Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5TD poor starting  (Read 5022 times)

Cybertrucker

• Lichfield, Staffs
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5TD poor starting
« Reply #45 on: 25 April 2009, 15:09:08 »

Now got no 6 glow plug in and taken out old oil filter and have struggled to remove old gaskets. The inlet ports??? are full of black gunk >:( do I need to clean them out? No 2 jumper is now covered in oil ;D
As a general rule black gunk is always worth removing.  A more accurate description (dry powdery black gunk, thin watery black gunk, thick oily black gunk?) plus possibly a photo might help us to identify exactly where the gunk is and if it's telling you something about your engine or not - some gunks are a natural part of an engine, others only form if there's something wrong.

Might I suggest that before you ruin your entire wardrobe you invest in a pair of overalls?  :)  They're not that expensive (probably not much more than a replacement pink jumper!), and if you search on Fleabay you might get a nice pair of genuine Vauxhall overalls second-hand - I got myself a couple of pairs of genuine Scania overalls fairly cheap a while ago.  They'll help keep your clothes clean, plus (patronising male chauvinist pig mode) I'm sure you'll look incredibly fetching in them! (exit patronising male chauvinist pig mode)   ;D
http://www.cybertrucker.co.uk - Truck stuff
http://www.abd.org.uk - Association of British Drivers
My other car is a Granada.
My other other car is a Dennis.

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 25 April 2009, 15:44:05 »

Ive got thick oily black gunk, no idea when the oil was last changed as only had the car a few weeks. The gaskets are from the inlet manifold, 5 came off easily but one seemed to be glued on, all very brittle.
As for overalls not sure they make them that small, may need kids ones :D :D :D going to put the pink jumper back on as going to drain the oil now!!  ;)

Cybertrucker

• Lichfield, Staffs
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 25 April 2009, 15:56:27 »

The state of the gaskets sounds about typical, so no cause for alarm there I'd say.  The amount of oil in the inlet manifold looks a bit excessive though.

Rather than let oil fumes from the engine straight out into the atmosphere, emissions control regulations for years have dictated that they be sucked into the combustion chambers and burnt, so there will be a small amount of oil being sucked into your inlet and then into the cylinders.  I'm still not over-familiar with the Omega myself, but based on other cars I've worked on over the last 30+ years that looks a little excessive to me.  I'll leave it to others to say whether that amount of oil is normal, though, and what it might say about the state of the engine.

Still can't wait to see you in the overalls...   ;)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 25 April 2009, 18:58:50 »

thats about normal for the 2.5td however of more interest is the actual inlet manifold itself is it thick in there?
only way i know of stopping the wet gunge occuring is to blank the egr to stop the exhaust getting in there with the oil and creating it, mine has been blanked for 4 years now and never had a problem, when i first removed the manifold when i first got the car i was horrified to see how small the inlet had become because of the gunk!!! :y

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 25 April 2009, 19:25:53 »

Just finished and put it all back together and it still doesnt start :( :( :( now where do I look? yes it is was just as gunky in the manifold could that effect it starting? done the paper clip test and still coming up the same codes 49 & 64 but not sure if it has to be reset ?

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 25 April 2009, 21:06:33 »

Exactly how much fuel is showing on the gauge ali?
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 25 April 2009, 22:07:05 »

20l I had just put some in before I came home and it then never started. It had been playing up before hand hence why the glow plug change etc. Yes I did put diesel in not petrol :D :D :D

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 25 April 2009, 22:15:33 »

The reason that I asked this, is that the in-tank pumps commonly give starting problems when the fuel level is around the 20 litre mark.

It's often due to crud floating around in the swirl-chamber, which restricts the gauze filter at the base of the pump itself. Platty has put an excellent 'how to' in the 'Maintenance Guides' section.

To get you going though, why not try putting, say, a gallon or two of diesel in first.
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 25 April 2009, 22:28:35 »

Ok will add that to my list of things to try in the morning, thanks for all the help, hope I get it going as Ive got brakes pads to do next  ;D  other than it not starting Im really pleased with myself  :D :D and looking forward to finding some overals that fit ;)

Cybertrucker

• Lichfield, Staffs
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26 April 2009, 00:22:41 »

Ok will add that to my list of things to try in the morning, thanks for all the help, hope I get it going as Ive got brakes pads to do next  ;D  other than it not starting Im really pleased with myself  :D :D and looking forward to finding some overals that fit ;)
In recognition of your valiant efforts (and the loss of - so far - two jumpers) I think we might have to club together and buy you some Vauxhall overalls off Fleabay!  ;D  I shall certainly know where to come when I need some work doing on my tractor...

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 26 April 2009, 10:10:40 »

Have put some more diesel in, still wont start. There is no fuel coming through injectors and have no brake cleaner as suggested yesterday.( running out of daylight ) The battery has been on charge all night and after 2 or 3 goes has died. Going to take battery off Pete and see what happens.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 26 April 2009, 10:16:37 »

Lift the inspection plate in the back, (four self-tapping screws).
Get someone to turn the key to second position, and listen to see if you can hear the in-tank pump running.

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 26 April 2009, 10:36:14 »

Sorry in the back of where? not sure where the fuel pump is :(

ali

• hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 26 April 2009, 10:41:04 »

Found it :D :D :D

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 26 April 2009, 10:42:22 »

Sorry in the back of where? not sure where the fuel pump is :(

It's a round plate located on the load area floor, forward of the spare wheel well. Normally a silvery colour and about 6-ish inches in diameter!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.