Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: recommend tyres?  (Read 6443 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Re: recommend tyres?
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2010, 20:50:42 »

Continental Sport Contact 3's
Dunlop SP Sport

Best tyres I've had so far either of them.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2010, 23:28:10 »

I keep looking for a decent cheap tyre but they just dont seem to work well on the miggy

It came with michelins (cant recall which) , they were reasonable in the dry, ok ish in the wet
then had Falken FK452's - I have these on my TVR and Golf and for those cars they are great but on the miggy I suffered a bit of tramlining, grip was ok wet and dry
Then I tried Falken ZE912's, ok in the dry, very average in the wet and when about half way worn quite dodgy in the wet.
I have now gone for Continental Sport Contact 3's on the rear and they are excellent (only about 2000 miles on them but so far so good). Good grip dry and wet, back end feels a bit more planted. Gettin them on the front next week too.

Contis were cheapest at WIM , even cheaper than camskill and as I was there having Geo done it made sense for them to fit them.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2010, 23:44:14 »

I keep looking for a decent cheap tyre but they just dont seem to work well on the miggy

It came with michelins (cant recall which) , they were reasonable in the dry, ok ish in the wet
then had Falken FK452's - I have these on my TVR and Golf and for those cars they are great but on the miggy I suffered a bit of tramlining, grip was ok wet and dry
Then I tried Falken ZE912's, ok in the dry, very average in the wet and when about half way worn quite dodgy in the wet.
I have now gone for Continental Sport Contact 3's on the rear and they are excellent (only about 2000 miles on them but so far so good). Good grip dry and wet, back end feels a bit more planted. Gettin them on the front next week too.

Contis were cheapest at WIM , even cheaper than camskill and as I was there having Geo done it made sense for them to fit them.

How much were the Conti's. I'm in the market for new tyres, mine suffers horribly with tramlining at the moment with Pirelli P zero Rosso, absolutely hate them.. 

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2010, 23:46:41 »

I love Toyo's a set will be going on this MV6 when I finish having a play with it :y

I find they are brilliant in the wet too, but like Jimbob say they are slightly noisey but turning the radio works a treat  ;D
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2010, 04:04:27 »

How much were the Conti's. I'm in the market for new tyres, mine suffers horribly with tramlining at the moment with Pirelli P zero Rosso, absolutely hate them.. 
similar experience as bigdods i think except all on the omega, 452 on pfl felt alot better and quiter than previos Pirreli p9000, but given that the p9000s where mullered on the inside edge and noisy in comparrison, that made the falkens when new seem like a godsend, now bare in mind this is pre forum days, i didnt know about camber and set up and tram lining, never mind wishbone failure etc , all things are relative, so the falkens are a good tyre, right? continued with falkens but spent my life with 2.5cdx trying to stop it tramlining, wishbones fitted( not torqued correctly, pre forum days remember) set ups, wheel barings, lemforder wisbones fitted and so on. Didnt know it was the tyres causing the tramlining, so when i got my current 3.2 i thought i'd try the harder 912's, ok to start with but noticed a wonder at the back and alot of pulling on the steering wheel from road inperfections.

Now this was worrying, having raved initially about falken tyres on threads such as this, with help from prominant members on here i was able to swap wheels shod with a couple of Dunlop models, sport maxx and sp 9000 iirc ,transformed the car for the better, and made the mv6's the falkens where fitted to handel worse, but not the same as my elite, i put the rest down to mv6 suspension and the fact we only swapped two wheels.

Why where the 912s so bad? bloody awful, said The Boy...exceptionally soft sidewalls in construction maybe? i dont know, but at least 3 other more enthusiastic drivers on here have experienced the 912 and found them the same, excessive bump steer and appalling directional stabillity, but exceptionally quiet and a comfy ride, i would add grip is poor in wet and dry as they often set off the abs and tc, i had them on for 13k and binned them with 3 or 4 mill of tread left, appalling tyres.

So why did i rave about them at the start? because relatively they where better than what was fitted previosly, very quiet and good ride, took me years and several thousand miles to work out they have the structural rigidity of a water balloon...avoid.

Some members seem happy with the 912, but have a higher profile size, or perhaps driving style means less body roll meaning the profile accross the width stays squarer?

anyway, currently conti sc3 fitted, well happy, awesome grip in comparrison, tad noisier but a small price to pay for less tramlining, Dunlops feel very planted but road noise is poor, a general consensus there too.  :y

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2010, 05:14:04 »

Michelin Primacy Pilot for me, long life, quiet, great roadholding in both wet and dry (hard driven too) and I get a decent mpg too.
What more can you need?
Tried the rest, came back to the best..........
Everyone will have therir own opinions though because just like people - all tyres are different!
As the saying goes- you pays your money etc....
GudLuk
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Bixy1

• Intermediate Member
  • Leeds. West Yorks.
  • Hanging by a thread . . .
    • Diesel Vectra eventually.
    • View Profile
    • Cats Tails
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2010, 11:33:45 »

Michelins.... if I could afford them, otherwise Kumho's seem ok.. :-/
Cats Tails (The Adventures of Rommy and Reemy)
http://sbpra.com/derektmorgan

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2010, 11:42:45 »

Khumos on the Golden Oldie, didn't like them, but there may be other suspension issues at work as well...
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2010, 12:07:42 »

Khumos on the Golden Oldie, didn't like them, but there may be other suspension issues at work as well...
But which Kumho's though? If they are a high mileage model then fine that makes sense, but if they're a sport model, as you TB would go for normally, then thats not something to recommend to drivers who want a sport model tyre, on the other hand, if a tyre was good and grippy, with wear rate to match, then no point fitting them to a sunday driver/Mr Daizy type.

For instance, I'm sure Michelin do a model that would suit your needs TB, but on the other hand, who's going to gamble thier price on finding out? i know i wouldn't.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2010, 12:09:55 by chrisgixer »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2010, 12:09:55 »

But which Kumho's though? If they are a high mileage model then fine that makes sense, but if thier a sport model, as you TB would go for normally, then thats not something to recommend to drivers who want a sport model tyre, on the other hand, if a tyre was good and grippy, with wear rate to match, then no point fitting them to a sunday driver/Mr Daizy type.

For instance, I'm sure Michelin do a model that would suit your needs TB, but on the other hand, who's going to gamble thier price on finding out? i know i wouldn't.
Ecsta or whatever its called.

When I had a lease car, never found a Michelin that was anything more than poor (for the way I drove the car).
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2010, 12:44:17 »

But which Kumho's though? If they are a high mileage model then fine that makes sense, but if thier a sport model, as you TB would go for normally, then thats not something to recommend to drivers who want a sport model tyre, on the other hand, if a tyre was good and grippy, with wear rate to match, then no point fitting them to a sunday driver/Mr Daizy type.

Ecsta or whatever its called.

When I had a lease car, never found a Michelin that was anything more than poor (for the way I drove the car).

Yeah this is it, tyres are a personal thing as you say, very much so, imo its equally important to state the type of tyre thats wanted, as it is to ask whats a good tyre.

If a tyre selection programe existed the software would ask as much of the driver as it would of tyre spec in finding a match, yet ask the majority of drivers what they want realisticly in a tyre, i wonder how many would have all info needed to choose. Experience of poor traits are are equally vital in knowing what you dont want in a tyre to help choise one you fo want.

Just to clarify all this i, suggested i sticky tyre thread a while back to help with threads such as this one, tyres are very expensive, getting the wrong set fitted can be a very expensive mistake to be stuck with for 15k or whatever.

However TB and admin felt that tyres are too personal a thing to give reliable info to buyers, one mans Michelin is another mans nightmare you might say.

And i have to agree but only to a point. Thing is we have a fairly unique opertunity to take out the other massive variable in choosing tyres, the car. How many tyre reviews have you seen for the omega? Not many rear wheel drive cars about these says, never mind finding a review for a ten year old car with tyres available today.

Zuffenhausen

• Intermediate Member
  • Telford, Shrops.
    • 2000 2.5TD CD Estate
    • View Profile
    • Walks and Waggy Tails
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2010, 13:04:05 »

Falken ZE912 is my recommendation. We are on our second set, good all round performance and reasonable wear rate.

Hmmm, allow me to pick on you, without "picking on you" if you see what i mean.

Can i ask what other tyres have been fitted to your omega, and what you thought of those? TB and i have differant oppinions on why people choose a tyre, i'll explane later what i mean.

I was impreessed with my 912's when fitted....

but would like to cover your experience Z...

Goodyear Eagles before the Falkens, also used Falkens on Mercedes C220 Coupe and Porsche 944 Cabriolet, been happy withthem on all these cars.

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2010, 14:25:53 »

Didnt keep the receipt, but I think they were £121 a corner inc fitting and vat. At the time , it worked out only a few quid more than the camskill price and it included fitting so was a bit cheaper all in.

Ploppy

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2010, 15:57:29 »

Remember speaking to a Police Traffic officer when omegas in use,  he said the omegas run best on Dunlops....

Ive got goodyear f1 s at rear , and firestones on the front,,,, seem very good.

But will try Dunlops next.

Ploppy 
 :D

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2010, 17:39:55 »

I've just ordered Dunlop SP Sport 01's for the front. I was going to go with the conti sc3's (already on the rear) but I was seduced by the cheaper price of the dunlops. got them from mytyres who were a bit cheaper than camskill this time around £97 per tyre inc vat and shipping
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.