Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Major coolant leak  (Read 11154 times)

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • 2001 2.6 CD Auto Saloon
    • View Profile
Major coolant leak
« on: 24 September 2013, 10:19:59 »

About a month ago my coolant warning came on so I topped up, then about 2 weeks after that it came on again, I couldnt see any leaks or water anywhere, anyway it got to the stage where I had to top up every couple of days and now I could see a big puddle under the car.

What happens is, if the car is cold and I fill the tank right up some of it starts leaking straight away somewhere beneath or near (I think) the HB valve, then it stops until the thermostat opens and then more starts leaking, I have removed the scuttle and jacked the car up but cant find exactly where it is coming from, I have been reading about removing the plenum, will this give me more access to the area in and around the HBV area, just to add I'm alomost 100% sure the HBV is not leaking.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Major coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2013, 10:28:27 »

About a month ago my coolant warning came on so I topped up, then about 2 weeks after that it came on again, I couldnt see any leaks or water anywhere, anyway it got to the stage where I had to top up every couple of days and now I could see a big puddle under the car.

What happens is, if the car is cold and I fill the tank right up some of it starts leaking straight away somewhere beneath or near (I think) the HB valve, then it stops until the thermostat opens and then more starts leaking, I have removed the scuttle and jacked the car up but cant find exactly where it is coming from, I have been reading about removing the plenum, will this give me more access to the area in and around the HBV area, just to add I'm alomost 100% sure the HBV is not leaking.

The HBV can leak only at specific heat settings/outside temp/engine temp .. often a bugger to prove. Other leak source in that area is the coolant bridge/oil cooler area, removeing the plenum allows a very good view of those areas and a better, but still not good, view of the HBV.

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2013, 10:42:14 »

Thanks, I will remove the plenum and report back.

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2013, 12:36:45 »

Plenums off but now I dont think the leak is in that area, I had a really bright torch and I just noticed water dripping from the right front of the engine near some pullys on the aux belt, my mates coming round later for a closer look so I should be able to provide some better details later.

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2013, 16:22:44 »

You do have to pin down where the leak is coming from but the most likely candidate in that area is the water pump. The pump is attached to the block just about central as you look at the V6 from the front (diagrams etc on here detail the location). In my case, when the water pump failed, the leaking started/continued from the front of the pump not far behind the pulley (not from the seal at the block). The timing belt cover has to come off to view properly and to change the pump. The thermostat and transfer pipe sits in the area above the water pump so there is a coolant flow there too.

Make sure you find the source before changing parts.

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2013, 20:15:19 »

Thanks for the help guys, my mate seems to think it's the water pump as well, problem is the MOT is due in December and I have never been able to fix the TC and ABS lights on all the time problem and I am led to believe that is now an automatic MOT falure, so I cant really justify spending money and time fixing the water pump for a couple of months use, I dont have a garage or a drive so cant break her up for parts, looks like a call to the scrappy tomorrow (sob) how much can I expect from him.

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2013, 20:47:02 »

Personally speaking, I wouldn't scrap it for those faults and there is a wealth of information and member experience on here to help you sort the issues. I hope you decide to keep your Omega on the road!

Regards and best of luck with it whatever you decide.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2013, 20:49:09 »

Thanks for the help guys, my mate seems to think it's the water pump as well, problem is the MOT is due in December and I have never been able to fix the TC and ABS lights on all the time problem and I am led to believe that is now an automatic MOT falure, so I cant really justify spending money and time fixing the water pump for a couple of months use, I dont have a garage or a drive so cant break her up for parts, looks like a call to the scrappy tomorrow (sob) how much can I expect from him.

ABS & TC could very well be the ABS ECU, there's always cars being broken here that you could repair your car from relatively cheaply.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2013, 20:58:57 »

ABS & TC could very well be the ABS ECU, there's always cars being broken here that you could repair your car from relatively cheaply.

Even if a 2nd hand part is not available, a repair to your existing ECU with a 2 year warranty will only cost around £100-130, add the waterpump and the price is still much less than an unknown replacement car with probably more faults ... :(

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2013, 22:14:28 »

How hard is it to change the water pump, do I have to remove the cam belt or anything like that  or do timing ? if it is just removing some bits and bobs and swapping pumps out I could probably handle it but cam belt changes and timing is beyond me.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2013, 23:05:56 »

How hard is it to change the water pump, do I have to remove the cam belt or anything like that  or do timing ? if it is just removing some bits and bobs and swapping pumps out I could probably handle it but cam belt changes and timing is beyond me.

A water pump can be changed without disturbing the cam belt. Easy once you get the stuff from the front of the engine off.  ;)

I'm sure that you could get the cam belt done fairly inexpensively via the forum if you need to  ;)

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2013, 16:36:29 »

Not sure what I am going to do yet guys but I cant find a guide for changing the water pump in the maintenance section, can ayone help with one ?

I did find one for a 2.5TD is it the same for a 2.6 ? http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90622.0
« Last Edit: 26 September 2013, 16:45:26 by Mart280 »

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2013, 17:02:05 »

There is a DVD you can buy from OOF (V6 cambelt change) that also details fully the water pump change. It is not a difficult job to change the pump but the 'access' work is common with changing the cambelt. That is you have to access the same area but don't need to do the cambelt bits (unless it is due of course and then you will then need additional locking kit tools). You need to torque everything up correctly on reassembly. If you have a Haynes manual around it will get you there but the DVD will save you loads of time and worry.

Hope this helps.

Deuce

• Colchester
    • Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2013, 17:12:25 »

Could it be a leaking radiator drain tap? Common on these.

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2013, 17:33:42 »

I've just ordered the V6 DVD and will have a go at fitting a new pump, i'm pretty sure it's coming from the front of the engine and not the rad, is there anything else in the front of the engine  that it could be other than the water pump, it leaks out really fast when I pour water in the coolant tank ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.