Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Major coolant leak  (Read 11157 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Major coolant leak
« Reply #45 on: 12 October 2013, 13:21:35 »

Thats why I asked which pulley it was  Amba beat me to it take the steering pump off so that it can be worked on in the shed, garage, kitchen table.
Is it that easy? Haynes says first degas the aircon, then remove the pulley. Is there a better way of doing it?

05omegav6

« Reply #46 on: 12 October 2013, 13:35:49 »

It would seem that the aircon compressor is bolted to the power steering pump bracket :-\

Removing the radiator won't improve access as the aircon condensor and front fans will still be in the way :-\

Pulley off and see what's left to work with :y

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • 2001 2.6 CD Auto Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 12 October 2013, 14:10:09 »

Chopped the head off the nut and the stud came out by hand, what a bastard and ultimately all for nothing because my water pump isnt leaking but the thermostat is and it was running down onto the pump.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 12 October 2013, 14:21:37 »

Good news it has come free atlast , and probably heat/shock lossened it enough that the final straw was "having its head chopped off" :y

Also better to be able to find the cause of the leak..thermostat is not such a bad job just have the swear box ready for getting the B bolt back in afterwards.Remember its wise to also have the transfer pipe available when you replace the stat and housing as you may need to brake the lug if you cant spilt the 2 pipes..also you will require the 2 O rings for the transfer pipe..they come with the pipe from VX if you buy new.

Onward and upwards ;)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 12 October 2013, 16:37:25 »

you say chopped the head off the nut if its the pulley we are talking about this is held with a bolt

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 12 October 2013, 17:42:38 »

you say chopped the head off the nut if its the pulley we are talking about this is held with a bolt

yes it's a bolt my mistake.

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 12 October 2013, 18:02:06 »

Chopped the head off the nut and the stud came out by hand, what a bastard and ultimately all for nothing because my water pump isnt leaking but the thermostat is and it was running down onto the pump.
Good to know you have found the leak. No doubt you will be considering why the stat is leaking? Is it just not torqued down correctly, has the gasket failed is the leak from the 'O' rings? If the stat is operating correctly, no need to replace it? So loads of hassle but you may well be sorting this out at minimum cost. I hope you sort it, I'll be keeping an eye on the thread out of interest and support!

albitz

« Reply #52 on: 12 October 2013, 18:11:22 »

You sure its the stat housing leaking and not the cooler plate near the stat. Cooler plates are more prone to leakage than stat housings ime. Worth double checking. ;)

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 12 October 2013, 18:18:04 »

You sure its the stat housing leaking and not the cooler plate near the stat. Cooler plates are more prone to leakage than stat housings ime. Worth double checking. ;)

Whats a cooler plate, it might be that, I dont know it's starting to do my head in a bit.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 12 October 2013, 18:36:58 »

I would replace the thermostat if there is any doubt. I replaced mine recently and when I took the old one out to look at it would seem to be OK but when tested  water would flow  through it when cold, it must have been sticking open a tiny bit that was not noticable looking at it. now nice and quick warm up.

05omegav6

« Reply #55 on: 12 October 2013, 18:44:23 »

cadillac cateraart280 link=topic=118144.msg1503103#msg1503103 date=1381598284]

Whats a cooler plate, it might be that, I dont know it's starting to do my head in a bit.
[/quote]
Will be obvious once you have the inlet manifold and bridge off :y

Would start stripping the plenum and inlet manifold before touching the bastid bolt, just in case it is the oil cooler cover plate :-\ at least that way you can be certain of the leak, and throw the inlet back on until parts arrive so you're not stuck without a car :y
« Last Edit: 12 October 2013, 18:51:14 by ex taxi al »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 12 October 2013, 18:53:26 »

As always, a bolt is only tight when it has something to tighten down to.

Remove the head of the bolt and provided there is something which can be removed, the bolt will no longer be tight.

It'll be just a loose screw in a thread!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 12 October 2013, 19:23:07 »

The oil cooler cover plate sits in the centre of the 'V' and runs the length of the 'V'. If you have a look at the guide on here for changing the oil cooler you will see a picture and full detail. There is a coolant flow below, exchanging heat from the oil (via the cooler) to the coolant. As earlier, make sure you have found the leak before changing parts.

albitz

« Reply #58 on: 12 October 2013, 20:45:37 »

Its the plate which sits on top of the oil cooler (have a look at guide for oil cooler changing and that will make it obvious.It runs the length of the V and comes to an end just before the stat. :y

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 14 October 2013, 15:43:38 »

Just found the leak  :) and it is the cooler plate, there is a big nut on it near the front and it has corroded away there, there is a big hole, now I need a new one, scrappy or new one ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.