Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: what brand tyres - 52 plate 2.6 CDX  (Read 4195 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: what brand tyres - 52 plate 2.6 CDX
« Reply #75 on: 20 September 2011, 16:27:06 »

I guess I ask because they look stoatally different:

Ecsta SPT KU31                                                            ECSTA LE Sport KU39

and have different descriptions, as if the KU31 is more sport oriented and the KU39 is general purpose. 

seems KU39 worth trying  ::)

http://www.easier.com/90326-kumhos-ecsta-ku39-tyre-test.html
Straight away I question that review, as they say Michelin PS3 are miles ahead. Michelin do not make a usable tyre for anyone, so There is clearly something amiss in the teating

although I'm against michelines for so many reasons , I had to buy pilot exaltos last year as they were the most new (although prices were silly high) to my surprise they are really good both in wet and dry.. and tests approve me or I approve them ;D :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 20 September 2011, 16:40:19 »

I'd rather have linglong ditchfinders than anything Michelin currently make.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2011, 16:40:51 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 20 September 2011, 18:04:52 »

Problem with most of these "rating" sites IMHO .... they don't take into account "real world" diversity ....

A certain tyre on a lightweight, front wheel drive hot hatch might be great .. but stick it on a heavy rearwheel drive limo and it behaves completely differently. Falkens get great writeups all over the place .. but don't seem to work oo the Omega.

Every driver drives differently and expects different things. These ratings sites give no indication who did the test ... Emerson Fitipaldi or Miss Daisy ... the opinions of those two will be extremely diferent ....

Which is why I looked for the experiences of folks on here .. who have put tyres on an Omega and driven them for a decent time interval .. if enough folk agree that the tyre doesn't work .. then you are getting a "spread" of RELEVANT info ...

Sorry Cem but what is written on an Evo site is, IMHO, totally irrelevant to an Omega.  Weight, Power delivery, aerodynamic assistance ... all make the cars too different to compare.. :(

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #78 on: 20 September 2011, 18:15:30 »

Problem with most of these "rating" sites IMHO .... they don't take into account "real world" diversity ....

A certain tyre on a lightweight, front wheel drive hot hatch might be great .. but stick it on a heavy rearwheel drive limo and it behaves completely differently. Falkens get great writeups all over the place .. but don't seem to work oo the Omega.

Every driver drives differently and expects different things. These ratings sites give no indication who did the test ... Emerson Fitipaldi or Miss Daisy ... the opinions of those two will be extremely diferent ....

Which is why I looked for the experiences of folks on here .. who have put tyres on an Omega and driven them for a decent time interval .. if enough folk agree that the tyre doesn't work .. then you are getting a "spread" of RELEVANT info ...

Sorry Cem but what is written on an Evo site is, IMHO, totally irrelevant to an Omega.  Weight, Power delivery, aerodynamic assistance ... all make the cars too different to compare.. :(

agreed.. except one point, their behaviours for braking on both wet and dry conditions(also lateral G)  (especially tire order on tests) wont change as its mainly dependant on weight..
« Last Edit: 20 September 2011, 18:16:03 by cem_devecioglu »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #79 on: 20 September 2011, 18:17:33 »

however their comfort level may change, also tramlining as its dependant on front setup..

but up to now from my experience, they didnt behave very different then their test results..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 20 September 2011, 18:30:05 »

agreed.. except one point, their behaviours for braking on both wet and dry conditions(also lateral G)  (especially tire order on tests) wont change as its mainly dependant on weight..
Not necessarily - gayboy's Falkens, for example, had very poor braking due to no stability. Yet they get reasonable braking capability marks on many review sites.
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #81 on: 20 September 2011, 18:31:41 »

Not necessarily - gayboy's Falkens, for example, had very poor braking due to no stability. Yet they get reasonable braking capability marks on many review sites.

imo falkens are an exception never see big deviations on good brands.. :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 20 September 2011, 18:34:07 »

imo falkens are an exception never see big deviations on good brands.. :-/
OK, I can say from bitter experience that Michelin Primacy, Michelin PS2 and Michelin PS3 are hopeless on the Omega. Yet again seem to get good reviews  :-/

Mind you, can't say I've ever enjoyed Michelin on any car in the last 10 years...
Grumpy old man

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 20 September 2011, 18:40:34 »

Iv'e got Michelin primacy's on the elite estate as fitted by the Met police just before they sold the car, £600 for 4 thank you very much, i have done about 4-5k on them and find they are very good.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 20 September 2011, 18:43:40 »

Iv'e got Michelin primacy's on the elite estate as fitted by the Met police just before they sold the car, £600 for 4 thank you very much, i have done about 4-5k on them and find they are very good.  :y
Thats the point Entwood was making - if you wrote a review, it would be positive. If I wrote the review, it would be scathing ;)

Same tyre, same car, different results.
Grumpy old man

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 20 September 2011, 19:04:49 »

I can see that, but as they were on the estate when i got it from Josh and i did not have to pay for them i would say they were good as long as the car does not slide in the wet and is good on stoping i'm happy, as for how long they last you get your money back as i think they last about 30k but i don't always drive with my foot to metal ;D ;D ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #86 on: 20 September 2011, 19:17:18 »

Thats the point Entwood was making - if you wrote a review, it would be positive. If I wrote the review, it would be scathing ;)

Type of driver is the the third but most important factor above all else.

And is the first thing we need to know when recommending or buying tyres, but is almost always the last thing to be divulged.
Buying a tyre with a performance level that matches the drivers expectations is vital.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 20 September 2011, 19:21:42 »

Type of driver is the the third but most important factor above all else.

And is the first thing we need to know when recommending or buying tyres, but is almost always the last thing to be divulged.
Buying a tyre with a performance level that matches the drivers expectations and abilities is vital.

Amended that for you ........ :)

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 20 September 2011, 19:26:05 »

So Nige what are you or have you put on the front of the 3.2 as when Daz did the wishbones they did not have much life in them. :-/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 20 September 2011, 19:32:03 »

So Nige what are you or have you put on the front of the 3.2 as when Daz did the wishbones they did not have much life in them. :-/

Not just the wishbones, but steering idler and a wheel bearing changed due to Newent !!

The Falkens 452's off the rear are now on the front, and a new pair of Toyo T1 Sports are on the back. Kuhmo 31's not being available. WIM also did a full geometry. .. :)

Toyo's were £98.33 + VAT a corner, so far  .. 300 miles .. they seem OK but not pushed them at all yet as the finisher will still be present on the rubber. I was always told 500 miles before the tyre is "clean and settled"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.