Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood be gone  (Read 6879 times)

omega3000

Wood be gone
« on: 13 June 2012, 09:27:47 »

So all the wood taken out and sprayed in my choice of colour ... Not too bad a job to do just a bit fidley but once its taken to bits a few times it gets easier  ;D I must say how very well the controls and mechanisms are well put together ..

When its all in bits it looks a bit daunting thinking how am i ever going to get this back together  :o

The bits i finally got off ... pheeww  :)

« Last Edit: 13 June 2012, 09:33:50 by eatmydust »

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: Wood be gone
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2012, 09:36:33 »

That looks to be a great job 'dust - well done. 8) :y

omega3000

« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2012, 09:41:31 »

Thanks den , never thought i would see it back together after seeing what i had to re assemble  :o deep breaths and plenty of breaks , took me 2 days allowing paint to dry ...quite pleased with the results considering im no expert  :)

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2012, 10:50:00 »

Personal choice once again...To be honest, I think you've demoted the appearance to that of a bog standard basic GL type model.

Spraying imo would have been a good idea IF some form of colour/design was introduced BUT black just seems ermmmm...well plain and cheap looking I feel...but there again...I ain't driving her !

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2012, 11:16:48 »

Thanks den , never thought i would see it back together after seeing what i had to re assemble  :o deep breaths and plenty of breaks , took me 2 days allowing paint to dry ...quite pleased with the results considering im no expert  :)

good practice.. patience always pays back :y   (well most of the time ;D )

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2012, 11:18:10 »

and the next step is ......

a manual stick   ;D :y

omega3000

« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2012, 11:30:48 »

good practice.. patience always pays back :y   (well most of the time ;D )

Only problem i had was fitting my hand through to release the pull bar  :( oh and trying to refit without scratching it  :)

x25dt

• Omega Knight
  • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2012, 11:43:09 »

Personaly I'd rather the wood touch  :y

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2012, 12:48:56 »

and the next step is ......

a manual stick   ;D :y

It will be but not just yet , gearboxes are a doddle to change  ::) :-X

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2012, 13:58:08 »

honestly the black painted trim looks better than the outdated fake woody woodpecker trim ;D

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2012, 14:07:08 »

Nope !    Been driving since 1979, first 5 cars from that date had ermmmmm black trim. Ford, Vauxhall you name them...black.  The timber look finish, IF you could afford it, was a luxury back then and in my opinion it still is now. Granted it isn't real timber BUT at least it demonstrated a bit of style/class.   Just plain black does neither of those !
« Last Edit: 13 June 2012, 14:11:04 by duggs »

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2012, 14:29:16 »

Nope !    Been driving since 1979, first 5 cars from that date had ermmmmm black trim. Ford, Vauxhall you name them...black.  The timber look finish, IF you could afford it, was a luxury back then and in my opinion it still is now. Granted it isn't real timber BUT at least it demonstrated a bit of style/class.   Just plain black does neither of those !

I'm in the same camp as you,must be an age thing :-X,but each to there own and a nice job done by the looks of it
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2012, 19:34:27 »

THAT Henryd..is a VERY good point. ...but with age..comes wisdom !     LOL !

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2012, 19:58:34 »

Very Nice Indeed!
I wouldn't say it looks like a GLS, If anything it looks more like an MV6  :y
Does's this mean you have done the bits of wood on the doors ?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2012, 20:06:00 »

Plastic wood looks really low rent. I'm wth EMD on this one. :y. It's the same with my MV6.......silver spray paint won't fool anyone with two or more brain cells to rub together. :'(

Now if Vauxhall used the same wood as a DB9, I'd say keep it.  :y

Back in the late seventies I owned a Triumph 1500.....and a Triumph 2500S. Both used real wood. :) :) ;)
« Last Edit: 13 June 2012, 20:10:34 by Opti »

omega3000

« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2012, 09:13:10 »

Oh well it wont be to everyones taste as expected but personally i like , door trims have not been done yet but presuming they are just held on with screws from the back of panel . Once the monaro is delivered ( i wish)  ::) guess the alterations will come to a halt  :P

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2012, 21:31:50 »

honestly the black painted trim looks better than the outdated fake woody woodpecker trim ;D

Doesn't it just?

Vauxhall 'wood' - cheap and nasty and makes a good car look naff and wannabe.
It's so unbeleivably shit, pretend, wanky, cheapskate and about as convincing as Tony Blair defending weapons of Mass Destruction.
It is utterly appaulling and what GM were thinking I don't know.

'dust has done a brilliant job of dumping mediocrity(?!) for individuality that makes his mig unique

Even the Irmscher 'Carbon' (which I have aplenty), which looks very Halfords against proper carbon trim, is a vast improvement on the shite, fake, wank, gormless GM attempt at adding 'class' to their onetime top of the range model.

Take it out and replace it with real wood - otherwise every single bit of that plastic 'wood' should be melted down and made into plastic cups for coffee dispensers in industrial estates in the middle of nowhere.

I'm with you on this one 'dust (and cem) - wood be gone :y

"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2012, 21:48:07 »

Doesn't it just?

It's so unbeleivably shit, pretend, wanky, cheapskate and about as convincing as Tony Blair defending weapons of Mass Destruction.

'dust has done a brilliant job of dumping mediocrity(?!) for individuality that makes his mig unique

Even the Irmscher 'Carbon' (which I have aplenty), which looks very Halfords against proper carbon trim, is a vast improvement on the shite, fake, wank, gormless GM attempt at adding 'class' to their onetime top of the range model.

Take it out and replace it with real wood - otherwise every single bit of that plastic 'wood' should be melted down and made into plastic cups for coffee dispensers in industrial estates in the middle of nowhere.

I disagree  ;) ;) ;)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #18 on: 15 June 2012, 00:25:56 »

Nice job EMD, although IMO the wood finish is classier.  As said looks GLS now  >:(
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

2boxerdogs

« Reply #19 on: 15 June 2012, 09:59:45 »

No don't like it, original is best must be an age thing, like to see any car as it was meant to be.

omega3000

« Reply #20 on: 15 June 2012, 11:36:33 »

Nice job EMD, although IMO the wood finish is classier.  As said looks GLS now >:(

Never  ;D

Ive never been keen on the wood effect tbh , reminds me of fake snake skin  ;D I like it and it stays  :y

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 June 2012, 12:37:45 »

Ive never been keen on the wood effect tbh , reminds me of fake snake skin  ;D I like it and it stays  :y
[/quote]

Fantastic! I like it and am glad it's staying - no other way! :y :y :y
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

omega3000

« Reply #22 on: 15 June 2012, 15:57:29 »

Fantastic! I like it and am glad it's staying - no other way! :y :y :y
[/quote]

:y

It wont be to everyone's taste and i knew it wouldn't be , individuality is key . Good practice to remove the facia and seeing how it all comes apart and back together  ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #23 on: 15 June 2012, 21:00:11 »

from the very first day I bought this car, I never like it (plastic wood trim)..

if was for example dark tones of red  real mahogany probably it could be acceptable..

but my car mostly black inside, and those  colors and plastic feeling not for me.. :P

omega3000

« Reply #24 on: 15 June 2012, 21:13:20 »

Its the new look black oak  ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2012, 22:00:32 »

Its the new look black oak  ;D

;D :y

i260

• Newport, South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 June 2012, 23:34:09 »

Doesn't it just?

Nice to see the quality conversation of this forum is maintained - struggling to expess youself or just still in your teens!???

Come on ... does the language REALLY need to descend to this???

Back on topic, ok so the VX wood is not great (perhaps the car would have costed more if they had put the efforts in to real wood trim to match the Saab 9000's) BUT, you have just made it look like a GLS. Should have saved your efforts, sold your wood to somebody that wanted it and picked up the cheapie trim for a few pennies.
Saab 9-5 Aero 260ps

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 June 2012, 23:42:08 »

tbh i think it looks quite nice. good job done.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

omega3000

« Reply #28 on: 24 June 2012, 07:34:38 »

Doesn't it just?

Nice to see the quality conversation of this forum is maintained - struggling to expess youself or just still in your teens!???

Come on ... does the language REALLY need to descend to this???

Back on topic, ok so the VX wood is not great (perhaps the car would have costed more if they had put the efforts in to real wood trim to match the Saab 9000's) BUT, you have just made it look like a GLS. Should have saved your efforts, sold your wood to somebody that wanted it and picked up the cheapie trim for a few pennies.

Whats wrong with a GLS  ;D

tbh i think it looks quite nice. good job done.  :y

Thanks RB im still liking it myself  :y

mrgrumpy88

• Lowestoft
    • Omega 2.5 TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 June 2012, 09:47:14 »

Looks great you done a great job. It should stay.  :y :y :y :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.