Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: rllocks. sat in the rain awaiting greenflag.  (Read 13205 times)

05omegav6

Re: rllocks. sat in the rain awaiting greenflag.
« Reply #30 on: 11 April 2013, 10:34:45 »

Any evidence of corrosdion or brittleness on the wiring to the CP?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 April 2013, 10:35:36 »

Any evidence of corrosdion or brittleness on the wiring to the CP?

None noticed .. but I wasn't looking TBH .. I'll check when I take out the other one ...

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 11 April 2013, 10:41:34 »

I only mention it, because I'm quite sure, having replaced both CPs and regularly changing the plugs, that my persistant intermittent misfire is loom related :-\

Given the mileage on yours, the CPs are probably original, so perhaps due for replacement anyway. Can't speak for the plugs as mine are never in that long ::)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 April 2013, 11:28:45 »

2/4/6 and plugs out .. :) 2/4/6 CP has some very tiny cracks , nowhere near as noticeable as the 1/3/5. For some reason the plugs look almost new compared to the other 3....

1/3/5 all have a small brown corrosion mark at the base of the ceramic part ... 2/4/6 are pristine .. :)

So, awaiting parts as they say  :)

and if anyone is breaking/binning a 3.2 in the near future .. I need a new cable tray cover ... this one has now seen better days ( is that how you describe one in 3 bits ??   :)  :) :) )

albitz

« Reply #34 on: 11 April 2013, 11:41:07 »

Its fairly likely that a 3.2 Elite will be being dismantled sometime in the next few months.Who by and when exactly is still uncertain but it will probably happen.A bit vague I know,but cant be more specific at the moment. ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 April 2013, 11:48:16 »

Its fairly likely that a 3.2 Elite will be being dismantled sometime in the next few months.Who by and when exactly is still uncertain but it will probably happen.A bit vague I know,but cant be more specific at the moment. ;)

fair do's ... :)  but if the cable try lid is going spare .. please keep me in mind whoever is involved ...  :)  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #36 on: 11 April 2013, 12:10:30 »

As a reminder, when you refit the CPs be careful to ensure the plug is well clear of the socket at the back of the head :y

They have a tendency to get trapped underneath, and when you bolt the packs down it breaks the outer casing on the plug ::) if I impart one useful thing today, let this be it :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 April 2013, 12:35:25 »

As a reminder, when you refit the CPs be careful to ensure the plug is well clear of the socket at the back of the head :y

They have a tendency to get trapped underneath, and when you bolt the packs down it breaks the outer casing on the plug ::) if I impart one useful thing today, let this be it :y

Noted and thank you ... not a lot of room on the 2/4/6 side is there !!

In answer to your previous Q .. no sing of damage, brittleness, or anything to the cables to either CP ... on the small parts of the cables I can actually see !!!

:)

aaronjb

« Reply #38 on: 11 April 2013, 12:47:08 »

1/3/5 all have a small brown corrosion mark at the base of the ceramic part ... 2/4/6 are pristine .. :)

That brown is a sign of things in the plug wells that probably shouldn't be there, or plugs that have been in a lot longer than 2/4/6 given the difference.. It could be a sign that oil or something similar has been in there:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf

(Number 2, Corona Stain, on the PDF)

Apologies if I'm teaching grandma to suck eggs, to coin a phrase :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11 April 2013, 13:41:31 »

That brown is a sign of things in the plug wells that probably shouldn't be there, or plugs that have been in a lot longer than 2/4/6 given the difference.. It could be a sign that oil or something similar has been in there:

Could be down to a plug on that bank that wasn't sealing well, allowing exhaust fumes by. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 April 2013, 13:45:46 »

Could be down to a plug on that bank that wasn't sealing well, allowing exhaust fumes by. :-\

They were all quite tight, not overtight but needed a firm push to start undoing. Lets hope the new CP's solve the problem .. can't think what else it could be ....  :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 April 2013, 13:47:36 »

It certainly sounded ignition related, so agreed. Coil packs or plugs.

Mine has occasionally thrown a misfire code recently, and is on original coil packs. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #42 on: 11 April 2013, 13:48:46 »

The brown could have been as simple as a slightly less-well-sealed rubber seal on the coil packs letting the atmosphere in, I suppose; the general oil vapour (or maybe it's only mine that has that given the state of the rocker seals ;D) and dirt would soon cause the brown..

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 April 2013, 14:05:43 »

.. ... in a moment of boredom I decided to actually take off the rubber seal around the 1/3/5 pack and have a look ... I was surprised to find this .. which I initially thought might explain a lot, until I realised that was all round the "1" end and the codes I got were 0300, 0303, and 0305  !!!

Never mind .... lets just wait until tomorrow

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11 April 2013, 14:18:51 »

.. ... in a moment of boredom I decided to actually take off the rubber seal around the 1/3/5 pack and have a look ... I was surprised to find this .. which I initially thought might explain a lot, until I realised that was all round the "1" end and the codes I got were 0300, 0303, and 0305  !!!

Looks like new coil packs wouldn't go amiss anyway  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.