'll only need to replace the sump plug if it has an integrated washer/rubber o ring, or you're a semi trained chimp employed by a garage and round it off.  ;D
« Last Edit: 25 August 2018, 21:46:42 by jimmy944 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 25 August 2018, 21:54:28 »

Thanks, ECP do for a fiver a sump plug and washer, bit pricey, but want to get it sorted this weekend. Well on Monday, as I think they are open, unlike Vx Parts.

I'll drain for longer, might use oil drain pan, that should be big enough!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 25 August 2018, 22:00:22 »

Yeah, be worth buying one at least to see what they're like. That way you can decide if it's worth replacing again.

Oil pan is a good shout. She'll burn the residual engine oil quite happily :)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 25 August 2018, 22:04:13 »

Think ECP's oil would be fine?

TRIPLE QX Engine Oil (Fully Synthetic (Low Saps C3) Engine Oil - 5W-30 - 5ltr)

As I recall, as Zaf has a DPF, oil has low Saps (to prevent ash) it will do.

As just priced up via ECP: air filter, oil filter, pollen filter, fuel filter (all MANN) and 5L of 5w30 oil.

For £73 delivered. Could do 3x services for cost of one local indie one.  :)
Is that right for the GM lump?  Exactly what does your glovebox manual state?

Lump is more Fiat than GM
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 26 August 2018, 11:10:58 »

API SN; ACEA C3; GMW16177 (dexos2™)

Book says:

Dexos2
ACEA C3
For your dpf, that's the match :y

Still way too expensive from euroshite though.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 26 August 2018, 13:48:20 »

Have you finished it yet?
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 26 August 2018, 16:02:49 »

API SN; ACEA C3; GMW16177 (dexos2™)

Book says:

Dexos2
ACEA C3
For your dpf, that's the match :y

Still way too expensive from euroshite though.

I know. I’m paying for convenience, it’s so near to me. Will be getting sump plug tomorrow and doing this.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 27 August 2018, 22:02:35 »

So finally got it all done  :)

Cracked on with oil change, was last done a year ago when I bought it. Looks like who ever was there before is bit heavy handed, got away with un-doing it, but next change I'll replace the sump plug:

Also, why does the sump plug have holes? When removing it, results in oil everywhere and messy to undo.

I also had to make do with this setup, as the under-tray could not be fully removed.

I removed the 8mm bolts, but the front section also appeared glued on.  :-\ I could not get the whole under tray off.

Also, as some have hinted that the engine is Fiat in design? That shows when what ever lunatic Italian engine designer thought this was a good place for an oil filter location. Not simple like VW where it's easy as pie from the engine bay. Have to take the wheel off for good access, wobbly adaptor and various extensions and having to use cardboard to direct oil away from drive shaft.  >:(

That said, everything else worked well. Easy enough to jack up and put on stands, almost identical to Omega. Wheels/suspension looks all very familiar for drop links, disc removal etc.

Reversed car on for fuel filter, so I could also have a good nose at rear suspension. Graham's my ramps still doing good job here. Although no idea where you access top strut bolts.  :-\

Had a bit of a scare with fuel filter, took cover off, and the damn filter was stuck in the housing. Had to pull it off, quite hard as well! Much less fuel drained out this time, I think as it had been driven to get oil hot for the change, far less drained out that before. I had left that overnight previously, so all drains back I guess.

Probably saved in region of £150 notes I think, doing this DIY. Garaged wanted near £200 and that was without pollen filter, main dealer wanted £250, again without pollen, so more like £200 note saving.

Which all paid nicely for Little MissT's new school clothes as she starts soon and nice day out today. So we had pleasure out of the cash, rather than some garage.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 27 August 2018, 22:20:03 »

Just researched a bit, as expected zero info on Zaf-C, but Zaf-A shows rear strut top bolt inside wheel arch. Must look harder at mine next weekend.

STEMO

« Reply #100 on: 27 August 2018, 22:23:02 »

I think if it was up on a lift, the undertray would have dropped down at 90°. Probably a good idea when you look at that way, saves one person struggling to get it back on.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 27 August 2018, 22:31:05 »

I think if it was up on a lift, the undertray would have dropped down at 90°. Probably a good idea when you look at that way, saves one person struggling to get it back on.

Yeah I think so, but was hoping with front bolts removed I could un-do that section as well.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 27 August 2018, 22:32:00 »

Next time, jack it up higher. Alot higher.

The flap is designed to hang vertically with the car on a lift.

The sump plug has holes so that it can be undone a few turns, drain the oil, retighten. Either that or someone fitted a banjo bolt rather than a sump plug ;D

With the proper facilities the engine is a doddle to service...

Next time book it in for an oil and filter change and do the 'extras' yourself... Best of both worlds. In your shoes this is what I would have done. During the week whilst at work. Thereby having a full weekend with the family.

Well done for trying though ;)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 27 August 2018, 22:35:13 »

Clearly whoever was in there before you was on a break between filming PG tips commercials.

Well done on getting it done tho  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 27 August 2018, 22:36:01 »

As suspected, rear shocks are mounted in the same way as the Golf/A3/Altea/Octavia shit boxes...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ZAFIRA-C-TOURER-12-ON-A20DT-REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-13419903-ABD6-12186-/113093611800

One bolt to the arm and two smaller bolts either side of the upper bracket. Shock rod secured to the bracket by the usual nut.  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.