Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: gearbox stuck on splines?l  (Read 11904 times)

05omegav6

Re: gearbox stuck on splines?l
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2014, 17:04:54 »

Terry have you tried levering it with a pry bar or similar :-\

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2014, 17:12:11 »

This clutch has slipped on and off for the last four years. It is now bad.
I have disconnected the gear linkage, and the rod is hanging down clear of the lever foot. I have disconnected the hydraulic pipe at the master cylinder..
I have attached a rope to the exhaust support bracket and heaved on it. Trouble there is the rope is elastic, and I feel I am pulling against the clutch springs. It needs a jerk or an impact to free it. Glad Andy agrees that rust on unused spline section is likely cause.

I am sensible of the danger of pulling the car off the axle stands if I use the estate to heave. The rear wheels are chocked, handbrake is hard on, and I can put ramps under the front wheels to minimise danger. It would still leave the jack under the gearbox.

There is about an inch gap between crankcase and gearbox.

Wife and I have tried rocking car in and out, me pulling the jack handle forward, she pulling the rope back. All we achieved was to move the jack base forward under the gearbox.
When I took my box out I think I also removed a steel plate that connects the back of the gearbox to the base of the gear lever surround  :-\ never really worked out if it was absolutely necessary to remove it or whether I should have been able to tie it up out of the way  :-\ :-\
I have had a look. It does indeed seem to be attached to gearbox at front and body at gearstick base. Pictures follow.https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mf7d6bu3qiy95v/gbPLATEfront.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqqwh7dz5upb9uh/gbPLATErear.jpg

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2014, 17:19:10 »

That's why it won't budge ::)

Remove the two bolts that run horizontally forward above the prop out put, the push the plate up, it should spring forward as the box is out.

Should then drop out :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2014, 17:22:02 »

Haynes said 7a.4 11 On all models slacken and remove the two bolts securing the rear of the transmission ubit to the upper mounting bracket. I did not understand that, so did not do it. It is not mentioned in the OOF maintenance guide.

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2014, 17:32:52 »

I only followed the Haynes guide tbh... I freely admit I haven't read the guide on here :-[

Guess that bit got overlooked when James did the gearbox swap as I suspect it was fitted as a single complete lump, gear lever and all :-\

Keep at it, though, you'll have it out and the clutch stripped before tea if that's all that was stopping you :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 January 2014, 17:50:43 »

If you dont have any luck can you make up a stretcher from a couple of bolts and spread it apart but a crow bar should do the same.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 January 2014, 18:44:46 »

No joy. I cannot push it back in or hammer it back in. I have not any bolts long enough to pull it back in. The prop shaft bolts look similar, but they are a different pitch. It si well and truly stuck.
I think you have probably pulled the splined shaft out of the clutch centre but because the steel plate is still in place everything is now under compression.

Put the gearbox into gear (4th or 5th) and waggle the output spider until the splines re-engage and allow the gearbox to move forward again.

undo the two bolts on the support plate and push it up out of the way and the gearbox should be out before you know it (take care it doesn't catch you by surprise)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 19 January 2014, 18:46:50 »

No joy. I cannot push it back in or hammer it back in. I have not any bolts long enough to pull it back in. The prop shaft bolts look similar, but they are a different pitch. It si well and truly stuck.
I think you have probably pulled the splined shaft out of the clutch centre but because the steel plate is still in place everything is now under compression.

Put the gearbox into gear (4th or 5th) and waggle the output spider until the splines re-engage and allow the gearbox to move forward again.

undo the two bolts on the support plate and push it up out of the way and the gearbox should be out before you know it (take care it doesn't catch you by surprise)

Should fall out with that plate now unbolted... :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 January 2014, 19:10:28 »

I put it into fifth gear, but could not turn the spider.

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2014, 19:19:36 »

Splines still in place then... is that plate now unbolted?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 January 2014, 19:36:50 »

That's why it won't budge ::)

Remove the two bolts that run horizontally forward above the prop out put, the push the plate up, it should spring forward as the box is out.

Should then drop out :y
I have removed the two horizontal bolts pointing forward connecting the plate with the gearbox and the plate sprang up. But the gearbox is still stuck.

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 19 January 2014, 19:50:03 »

Tap the sides of the pressure plate with a suitable implement and keep jiggling. Don't know what else to suggest beyond emptying a can of plusgas as high as you can into the gap between the box and engine from both sides, hoping some gets to the input shaft overnight and start fresh in the morning :-\

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 January 2014, 19:59:29 »

Tap the sides of the pressure plate with a suitable implement and keep jiggling. Don't know what else to suggest beyond emptying a can of plusgas as high as you can into the gap between the box and engine from both sides, hoping some gets to the input shaft overnight and start fresh in the morning :-\
I cannot see the pressure plate to hit it. I cannot get Plus Gas around here, no-one stocks it. One of the axle stands is now standing on two legs, looks dodgy. Trouble is my jack is under the gearbox. This job is getting out of hand.  I will try to make things safe and leave it overnight while we all think about it. I still do not understand it.

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 19 January 2014, 20:05:07 »

I cannot see the pressure plate to hit it. I cannot get Plus Gas around here, no-one stocks it. One of the axle stands is now standing on two legs, looks dodgy. Trouble is my jack is under the gearbox. This job is getting out of hand.  I will try to make things safe and leave it overnight while we all think about it. I still do not understand it.
Ah ok, I hadn't allowed for the depth of the flywheel...

Lower the jack and use it to reposition that axle stand before you do ANYTHING else. Hanging free for a couple of minutes won't hurt anything, and might actually see the box out.

Sorry I can't do owt else remotely :-\

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 January 2014, 20:43:01 »

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions. I do not think anything is broken, though the gearbox is still stuck on for some reason. I do not understand why it is still stuck. I expect in the morning someone will crack it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.