Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Project TB2 - Update 6  (Read 6737 times)

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Project TB2 - Update 6
« Reply #60 on: 11 April 2007, 15:55:52 »

Just a wild idea / long shot / stab in the dark etc. - and probably wrong - but is there a hose that is collapsing when hot?  This would either severely reduce or even stop the flow of coolant.  It would also increase the pressure................  Are any hoses pinched in some way i.e. caught between ancillaries / engine components etc?

It is possible I suppose that the 3 caps are damaged in some way due to excess pressure but somehow I doubt it.

Finally, sorry if the above is plain stupid but it is all I can think of!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 11 April 2007, 16:00:02 »

Just a wild idea / long shot / stab in the dark etc. - and probably wrong - but is there a hose that is collapsing when hot?  This would either severely reduce or even stop the flow of coolant.  It would also increase the pressure................  Are any hoses pinched in some way i.e. caught between ancillaries / engine components etc?

It is possible I suppose that the 3 caps are damaged in some way due to excess pressure but somehow I doubt it.

All posts gratefully received, read, and considered :y :y

The coolant system on the tractor appears to be around the engine, 1 think hose from head to rad, the rad, 1 think hose from rad to stat, stat to engine (obviously the pump somewhere in the block as well).

So only 2 hoses are the 2 big ones from to/from rad.  They do look absolutely fine though.
Grumpy old man

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 11 April 2007, 16:40:51 »

OK

Another thought - you have replaced the original expansion tank with one from a V6.  A further long shot - I wonder is the design pressure for the expansion cap is too low?  If it is this would explain the cap blowing off and loosing water.  It would also explain the overheating as, when the pressure is released by the cap, the boiling point of the coolant is reduced.

As I say, another long shot, but worth considering.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 11 April 2007, 16:45:31 »

OK
I wonder is the design pressure for the expansion cap is too low?

Often the pressure is stamped into the cap itself.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 11 April 2007, 17:07:03 »

OK

Another thought - you have replaced the original expansion tank with one from a V6.  A further long shot - I wonder is the design pressure for the expansion cap is too low?  If it is this would explain the cap blowing off and loosing water.  It would also explain the overheating as, when the pressure is released by the cap, the boiling point of the coolant is reduced.

As I say, another long shot, but worth considering.
Its running a v6 expansion tank, as the diesel one suffers the same symptoms...
Grumpy old man

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 11 April 2007, 17:32:05 »

Its not stupid, I had a car where the hose collapsed internally (they are made of two layers of rubber sandwiching a fabric layer) from outside it looked OK but the bore was almost completely blocked by the inner layer which had separated from the fabric part.
Only clue was that it felt very soft to squeeze.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 11 April 2007, 20:27:42 »

Right then, went to Towcester to go shopping, about 10 miles away, all dual carriageway, kept it at constant 70mph. Bear in mind I currently have the drilled stat in.  Stayed below 90 degrees most of the way, couple of times did go up to 92ish.  On arrival at Tescos, I had lost probably 1l of coolant, nicely sprayed around suspension strut and airbox.

So we did our shopping, and I then filled the coolant back up, and put on the cap that Omegatoy got from the diesel in the scrappy.  Drove back, constant 70mph, temperatures same as before, mainly near the end stop, but occasionally rising up to 92ish.  However, upon arriving home, the cap was hissing (this cap even hisses when you drain coolant, but forget to remove cap, so I had written it off as knackered), but had lost minimal coolant.  Undoing the cap slightly, and it did exactly what I would expect a hot car to do - hiss voilently, and start to boil in the bottle.  Radiator was hot all over - too hot to hold for too long.

Feeling like a better test was needed, I wired up the leccy fans (and the intercooler fan) and took it for a decent thrashing, only to be prevented from doing so by today's ridiculously slow drivers.  Opened it up when I could.  Temp was around 90 - 92, dropping back down to endstop whislt following grandma and grandad.  Again hissing, but minimal coolant loss (though defo still some)....
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 11 April 2007, 20:31:55 »

I was nowhere near you today..... :-?
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 11 April 2007, 20:36:44 »

I was nowhere near you today..... :-?
Not you AA - you drive at 45 everywhere. These idiots were crawling. I could have pushed the car faster!
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 11 April 2007, 20:38:14 »

Right then, went to Towcester to go shopping, about 10 miles away, all dual carriageway, kept it at constant 70mph. Bear in mind I currently have the drilled stat in.  Stayed below 90 degrees most of the way, couple of times did go up to 92ish.  On arrival at Tescos, I had lost probably 1l of coolant, nicely sprayed around suspension strut and airbox.

So we did our shopping, and I then filled the coolant back up, and put on the cap that Omegatoy got from the diesel in the scrappy.  Drove back, constant 70mph, temperatures same as before, mainly near the end stop, but occasionally rising up to 92ish.  However, upon arriving home, the cap was hissing (this cap even hisses when you drain coolant, but forget to remove cap, so I had written it off as knackered), but had lost minimal coolant.  Undoing the cap slightly, and it did exactly what I would expect a hot car to do - hiss voilently, and start to boil in the bottle.  Radiator was hot all over - too hot to hold for too long.

Feeling like a better test was needed, I wired up the leccy fans (and the intercooler fan) and took it for a decent thrashing, only to be prevented from doing so by today's ridiculously slow drivers.  Opened it up when I could.  Temp was around 90 - 92, dropping back down to endstop whislt following grandma and grandad.  Again hissing, but minimal coolant loss (though defo still some)....

Hmmm thats interesting, with a lot of holes drilled you effectively have permanent flow ignoring the bypass system, wonder if the new stat is faulty? the answer is here somewhere just cant get it out in the open yet!!!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 11 April 2007, 20:44:08 »

Hmmm thats interesting, with a lot of holes drilled you effectively have permanent flow ignoring the bypass system, wonder if the new stat is faulty? the answer is here somewhere just cant get it out in the open yet!!!!
My current theory is all my caps are faulty....
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 11 April 2007, 20:49:24 »

Why not run it without a thermostat?
I like red cars

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 11 April 2007, 21:04:28 »

I suppose its possible that they were all exploded with teh original blocked radiator/ seems strange that you loose minimal coolant with the diesel one tho in spite of its hissing all the time?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 11 April 2007, 21:16:02 »

I suppose its possible that they were all exploded with teh original blocked radiator/ seems strange that you loose minimal coolant with the diesel one tho in spite of its hissing all the time?
I had written the diesel one off as faulty, as it even hisses when you undo the rad drain screw with the cap left on...  :-/

But it does seem to be the best cap  :-/

Maybe you could try my cap(s) and see what you get?
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 11 April 2007, 21:19:56 »

I had written the diesel one off as faulty, as it even hisses when you undo the rad drain screw with the cap left on...  :-/

But it does seem to be the best cap  :-/

Maybe you could try my cap(s) and see what you get?

would rather you tried mine!! i have new antifreeze in and dont want to lose it!!! give you a text when i get home tomorrow as i have a short day!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.