Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Sum Help ASAP Please  (Read 6306 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Need Sum Help ASAP Please
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2009, 21:39:13 »

2 problems IMHO ..

1) Camsensor - Change it   :)

2) Fails to turn over - Battery or Starter Motor

Did you BUMP start it  ie push it/tow it  or JUMP start it ie another battery  ??

If the first I would get another battery/car and some jump leads .. see if the starter turns.

If it does you need a new battery, if it doesn't .. then starter motor is suspect .. :)
« Last Edit: 27 November 2009, 21:39:49 by entwood »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 November 2009, 21:40:07 »

I see I can bump start it tho could it still be a flat bat?? dont know much bout cars

Entwood, ^^  ::)

ryan2.2

• Chadderton Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 November 2009, 21:41:40 »

rolled it down a hill to bump start it will jump leads in the morning and go from there thanx again

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 November 2009, 21:44:46 »

replace the battery!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 November 2009, 22:37:41 »

replace the battery!

Nah .. jump start it first to check out the starter motor .... :)

If it turns  THEN replace the battery .. if it doesn't .... we need to find out why the starter ain't turning and thats a list of 1/2 a dozen possibilities .. :)
« Last Edit: 27 November 2009, 22:41:08 by entwood »

albitz

« Reply #35 on: 27 November 2009, 22:48:07 »

Might be worthtrying to give the battery a long slow charge before replacing it. :-/

Neil (Cardiff)

• Cardiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 November 2009, 22:53:08 »

I'm in no way qualified compared to the fountains of knowledge on here  :y but to me starting problems really are a process of elimination.

First, as said before, try jump starting (not bump starting) and that'll rule out the battery.

Secondly, and I've never done this on an Omega before but try to give the starter a thump because they sometimes jam (I used to use an old jack handle). Preferably you need to hit the end but this isn't always possible with access. Be careful though, starter motors are cast and you don't want to crack it. You need to know where to hit it and how hard!

Failing that I'd start looking at the ignition system and all the trendy electrics like immobilizes.

The only thing I'd add is if it turns out it's the battery, is the alternator at fault? And starter motors can't be unjammed forever so don't be tempted to leave it and just give it a whack every morning  :P

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 November 2009, 23:01:19 »

First call, jump start or get the battery checked out.
Had previous cars were the battery just packs up, no warnings.

Mick

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 November 2009, 23:47:33 »

I'm in no way qualified compared to the fountains of knowledge on here  :y but to me starting problems really are a process of elimination.

First, as said before, try jump starting (not bump starting) and that'll rule out the battery.

Secondly, and I've never done this on an Omega before but try to give the starter a thump because they sometimes jam (I used to use an old jack handle). Preferably you need to hit the end but this isn't always possible with access. Be careful though, starter motors are cast and you don't want to crack it. You need to know where to hit it and how hard!

Failing that I'd start looking at the ignition system and all the trendy electrics like immobilizes.

The only thing I'd add is if it turns out it's the battery, is the alternator at fault? And starter motors can't be unjammed forever so don't be tempted to leave it and just give it a whack every morning  :P
Absolutely! There really isn't much space down the side of an Omega engine and there are terminals connecting the starter and alternator to the battery.

I would be concerned about welding the jack handle to the main starter feed :o :o
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Neil (Cardiff)

• Cardiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 November 2009, 00:58:09 »

I didn't mean weld it, just use it to hit it  :P

p j morgan

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 November 2009, 01:28:26 »

first thing to do is take keys out of the ignition .lock the car then unlock it then try starting it !then put your headlights on and turn the key if lights go dim its the battery or starter.motor.try all of those things and see what happens?hope it helps? :y

minihero

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 November 2009, 01:35:41 »

lol thats a good mental image ^^^, i agree with the other people on here if it starts by bump starting the starter motor wont be siezed because when you bump it it will get freed up, it cant b the starter solonoid siezed as yo will still hear the starter spinning, so my moneys on the battery, get her started and if you have a voltmeter to hand place it accross the battery, you should have about 14.3 volts when engine is running if so then replace batt if not then time to look at alternater.

ryan2.2

• Chadderton Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 November 2009, 10:49:51 »

hi guys right i have bought sum jump leads and used my gfs cars to try to start mine with no joy. Left my gfs cars running for bout 10 mins and the starter didnt even try so with a fault code of 10 3 4 10 which it seems points to a cam sonsor or sumthing any thoughts

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28 November 2009, 10:53:27 »

you said you jump started it before? What kind of car does your gf have? Something like a Corsa is going to need the nuts revved of it, to give it enough juice, as long as it has decent leads

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 28 November 2009, 11:04:26 »

you said you jump started it before? What kind of car does your gf have? Something like a Corsa is going to need the nuts revved of it, to give it enough juice, as long as it has decent leads
NO! just a fast idle (say 1500 rpm) for a few minutes to get some charge into the Omega battery. The Corsa alternator isn't going to produce any more output be revving faster than that.

Domestic jump leads aren't really meaty enough to drive the starter motor but they are good for getting some charge into the battery.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.