Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Strugging to attach gearbox to engine  (Read 9304 times)

05omegav6

Re: Strugging to attach gearbox to engine
« Reply #45 on: 26 November 2015, 22:07:47 »

I always leave that plate attached to the car...
I didn't leave it attached the first time, I think I might have followed the instructions in the book of lies Haynes manual  ::)

I didn't make that mistake the second time  ;)
Obviously you have to unbolt the front end from the box and rasise it up and forward so that it sits just ontop of the box body... failing to do this results in alot of cursing when it dawns on you that it's the reason the box won't pull free :-X

Not that I have ever done it of course ::)

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 November 2015, 08:46:26 »

On the pics I took when I changed the clutch on my 3.2 January 2014 the orange washer was above the plate. It makes more sense there, that's where I shall put it. I conclude this car has already had one new clutch.

Yeah, looking at the pic in EPC, it goes between the base of the gear lever housing and the support plate - so your photo has it in the correct place.
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 27 November 2015, 10:33:08 »

I have a new problem. I cannot engage the front 2 bolts of 4 that should attach the plate to the gear lever housing. In the pic attached 3 are clearly visible. The rear 2 are engaged, but the front 2 just shove up and engage in nothing. I presumed a captive thread would await them; not so. Coming from above, I have removed the gear lever leather surround, but find beneath it a rubber gaiter I cannot remove. Please advise best course of action.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9iuwif005vaytrk/Gleverbolts50%25.jpg?dl=0

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27 November 2015, 10:46:27 »

looking back over this post you did not say if and how you got the gearbox back into  place,  information on which tools you used might be of help to others with similar problem.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27 November 2015, 10:50:22 »

My recollection is that there is a big square plastic lump that surrounds the gear stick with a bolt hole in each corner. Once you take the bolts out it is free to float off inside the car - only restrained by the gaiter. Another reason not to do it the way Haynes says ::)

I could be wrong though because it is at least 10 years since I dropped an Omega gearbox :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

05omegav6

« Reply #50 on: 27 November 2015, 13:03:06 »

Cannot see the pic, but why on earth did you remove the gear lever ???

It sounds like you have made a strsightforward, if heavy, 23 bolt job into utter chaos :-\

Apologies if that comes across as rude and unhelpful, but at this point I have nothing else to offer :-[
« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 13:05:00 by Harris K Telemacher »

05omegav6

« Reply #51 on: 27 November 2015, 13:06:43 »

My recollection is that there is a big square plastic lump that surrounds the gear stick with a bolt hole in each corner. Once you take the bolts out it is free to float off inside the car - only restrained by the gaiter. Another reason not to do it the way Haynes says ::)

I could be wrong though because it is at least 10 years since I dropped an Omega gearbox :-\
So that's going to be front seats, centre console and carpets out then :o

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27 November 2015, 13:19:55 »

looking back over this post you did not say if and how you got the gearbox back into  place,  information on which tools you used might be of help to others with similar problem.
(quote) Good point; all these jobs involve tricks, learned by experience. I have a lot to learn.
I bought the alignment tool recommended, and aligned friction plate with spigot bearing. I screwed three 75mm long studs into threads in block, then pushed gearbox on jack onto the studs. It rolled all the way in until I could insert the 2 bolts which screw into the grearbox. These screwed up easily. pulling GB onto crankcase. I then inserted 4 more bolts, then inserted the rear mounting bolts into car body.

I have a pit, and I used it, but it was a mixed blessing on this job because of need to extract GB and return it under the car. Technique now is handbrake on, front o/s wheel chocked, jack up rear n/s corner, support car, then manoeuvre jack and GB under car, I then slither into pit and wife lowers car onto wheels. I then attach GB to engine, and summon wife who releases handbrake.After a cuppa, I replaced all bolts and torqued up.

05omegav6

« Reply #53 on: 27 November 2015, 13:26:05 »

At least the box is back it :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27 November 2015, 13:30:02 »

Cannot see the pic, but why on earth did you remove the gear lever ???

It sounds like you have made a strsightforward, if heavy, 23 bolt job into utter chaos :-\

Apologies if that comes across as rude and unhelpful, but at this point I have nothing else to offer :-[
Sorry you can't see the pic, it opens for me when I click it.
I did not remove the gear lever, I raised it a bit to insert the washer above the plate..
I don't thnk the block is floarting about restarined only by the gaiter, because the rear bolts are in, its just the front bolts that are not engaging. I imagined that the block had threads at each corner, and that if 2 engaged they all would. Now I wonder if there are nuts involved.

05omegav6

« Reply #55 on: 27 November 2015, 13:44:22 »

No need to apologise, summat about dropbox that my tablet doesn't agree with I suspect ::)

Will have ready access and time on Tuesday to have a good look/take pics... I have never paid the inside fixings of the gearlever that much attention tbh, so not currently much help :-\

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 27 November 2015, 14:36:00 »

So that's going to be front seats, centre console and carpets out then :o
It isn't as bad as that, it can't go far because the gear stick goes  through the middle of it.
What you need now is a spare hand inside the car to push down on it while you try  get the bolts in  :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27 November 2015, 14:59:07 »

you need your wife again its good you are on speaking terms otherwise she might have left you under the car until you were thin enough to crawl out.

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27 November 2015, 15:54:22 »

There are no nuts as such - the bolts go into a pair of flat bars that have a threaded hole at each end.  By removing the 4 bolts that hold the gear lever mounting onto the support panel, you will have allowed these 2 flat bars to move about (#19 on the diagram below), sounds like you've been unlucky and one has moved too far to be able to catch it with the bolt.

2 ways to fix this...
1) reach your hand to the top of the mounting block (#18 on the diagram) and feel for the loose bar and return it to its correct place - perhaps feel around the good side first so you can get the idea of what it is and where it goes
2) from above, drill out the pop rivets that hold the gear lever gaiter onto the transmission tunnel, you will then be able to see clearly where the errant part is

« Last Edit: 27 November 2015, 16:12:26 by sjc »

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 27 November 2015, 16:08:51 »

I can post a pic of the top of the mounting if it helps, but I'm pretty sure you'll find the one that's moved because there's not exactly a lot of places it can go  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.