Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Strugging to attach gearbox to engine  (Read 9305 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Strugging to attach gearbox to engine
« Reply #60 on: 28 November 2015, 00:20:24 »

Thanks, sjc. I imagined something like that, and it explains why the rear 2 bolts engage while the front 2 do not. As you say, it cannot be far away. I shall ponder how best to relocate it. Al's 'seats out carpets out central console out' seems a bit extreme just to save a 15 year old gaiter from damage. I had in mind cutting it with a Stanley knife, and repairing it afterwards.

05omegav6

« Reply #61 on: 28 November 2015, 00:36:28 »

Depends where the offending part has escaped to ::)

That said, sounds like it won't have gotten far :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 28 November 2015, 07:21:04 »

Now I appreciate your first suggestion, sjc. You are saying that, working from below, I raise the gear lever, put my hand through the hole and feel around for the missing plate, then replace it in it's slot. I am not sure my hand is that small, but, good suggestion. In the cool light of morning I appreciate that seats  out carpets out console out is not impossible, I have done all these tasks on Senators and they were not too bad, just boring; I imagine the Omega is similar. I wonder if console alone might suffice.

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 28 November 2015, 09:10:06 »

I think if you unbolt the rear of the support plate, it will come down far enough for you to get your hand in to the top of the mounting block.

If that doesn't work and you need to go in from above and intend to cut the gaiter (i.e. you don't have a rivet gun) then you only need to lift up the outer leather gaiter to have reasonable access to the lower rubber one.  You could then feel where the mounting block is by squeezing the gaiter so that you can make a small cut in the correct area and get a finger in to relocate the little bar.

If you decide to drill out the rivets for the lower gaiter securing plate, it is just a centre console out job, def not seats and carpets!
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 28 November 2015, 09:14:06 »

BTW, I'm pretty sure the bar with the threaded holes will still be on the top of the mounting block, just not in it's correct place, probably fallen in towards the gear lever itself.  As I say, if you can get your hand in to feel around the top of the block on the good side, you'll get an idea what part you're looking for and where it needs to go on the other side.

Don't remove the 2 bolts you've managed to get in so far!  ;D
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 28 November 2015, 09:52:21 »

Leaving the screws in place means leaving the plate in place. I'm not sure my hand is that flexible.                               

05omegav6

« Reply #66 on: 28 November 2015, 10:01:53 »

Seats and carpets only because I had visions of things disappearing down the side of the tunnel ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 29 November 2015, 13:48:46 »

No need to cut the gaiter, or drill out rivets, the gaiter peels off its surround, and reveals all. Pics follow of the elusive curved twin nut piece, and the base of the gear lever. Nut piece was lying within the plastic base, as sjc predicted.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9j8nwh05nz4bh5n/GEARlevCLIP50%25jpg.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4ms8uf4c3suz5q/gearLEVERbase50%25.jpg?dl=0
Would someone please tell me how to make my pics appear without the need to click on a link.

05omegav6

« Reply #68 on: 29 November 2015, 14:00:08 »

I can see both of those... Which makes no sense to me :-\

Tunnie did a guide for posting pics, in the FAQ iirc

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 29 November 2015, 21:54:05 »

It occurs to me that it should be easy to change a gear lever, if one has a tatty one and a spare better one. I have never kept one on scrapping a car, but I will next time. Are all Omega manual gear levers the same?

05omegav6

« Reply #70 on: 29 November 2015, 22:05:41 »

It occurs to me that it should be easy to change a gear lever, if one has a tatty one and a spare better one. I have never kept one on scrapping a car, but I will next time. Are all Omega manual gear levers the same?
Some boxes might have reverse in the opposite corner, but suspect tbe lever itself is a component common to all :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 29 November 2015, 22:32:49 »

The reverse prevention device can be seen in my second picture, and would only work on a right hand reverse movement. However all the Omegas I have ever owned were RH reverse.

05omegav6

« Reply #72 on: 30 November 2015, 04:41:00 »

I only mention it as Irmscher used to list both for the Omega :y

Odd one out might well be the manual 2.5td/i...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 30 November 2015, 05:31:07 »

Quite an ingenious piece of kit, the  floor mounted remote control gear change. Gear changes used to have long levers going forward straight into the top of the gearbox. I learned to drive in 1956 on an Austin A40 Somerst, with a steering column change and bench front seat. My Austin Mini (1960) had a long lever gear change, and I bought a kit to convert it to floor mounted remote control, with rods and sliders. It worked OK as installed, but was exposed under the car and full of metal to metal joints and sliders, rattled all the time and got stiff as mud caked the external parts. I soon removed it and replaced the original 'magic wand' lever.
Nowadays they are well evolved, and using plastics work well for the life of the car without maintenance and are taken for granted.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 30 November 2015, 17:54:50 »

Would someone please tell me how to make my pics appear without the need to click on a link.

You need to copy the direct link address of the photo, then click on the `insert image` link above the first smiley on the left then paste the link address between the two image links.

I don`t know about dropbox but photobucket has a one click direct link for photo`s which makes it easy for posting pics.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.