Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5TD poor starting  (Read 5018 times)

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5TD poor starting
« Reply #30 on: 23 April 2009, 08:37:10 »

Well done - and a great reference picture for future TD owners who struggle with it!  :y

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 April 2009, 09:43:30 »

Still waiting for no 6 to arrive and to collect gasket, I guess thats straightforward? Cant see where one was?
Im going to do an oil change very soon :D :D :D :D, should I change the oil filter now why I can get to it? or will that be a waste of time if not changing oil until next week?

Cybertrucker

• Lichfield, Staffs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 April 2009, 09:54:24 »

Changing the filter first won't be as good as changing them both together, because the old oil will contaminate your nice new filter.  How badly it will contaminate the filter will depend on the state of the old oil - if it looks relatively clean then it might not be too bad, but if your old oil looks like you could make roads with it then definitely not!

Why not approach the question from the other end - as you can get to the filter easily now, and you've got to wait for the other heater plug to arrive anyway, why not do your oil change now?  The only other thing you've got to do is take the sump plug out and the job's done!   ;D

Brilliant job so far, by the way, and a very useful picture - you can come and change the heater plugs on mine when they need doing!   :y

http://www.cybertrucker.co.uk - Truck stuff
http://www.abd.org.uk - Association of British Drivers
My other car is a Granada.
My other other car is a Dennis.

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 April 2009, 10:55:30 »

That thought had crossed my mind :D I guess I need ramps or trolley jack so not sure when I can get them. My dads got both! What oil do you suggest? As for doing your glow plugs  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cybertrucker

• Lichfield, Staffs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 April 2009, 11:32:24 »

That thought had crossed my mind :D I guess I need ramps or trolley jack so not sure when I can get them. My dads got both! What oil do you suggest? As for doing your glow plugs  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'd suggest not ramps, because once you've got the sump plug out you might need to get the car level again so all the oil drains out - depending on the shape of the sump there might be oil left in it if the car's tipped backwards.  Trolley jack would be better so you can lower it once the plug's out and raise it again to put the plug back in again once all the oil's out.

You need an axle stand or something else to take the weight of the car while you're underneath it though - NEVER go under a car supported only by a hydraulic jack as they can suddenly fail.  Yes, we've all done it, me included, but someone my Dad knows had a trolley jack drop a car on him last year and it took him two days to die.  I need you to change my glow plugs, so use an axle stand, okay?   ;)

I can't advise you on which oil to use, as I haven't changed mine yet so I haven't looked into it.  I'm sure someone else will be along in a minute who can advise you on that though, or you might find something elsewhere on the forum.  Good luck!  Oh, and roll your sleeve up before you take the sump plug out - it's easier to get oil off your arm than it is to get it out of your best shirt!  ;D
http://www.cybertrucker.co.uk - Truck stuff
http://www.abd.org.uk - Association of British Drivers
My other car is a Granada.
My other other car is a Dennis.

largecol

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesbrough
  • I cant see my socks!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 April 2009, 12:02:36 »

Hello mate, as said, well done on the job so far!! :y The best oil for the TD is 10/40 semi-synthetic, and dont forget regular changes(around 3k), also make sure you get the correct oil filter as there are 2 types dependant on engine number :y :y :y
Pssssst! The man in my avatar aint really me!!

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 April 2009, 12:11:28 »

Best way to go is Vx -

You can buy it on TC 4 for the price of 3 - 20 litres for £32.67+vat which will be enough for 3 x oil changes (6l a time) and you will have some left for top ups.

3 x filters cost £15.54+vat

So for £55 you will have 3 oil changes - for me about 6 months!!

PS - I use ramps for draining as the plug is at the back of the sump, but roll it off them when refilling to get a true dipstick reading. Also, it might sound strange - but put some rag around the filler and blow into it when the oil is just dribbling out the drain plug - you will be surprised how much more comes out  :o
« Last Edit: 23 April 2009, 12:13:07 by platty »

largecol

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesbrough
  • I cant see my socks!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 April 2009, 12:30:57 »

Best way to go is Vx -

You can buy it on TC 4 for the price of 3 - 20 litres for £32.67+vat which will be enough for 3 x oil changes (6l a time) and you will have some left for top ups.

3 x filters cost £15.54+vat

So for £55 you will have 3 oil changes - for me about 6 months!!

PS - I use ramps for draining as the plug is at the back of the sump, but roll it off them when refilling to get a true dipstick reading. Also, it might sound strange - but put some rag around the filler and blow into it when the oil is just dribbling out the drain plug - you will be surprised how much more comes out  :o
Never thought about that one Platty :o, hows that done with the cannister still on? Will try it next change :y

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 April 2009, 13:20:52 »

largecol - I had never thought about it before, but once I had drained the oil (left for about 20 mins) and removed the filter, I temporarily screwed the plastic filter lid back on again (finger tight) and then put some rag around the filler and blew into it as hard as I could!

There was a big splosh below the car as a load more oil ran out of the drain plug - repeated a couple of times and got more out. Might not work for everyone, but it certainly got the maximum old oil out for me. But I also use a new J-cloth (75p for 20 in Netto)to remove all old oil from bottom of filter housing too because there is always a puddle that doesn't drain out. Got to be thorough!  :y

largecol

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesbrough
  • I cant see my socks!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 April 2009, 13:49:36 »

Sounds like a plan Platty! :y, not sure what my lass would think if she catches me sticking the lips on the Mig?? :-* :o :o :o :o

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 April 2009, 15:34:06 »

Sounds like a plan Platty! :y, not sure what my lass would think if she catches me sticking the lips on the Mig?? :-* :o :o :o :o
Yes - she could quite easily get the wrong idea I would imagine  ::)

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 April 2009, 16:46:10 »

Think Im happier with ramps, so will pick them up later. Mad day at work so have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for oil info, its a bit late about getting best clothes dirty, my pink jumper isnt quite the same after changing my plugs ;D I think I need overalls but not sure they make them small enough for me ;) Not sure about blowing into Syd either but if you say so :D :D :D :D :D

largecol

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesbrough
  • I cant see my socks!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 April 2009, 16:59:15 »

Think Im happier with ramps, so will pick them up later. Mad day at work so have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for oil info, its a bit late about getting best clothes dirty, my pink jumper isnt quite the same after changing my plugs ;D I think I need overalls but not sure they make them small enough for me ;) Not sure about blowing into Syd either but if you say so :D :D :D :D :D
I`m sure Loo-Knee will have a spare he can let you have for mates rates! ::) ::) :y

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25 April 2009, 12:10:03 »

Now got no 6 glow plug in and taken out old oil filter and have struggled to remove old gaskets. The inlet ports??? are full of black gunk >:( do I need to clean them out? No 2 jumper is now covered in oil ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 April 2009, 12:15:26 »

Now got no 6 glow plug in and taken out old oil filter and have struggled to remove old gaskets. The inlet ports??? are full of black gunk >:( do I need to clean them out? No 2 jumper is now covered in oil ;D
which gaskets?
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.