Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Operation reverse c0ck up (literally)  (Read 4111 times)

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Operation reverse c0ck up (literally)
« on: 13 May 2007, 16:51:01 »

Some of you may be aware that I managed to reverse my Elite into the garage door about a week ago.  I'd only had it for a week, was lovingly putting it back on the driveway having just replaced the nearside rear light that had a crack in it and had just rewired the tow bar electrics.  Backed it on to the drive and the front wheels held on the kerb.  Feathered the throttle slightly to get the front wheels over the kerb, did it too much and before I could catch the brake I'd reshaped my rear wing, bumper and garage door to boot.

The Garage door was a right mess, and had to be removed, bashed flat again and strengthened with as many odd and sod screws as I could find.  It opens and closes although I think its got a finite life from here on in.  The rear wing, however is another matter.

Thanks To Chris, who sold me the bumper from my old Omega which he is now breaking, and Ronnie has promised me a tail light he's found in his shed.  I ordered a slide hammer, and a hammer and dolly kit from Ebay last week for a repectable £30 inc postage and set about in the evenings this week bashing the sh!t out of it to try and straighten it.  Happy to say that although I'm a complete amateur, its getting there.  Its gone from this:

To this:

Still a fairly long way to go, there's one dent just behind the bottom of the arch which I can't get out for love nor money and I've tried all sort of steel bars to help.  Waiting on a "Ding King" to turn up this week which will hopefully pop the last one out and get rid of the slight bowing further back (according to a man in the know who looked at it yesterday for me).  I know its not going to be perfect, but I'm fairly happy with the results so far.  Next on the menu is to remove some of the smaller dings that I couldn't see before test spraying.  I'm waiting for a random orbital sander to turn up this week so I can start filling and sanding to get the rest of the shape back.

My theory is that I'll coat it with as much filler primer as it will hold and then use the orbital sander to key it back into shape.

As for the bumper, well the bottom half is now the correct colour since I picked up the right colour can this time and I've finished filling the scrapes that were on the old central insert which I'll use again.  Just waiting for some filler primer to dry, a soft rub down and that will be ready for spraying, so I'm hopeful that by next weekend the bumper should be pretty much ready.

Roll on next weekend.

« Last Edit: 13 May 2007, 17:00:13 by meegaveesix »

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: Operation reverse cock up (literally)
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2007, 16:52:24 »

oh, and before I forget, I'm also fitting rear parking sensors this time as well  ;D

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2007, 18:32:16 »

oh, and before I forget, I'm also fitting rear parking sensors this time as well  ;D
Looks like you need them ;D ;D
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2007, 15:34:20 »

Looks like you need them ;D ;D

;D  ;D

Seriously though, its taking shape - good to see you're well in control of the repairs Simon, glad I was able to help out with your old bumper!
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: Operation reverse c0ck up (literally)
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2007, 17:16:25 »

This weekend's achievements.....

Replaced my clocks and so I now have a working rev counter and speedo.

The seat issue hasn't been resolved.  I'm missing the long allen key "emergency winder" thingy, but found that a T27 and T30 torx head fit the gap.  Managed to wind the seat about 2 inches forward, then it wouldn't budge anymore and it just kept spinning - like when a screw is wound in too tight and it just drops the thread....that's what its doing now.  It won't go backwards or forwards now, but at least I'm not sat so far back from the steering wheel.

A problem to be sorted another day I think.  I've wired in my rear parking sensors on the rear bumper which is now fully sprayed, lacquered and hanging in the garage with protective wrapping, ready to go on.

Just need the filler primer to set, then I'll fill the remaining pinhead holes in the filler and it'll be ready for the first coat of primer.

Can't wait to put it all back together, but patience is going to be a virtue on this one to get the finish right.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2007, 17:42:53 »

I am always impressed with people who can do bodywork.  Don't know why, but its something I have never been able to do :(

Looking good so far :y
Grumpy old man

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2007, 17:46:34 »

not quite an exact colour match  ;D

not that noticable tho!
« Last Edit: 20 May 2007, 17:47:02 by D4NNY »

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2007, 18:14:55 »

I am always impressed with people who can do bodywork.  Don't know why, but its something I have never been able to do :(

Thanks for the vote of confidence TB.  Bodywork has never been my strong point, but I can buy the tools and learn just as anyone else.  Filler primer always makes it look better than it is anyway because its so thick.  I'm lucky in a way, because the car is balck, it shouldn't (touch wood) show up my shoddy workmanship when its finished.

It'll never be perfect, but frankly anything's an improvement on the first pictures I took.

Which reminds me....I might need yout Tech II services at some point in the future....got an airbag light on (which was on when I bought it), but I know its going to get on my tits  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2007, 18:20:51 »

Thanks for the vote of confidence TB.  Bodywork has never been my strong point, but I can buy the tools and learn just as anyone else.  Filler primer always makes it look better than it is anyway because its so thick.  I'm lucky in a way, because the car is balck, it shouldn't (touch wood) show up my shoddy workmanship when its finished.

It'll never be perfect, but frankly anything's an improvement on the first pictures I took.

Which reminds me....I might need yout Tech II services at some point in the future....got an airbag light on (which was on when I bought it), but I know its going to get on my tits  :y
I would be very concerned driving around with airbag light on - this means the system is probably disabled.

These are important safety features, and such features probably saved Laidback66's life a few days ago...   ...hopefully, you will never use them though.
Grumpy old man

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2007, 18:29:14 »

Won't hurt it whilst its sat in the garage though.

Once I've got it all up together I'll drop you a line if that's ok, I want to get it sorted, plus it'd be interesting to see whether it could benefit from an autobox software upgrade.  

If it was my daily driver then yes, I'd be permenantly worried, but seeing as its a project car, its one of those things that'll have to wait until I've fixed it to be road ready again

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2007, 21:36:28 »

How good are you at repairing door's? especially the tops of the doors under the window trim?
If you can do a good job the rear quarter panel and spray that in then you are better than me, I can't do big jobs like that, give me wing mirror's and I'll do them all day.
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2007, 07:42:02 »

How good are you at repairing door's? especially the tops of the doors under the window trim?
If you can do a good job the rear quarter panel and spray that in then you are better than me, I can't do big jobs like that, give me wing mirror's and I'll do them all day.

Haven't tried the doors yet, but its another thing on my list as mine are going as well.  The tips I was given were to scrape the rust out using a sharp flat screwdriver, fill and sand if neccessary, then spray primer into the lid of the spray can, let the propellant escape and mix with an artist's paintbrush.  Once the propellant has escaped you are left with a thicker coat of paint that you can work with.  Just keep building the layers up until you are ready to apply a top coat and lacquer.

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2007, 18:17:43 »

Good tip will try that when it gets warmer and no risk of rain as I unfortunately don't have a garage big enough to put the car into. Unless anyone out there in berkshire or hampshire has got a workshop with all electrics I could use  soon?
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2007, 19:30:32 »

I'm only using my garage - although I had to reposition everything to make sure I had enough room to get the Elite in.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2007, 15:55:45 »

Wise decision, and its looking good :y

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2007, 10:06:33 »

Spent a small fortune on paint yesterday, if I didn't have a Halfords trade card, I don't know where I'd be.  Also got some fine surface filler as the Isopon filler is difficult to use when you get down to small dints and cracks.

Hopefully I'll make some headway this week as I've not touched it for a week now.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2007, 10:17:15 »

Spent a small fortune on paint yesterday, if I didn't have a Halfords trade card, I don't know where I'd be.  Also got some fine surface filler as the Isopon filler is difficult to use when you get down to small dints and cracks.

Hopefully I'll make some headway this week as I've not touched it for a week now.

Best ol luck, it's looking good so far :y
I like red cars

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 June 2007, 07:55:10 »

Its sprayed!

Image of the first coat of lacquer.  Have since added a further 2 coats which were much heaver. left to bake in the afternoon sun and then cut back with 1500 grit paper, rubbing compund, T-Cut and then a good polish.

The result (if I do say so myself) I am extremely happy with.  The colour match and even the depth matches that of the boot lid, there are no ripples in the paint and its as smooth as a baby's bum.

I'd like to say thanks at this point to Auto Addict for the aerosol how to, without which I would have taken my usual approach and probably screwed it up.  It does work, especially if you stick to the process.  I'm going to T-Cut and polish the rest of the car today and I'll get some better pictures up when its all finished so it can be admired in all its glory!

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 June 2007, 15:29:34 »

i havn't got the patience for jobs like that, i tend to rush each proceedure and it ends up looking like a huge painted rust spot!!
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

miggy

« Reply #19 on: 03 June 2007, 16:51:34 »

Its sprayed!

Image of the first coat of lacquer.  Have since added a further 2 coats which were much heaver. left to bake in the afternoon sun and then cut back with 1500 grit paper, rubbing compund, T-Cut and then a good polish.

The result (if I do say so myself) I am extremely happy with.  The colour match and even the depth matches that of the boot lid, there are no ripples in the paint and its as smooth as a baby's bum.

I'd like to say thanks at this point to Auto Addict for the aerosol how to, without which I would have taken my usual approach and probably screwed it up.  It does work, especially if you stick to the process.  I'm going to T-Cut and polish the rest of the car today and I'll get some better pictures up when its all finished so it can be admired in all its glory!

Top job, and that was from aerosols, brill.

:y :y

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 June 2007, 18:05:18 »

The finished article.....

Made the mistake of trying to compound and polish in what I thought was morning sun - but my sunburn and the paintwork says different, so its a little misty.  Will levae it to go hard for the week seeing as I'm away and hopefully I can cut it back again when I come home.

Spent the rest of the day cleaning and polishing the bodywork, and its come up really nicely.  There's something about black Omegas that just make them look right.  Anyway enough of my rambling, some pictures to show my hard work:

And the offside rear to show as a comparison:

Cleaned the leather inside today as well using some stuff I bought from work, amazing stuff and it bought it up a charm.

Next on the agenda is to sort the driver's seat out, otherwise its nearly there!

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2007, 21:59:26 »

looks great ,good job :y :y :y
i painted my passenger side back door a couple of weeks a go,looks like the same colour as mine,is it black diamond metallic,mine matched perfect,and they do look sexy in black,nice job m8 :y

meegaveesix

• Basingstoke, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 June 2007, 06:55:16 »

It is diamond black, well spotted  :y

The paint (from Halfords) is a surprisingly good match, so I'm quite happy with the result.  I'm glad I decided to respray the whole wing rather than just the affected area (which is what I would have historically done).

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 June 2007, 07:03:41 »

It is diamond black, well spotted  :y

The paint (from Halfords) is a surprisingly good match, so I'm quite happy with the result.  I'm glad I decided to respray the whole wing rather than just the affected area (which is what I would have historically done).
when i did door i did just areas with base colour and laquered the full door.but sometimes is best too do full panel,i'm pretty confident in spraying as i use too do it for a living,again spot on job m8 :y :y :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #24 on: 04 June 2007, 20:17:34 »

Looking a lot better now :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.