Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Temporary Met Police 3.0 V6 Omega (White)  (Read 3892 times)

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
My Temporary Met Police 3.0 V6 Omega (White)
« on: 02 December 2006, 21:01:47 »

[size=18]Hello,

I've just returned from a 2 week Advanced Driver Training Course, which was hosted at the Metropolitian Police Advanded Driver Training Wing in Hendon, London.

So I thought I would share some of the photo's of my temporary 3.0 V6 Vauxhall Omega (only avalable in white)

Most of the training vehicle's have had there Police marking removed.[/size]

[size=18]And here she is[/size]:

[size=18]This photo was taken at the start line and the idea was to complete the manouvering course which is layed out with road cones (as fast as you can :)) without being captured by the pre-facelift omega (which is driven by an police driving instructor :-X) [/size]:(

[size=18]The following pictures are whilst driving the course, some of the obstacle's are designed so that you drive in forward and have to drive out in reverse at high speed and do a J turn or Y turn[/size].

[size=18]And here is a picture of the marked police car's which we used for on road driver training, a BMW 530d[/size]:

[size=18]And finally a picture of the Omega which is used for skid car training [/size]:

« Last Edit: 02 December 2006, 21:46:38 by jim »
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
Re: My Temporary Met Police 3.0 V6 Omega (White)
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2006, 23:10:21 »

Skid car is my favourite - well looked after  ;D
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2006, 23:44:37 »

;D  And some wonder why I would not buy an ex company car?   :y

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2006, 09:39:31 »

True, True. But these training cars are scrapped afterwards and not for sale as they are worthless!!!
The Ex-Plod cars which are for sale are one's which have been de-commissioned straight from patrol dutys and are normally well looked after :)
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2006, 09:51:01 »

Aye, the skip car omega has had a few wee accident's, I don't know if you noticed but the tail light's are painted black and the headlights have also been removed and replaced with cut outs of sheet metal also painted black to show thats it's a training car, as if you couldn't tell ;D ;D

Also I don't know if you can see in the picture but the skid pan omega is fitted with pieces of rubber around the wheel archs which extend the mud flap around the full arch to stop the oil which is sprayed on the skid pan covering the whole car!!!
« Last Edit: 03 December 2006, 11:31:50 by jim »

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2006, 16:06:30 »

Aye, the skip car omega has had a few wee accident's, I don't know if you noticed but the tail light's are painted black and the headlights have also been removed and replaced with cut outs of sheet metal also painted black to show thats it's a training car, as if you couldn't tell ;D ;D

Also I don't know if you can see in the picture but the skid pan omega is fitted with pieces of rubber around the wheel archs which extend the mud flap around the full arch to stop the oil which is sprayed on the skid pan covering the whole car!!!

I take it your in the force Jim, same as hotel21? 8-)

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2006, 16:08:46 »

Looks interesting, been thinking about going on one of them courses, christmas prezzie from me to me, yet to check out where I can do one, how much and how long :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2006, 16:37:46 »

True, True. But these training cars are scrapped afterwards and not for sale as they are worthless!!!
The Ex-Plod cars which are for sale are one's which have been de-commissioned straight from patrol dutys and are normally well looked after :)

......... And the guys and gals on patrol - they would never dream of using the skills learned at the training school on the open road in the standard working cars that you ARE able to buy?   :-?  

and in less than ideal conditions with kerbs in close proximity etc etc?   ;)

again, just my tuppence!  Caveat Emptor and all that, but no doubt there are some cracking deals to be had, even the ex driving school ones.     :y

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2006, 08:26:23 »

......... And the guys and gals on patrol - they would never dream of using the skills learned at the training school on the open road in the standard working cars that you ARE able to buy?   :-?  

and in less than ideal conditions with kerbs in close proximity etc etc?   ;)

again, just my tuppence!  Caveat Emptor and all that, but no doubt there are some cracking deals to be had, even the ex driving school ones.     :y

True, True ;D ;D

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2006, 08:28:37 »

Looks interesting, been thinking about going on one of them courses, christmas prezzie from me to me, yet to check out where I can do one, how much and how long :y
Well this course is only open to Police drivers etc, etc, and I think the costing is approx £3,500 for the 2 week course plus accomadation.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2006, 16:53:54 »

Well this course is only open to Police drivers etc, etc, and I think the costing is approx £3,500 for the 2 week course plus accomadation.

:o :o

Not cheap! - But being in the police surely you don't pay that?

I am in I.T myself... however always had a soft spot for being a cop car drive, not the normal beat bobby stuff or CID ... just the traffic side. Bit like you see on Traffic Cops on the BBC.

I see the boys in slough quite a bit, on there. How often do you actually get to drive fast and chase after people?

I love driving, and would love, love to be trained on J-Turns and all the proffessional stuff.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2006, 17:23:33 »

The skid car is so clean ;)  ;D
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2006, 01:01:01 »

Tunnie

Its not that hard to do, its just the where and what car thats the hard bit if you are doing it yourself, so to speak.

Find a disused wartime airfield runway that you can get to play on.

Buy a scrapper type of astra and a couple of sets of tyres to fit.

Offer to supply bed/board/booze to some suitable maniacs who are looking for a hoot weekend.

Watch the tyres turn into thruppeny bits (remember them, or too young?)

Learn the party piece of balls out in the astra along the runway, then handbrake turn the car through a 180 degree turn (now doing circa 40 - 50 backwards) before a J turn back roughly through another 180 so you are now 20 - 30 back forwards again....

Fun, but a bit iffy without practice and a convenient wartime bomber runway to play on.    ;D

Also look up a SMEE turn and a Y turn.  They can come in handy too!

« Last Edit: 05 December 2006, 01:02:26 by hotel21 »

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2006, 10:04:41 »

Tunnie

Its not that hard to do, its just the where and what car thats the hard bit if you are doing it yourself, so to speak.

Find a disused wartime airfield runway that you can get to play on.

Buy a scrapper type of astra and a couple of sets of tyres to fit.

Offer to supply bed/board/booze to some suitable maniacs who are looking for a hoot weekend.

Watch the tyres turn into thruppeny bits (remember them, or too young?)

Learn the party piece of balls out in the astra along the runway, then handbrake turn the car through a 180 degree turn (now doing circa 40 - 50 backwards) before a J turn back roughly through another 180 so you are now 20 - 30 back forwards again....

Fun, but a bit iffy without practice and a convenient wartime bomber runway to play on.    ;D

Also look up a SMEE turn and a Y turn.  They can come in handy too!

Hello,
I can't find a "Smee Turn" what is it?

I know what a Y-Turn is it similar?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2006, 12:47:46 »

SMEE - Static Manouevre Emergency Escape

Anti box in type manouevre.  

FWD car as principle car, 2 x bandit cars hard on bumber of principle F & R to prevent movement of principle.  Handbrake on very hard, steering hard right (or left, depending on where you want to go) revs very high, dump clutch in first, car mounts bumper of car in front and pivots round rear left (or right) wheel riding over bumper of front bandit till you have a free exit.  Handbrake off, then off off off....  Can be achieved with very high success even if both bandits are pushing hard to keep you contained.  Does damage paint/bodywork but stops the baddies filling the car with bullets.....

Worth a wee try in your next hire or courtesy car!  Or watch your local car bodyshop apprentice getting the cars into/out of the workhop at start/finish of the day.   ;D  

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #15 on: 08 December 2006, 14:35:40 »

SMEE - Static Manouevre Emergency Escape

Anti box in type manouevre.  

FWD car as principle car, 2 x bandit cars hard on bumber of principle F & R to prevent movement of principle.  Handbrake on very hard, steering hard right (or left, depending on where you want to go) revs very high, dump clutch in first, car mounts bumper of car in front and pivots round rear left (or right) wheel riding over bumper of front bandit till you have a free exit.  Handbrake off, then off off off....  Can be achieved with very high success even if both bandits are pushing hard to keep you contained.  Does damage paint/bodywork but stops the baddies filling the car with bullets.....

Worth a wee try in your next hire or courtesy car!  Or watch your local car bodyshop apprentice getting the cars into/out of the workhop at start/finish of the day.   ;D  
Yes I know what you mean, we did them on the course but didn't know that they where called a Smee turn, I'II post some pictures later of us trying them out.
Cheers Mate :y
« Last Edit: 08 December 2006, 16:40:40 by jim »

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2006, 09:04:57 »

OK,here is a short video of my temporary Met Police Omega drifting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jig95PjPo1c

This next video is a Vauxhall omega doing a J Turn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh4nHC5ZyXY

The next video is a practice run of a J-Turn with parked cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fhxrj5gWCw
« Last Edit: 21 December 2006, 09:18:50 by jim »
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.