kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Re: wheels
« Reply #15 on: 18 August 2013, 11:04:16 »

Er not quite ::)

Suitability depends on the effect that unapproved size tyres/wheels have on suspension geometry and handling characteristics.

Wheels will sit further under the car, coupled with a significantly reduced contact patch, so woukd guess as a minimum that steering will be lighter, and become more twitchy, along with worsened stopping distances, and a tendancy to try and 'trip' over the outside front wheel when pushing on in the twisty bits...

probably you forget that 195/65-15 is also an original size ::) ;D

or was until firms decided to use posh sizes  ;)

Cem, you have no knowledge of UK insurance law. If a driver in the uk has non standard size wheels fitted without declaring it then they have every right to refuse to honour the cover.

On top of that, the 195 width tyres fitted to the Omega as standard have the correct offset ::)

Heads down somebody has picked a fight with cem and tyres/wheels.  ::) :-X ;D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 18 August 2013, 11:08:10 »

Nope, he has simply refuelled after systematically losing being proved wrong to be misguided in tother discussion ;D sometimes people just won't be told ::)

(Says me, a serial Omega owner :-X)
« Last Edit: 18 August 2013, 11:09:57 by ex taxi al »

SandBoy

• King's Lynn
    • 51 Plate 2.2CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 August 2013, 11:09:33 »

I never knew that....so to clarify.....a car has to have factory fitted standards,unless the insurance company is told otherwise,if not it's not insured....is that right?

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 August 2013, 11:12:48 »

I never knew that....so to clarify.....a car has to have factory fitted standards,unless the insurance company is told otherwise,if not it's not insured....is that right?

Not always but they will climb out of an agreement if they find you have changed the car in any way including wheels. so best tell them if they aren't the same size as they left the factory, some even get funny about fitting alloys if steels were fitted. even if the same size ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 August 2013, 11:18:01 »

In the case of a claim, esp where blame has not been formally accepted by a 3rd party, they will spend a great deal of energy looking for ways to either reduce their settlements, or invalidate the insurance altogether. Car, bike, house insurance, they are all the same in my experience over the past 18 months.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 18 August 2013, 11:29:28 »

Technically yes  :-\ and mostly for the reasons that Cem kindly highlighted in my earlier post.

Basically if you have fitted anything that it could reasonably left the factory with, as listed in the hand book, or available as a factory fitted option (such as the Irmscher range), then there is unlikely to be much issue.

Any MV6 or facelift Elite wheel are all the same diameter/width/offset and all should be fitted with 235/45/17 tyres.

Pfl/Mfl Elites and all other facelift alloys are the same diameter/width/offset and should be fitted with 225/55/16 tyres.

15" steel wheels, as fitted to lower spec Pfl and as spares to Fl cars are Omega B specific, that means that although they have a standard Vauxhall 5 stud bolt pattern, their offset is designed specifically for the Omega.

What some people don't quite grasp, is that the wheels fitted to any other 5stud Vauxhall might well bolt on, (the stud pattern is the same), but they have different offsets for front wheel drive applications. This has a bearing on how the wheel performs on a car, and tyre size plays a part in this as well

And for reference, the 18" Irmscher wheels some of us have fitted were supplied to the original purchaser with a Type approval notice detailing the exact tyre sizes acceptable for given applications, and also an approved list of tyres based on what was available at the time.

SandBoy

• King's Lynn
    • 51 Plate 2.2CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 August 2013, 11:36:59 »

Blimey,I bet there are a lot of cars / drivers out there that possibly may have insurance claim probs then :-\

Just been doing check ready for "Goldies" MOT.....tyres are OK :y....but I didnt know that anything hanging or attached to windscreen/internal mirror i.e hanging air freshener or sat nav can be a fail..!

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 August 2013, 11:38:19 »

Blimey,I bet there are a lot of cars / drivers out there that possibly may have insurance claim probs then :-\

Just been doing check ready for "Goldies" MOT.....tyres are OK :y....but I didnt know that anything hanging or attached to windscreen/internal mirror i.e hanging air freshener or sat nav can be a fail..!

*Runs and Hides*
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 August 2013, 11:47:16 »

*Runs and Hides*

+1  :-X ;D ;D ;D ;D

SandBoy

• King's Lynn
    • 51 Plate 2.2CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2013, 11:51:21 »

Yea ...Yea....I know ::) :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #25 on: 18 August 2013, 12:58:06 »

probably you forget that 195/65-15 is also an original size ::) ;D

or was until firms decided to use posh sizes  ;)
Going by OPs profile, its a facelift Elite.  All Vauxhall Elites left the factory with 17", 7.5J rims (FL) or 16", 7J rims (PFL).

whats wrong with using older standard ? same car same weight may be few kgs difference..
UK insurance. Maybe Turkish is more lax, but we have to declare everything. I would also bet, even if declared, putting a narrower tyre on would invalidate it anyway.

Remember, winter tyres need declaring here, then re-declaring when the summers go back on.

;D   :P :-X

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #26 on: 18 August 2013, 13:00:33 »

Technically yes  :-\ and mostly for the reasons that Cem kindly highlighted in my earlier post.

Basically if you have fitted anything that it could reasonably left the factory with, as listed in the hand book, or available as a factory fitted option (such as the Irmscher range), then there is unlikely to be much issue.

Any MV6 or facelift Elite wheel are all the same diameter/width/offset and all should be fitted with 235/45/17 tyres.

Pfl/Mfl Elites and all other facelift alloys are the same diameter/width/offset and should be fitted with 225/55/16 tyres.

15" steel wheels, as fitted to lower spec Pfl and as spares to Fl cars are Omega B specific, that means that although they have a standard Vauxhall 5 stud bolt pattern, their offset is designed specifically for the Omega.

What some people don't quite grasp, is that the wheels fitted to any other 5stud Vauxhall might well bolt on, (the stud pattern is the same), but they have different offsets for front wheel drive applications. This has a bearing on how the wheel performs on a car, and tyre size plays a part in this as well

And for reference, the 18" Irmscher wheels some of us have fitted were supplied to the original purchaser with a Type approval notice detailing the exact tyre sizes acceptable for given applications, and also an approved list of tyres based on what was available at the time.

have you checked the list and specs ::)

if any insurance firm here tries to find a pin hole like that, judges by no means like them so without doubt and any suspicion they (insurance firms) will loose..  and I see no reason that judges in UK will be less logical than ours ;)

and a situation here that you may be unaware in the last years insurance firms loose uncountable numerous cases that this year
insurance premiums increased more than double :o :(
« Last Edit: 18 August 2013, 13:05:06 by cem »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 August 2013, 13:24:05 »

if any insurance firm here tries to find a pin hole like that, judges by no means like them so without doubt and any suspicion they (insurance firms) will loose..  and I see no reason that judges in UK will be less logical than ours ;)
Before you could get it before a judge, you would have to go through the Insurance Onbudsman here, they would have to declare that the insurance company is being unfair, and rule in your favour. Then if the insurance still refuse (to pay out) you have the option to take it to the courts and before a judge, who will then re-evaluate everything.

You may win, but it will be a time consuming process (measured in years), and potentially expensive if either the Onbudsman or the Court rule against you.

I'm glad your Turkish insurance firms are more reasonable, but thats not how things work here. But on the upside, Omegas are dirt cheap to buy here ;D
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #28 on: 18 August 2013, 13:26:10 »

I think we ALL need to remember, on what is an international forum, that what happens at home, does not necessarily happen abroad.

This is getting rediculous now. ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #29 on: 18 August 2013, 15:57:22 »

Before you could get it before a judge, you would have to go through the Insurance Onbudsman here, they would have to declare that the insurance company is being unfair, and rule in your favour. Then if the insurance still refuse (to pay out) you have the option to take it to the courts and before a judge, who will then re-evaluate everything.

You may win, but it will be a time consuming process (measured in years), and potentially expensive if either the Onbudsman or the Court rule against you.

I'm glad your Turkish insurance firms are more reasonable, but thats not how things work here. But on the upside, Omegas are dirt cheap to buy here ;D

well then.. assume I bought an omega in UK (and I assume I live there)  for 250 quid , it wont be expected to pay more than a grand for wheels and tyres (actually which is not valid for me here) ..   so I would normally choose the cheapest route and buy used wheels-tyres from an another vauxhall .. and in case sh*t happens I wont bother with the insurance firm and go buy another ;D :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.