Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please - leaking oil cooler plate  (Read 7505 times)

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please - leaking oil cooler plate
« Reply #75 on: 30 June 2012, 23:05:48 »

Still thinking over what next move is .  The problem is, & has been right from the start, is that with the engine running, I cannot actually see where the leak is occuring .

One last discription of what I can see:  With the front of the car up on drive up ramps, engine running, from underneath looking with an inspection lamp . Oil is showing in a bubbling & dropplet fashion  at a 1 o'clock position above  from the oil filter & crank sensor on the block casting.
This is in the area of the exhaust manifold & cannot see clearly where it is coming from as silver heat shields are there. From there it runs down the engine block & drips off the 2 torx bolts under the bell housing. Most oil leaks from omegas drip from these 2 bolts as they are the lowest point .

When car is off of ramps & on ground the oil seems to show more on the front of the engine below the pulleys on top of the front sump . starting on passenger side & within 10 miles has run to cover the complete front of the sump. but also still showing a smaller drip from the bellhousing area

My leak must be occuring high up on the engine somewhere as the first visable sign is as explained above (under rear of exhaust manifold)

Thought of the 2 oil feed pipes themselves leaking somewhere behind the engine but there does not seem to be any oil running down these towards where the pipes terminate by the oil filter .

Yet another stripdown will show if oil is laying in the V below the inlet bridge & if so leak must be around the oil  cooler area as oil would not end up there from a lower position leak .

As said above the frustrating thing is I cannot see where it is starting from .

Any help or suggestions at all would be great guys , but guess we have exhausted most options  :'( :'( :'( :'(

TIA      Al :y   
Hope I am wrong but IIRC the oil feed to the cylinder head is in the rear corner of the head gasket (so in that general area)

Alternatively the 'new' oil cooler may have a manufacturing defect (maybe the thread wasn't tapped deep enough so even the correct bolt bottoms before clamping the banjo tight or the casting is porous)

Or the banjo to pipe joint has been stressed to the point where it has started leaking.
i seem to remember mentioning that via a pm to Al at the start of the saga, i thought it a possibility but unlikely tbh.

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Big_Al

« Reply #76 on: 01 July 2012, 08:25:41 »

the oil feed to the cylinder head is now a real possibility :( :( it looks like that area as first appearance of oil is right by  No. 6 cylinder head to block  joint just below the exhaust

However oil would not lay in the v  around the oil cooler plate would it ?

I am going to try & strip down sometime this week to see if any oil is laying in the V again .

To give everyone an idea of how much oil is being lost , after running car for 20 mins there is a pool of oil 100mm across on the floor. so quite a big one , :'( :'( I would not attempt to use the car as it is

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 01 July 2012, 08:45:02 »

there is another oilway i believe, middle,top of head, the hole that is kicked out.

jon

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 01 July 2012, 08:53:56 »

the oil feed to the cylinder head is now a real possibility :( :( it looks like that area as first appearance of oil is right by  No. 6 cylinder head to block  joint just below the exhaust

However oil would not lay in the v  around the oil cooler plate would it ?

I am going to try & strip down sometime this week to see if any oil is laying in the V again .

To give everyone an idea of how much oil is being lost , after running car for 20 mins there is a pool of oil 100mm across on the floor. so quite a big one , :'( :'( I would not attempt to use the car as it is
I cannot imagine how it could get on top of the oil cooler plate  :-\ but I can see how it might sit in the area of the cover plate to block seal.

Many years ago I had a weeping banjo oil feed to the cylinder head on my Royal Enfield. I nipped it up, at the motorway services, and set off again. After two miles it had pumped nearly all the oil out of the sump and over my right foot because the pipe had fractured >:( wouldn't surprise me if the same has happened here.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 01 July 2012, 09:21:19 »

I suppose if both oil feed pipes were removed together that would ease the problem of the pipe clamp at the back of the block.

That might be the next course of action really...undo the oil feeds at the oil cooler end and at the block by the oil filter and try and remove them both for a really thorough look.Not sure if they could be tested for leaks but sure if the pipe/joint had a fracture it would be pretty visual.

Still need to be sure that oil is sitting in the hollow of the oil cooler bolt area first though as if thats where oil is sitting I also can,t image how it could be leaking from head/block joint

albitz

« Reply #80 on: 01 July 2012, 14:07:12 »

Got a spare cooler pipe here Al. PM sent. :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #81 on: 01 July 2012, 14:13:17 »

You got PMs Al ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Big_Al

« Reply #82 on: 01 July 2012, 15:16:38 »

Thanks guys, ( Amba, dbug, Andy H, The Red Baron & Albitz ) for the recent input.

Been working this weekend so no progress on the Mig.

I need to find if oil is around the oil cooler plate AGAIN !  so when I can pull it apart  I will let you guys know.

Won't be on it tomorrow evening though ( My birthday :D )  Swmbo's taking me out for din din's. For my present I've asked her for a Vauxhall /GM fully comprehensive oil leak  stopper kit . ....   Large size  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Probably get on it Tuesday evening ::) ::) ::)

Regards, Al :y

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 06 July 2012, 22:43:25 »

anymore news on this Al?.  :)

Big_Al

« Reply #84 on: 06 July 2012, 22:58:46 »

anymore news on this Al?:)

hi Jon,     I'm  looking for a length of rope & a high tree ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though, Been really busy work wise  (no extra  money.. . . just loadsa extra work)  but have stripped down as far as inlet bridge off.

Will post up a new " part 2 "  thread on the leak tomorrow  . .   to knacker*d & stressed tonight  :( :( :( :(

but Oil pipes & unions all OK . . not leaking  . oil still leaking into v though.   But have found a possible leak source  :-[ :-[ :-[

regards, Al :y

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 06 July 2012, 23:16:46 »

Seriously though, Been really busy work wise  (no extra  money.. . . just loadsa extra work)  but have stripped down as far as inlet bridge off.

Will post up a new " part 2 "  thread on the leak tomorrow  . .   to knacker*d & stressed tonight  :( :( :( :(

but Oil pipes & unions all OK . . not leaking  . oil still leaking into v though.   But have found a possible leak source  :-[ :-[ :-[

ok. waiting with baited breath.  ::)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #86 on: 07 July 2012, 17:00:44 »

ok. waiting with baited breath::)

In view of my PMs - likewise Al  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 18 queries.