Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: GTO / Monaro Brakes on OMEGA / CATERA MV6  (Read 15997 times)

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • 2001 Cadillac Catera SPT
    • View Profile
GTO / Monaro Brakes on OMEGA / CATERA MV6
« on: 24 June 2007, 17:49:42 »

::)... well the install is done here are the results...

I upgraded from the single piston Omega Brakes to the dual piston Pontiac GTO brakes and so far I love them.

The brakes work awesome and they seem like they stop way better then the OEM ones so it was well worth the money (100$):

ok enough talk here are the pictures:

:gears:

OEM GTO Brakes:

After a couple coats of paint:

:twisted:

RANDOM

2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
Re: GTO / Monaro Brakes on OMEGA / CATERA MV6
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2007, 18:14:17 »

Ohhh BTW here is my Cadillac Catera which now turned into a OPEL Catera soon to be OPEL OMEGA MV6

Here is what it started as:

Here is what it looks like today:

This is the new OPEL GRill with a Germa Plate which has the American numbers on it...

NEW Wing soon to go on (from GTO)

A picture of the new Tires... Kumho Ecsta ASX 245 45 17...
They are about as wide as a beer bottle laying sideways...  :P

2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2007, 18:48:29 »

would love to purchase your catera grille...  ;)

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2007, 08:35:57 »

Awesome Car Mate 8-)

Is it the same disc's or did you have to upgrade them to also what about the pad's.

Cheers Jim
« Last Edit: 25 June 2007, 08:37:07 by jim »
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2007, 16:46:36 »

Disc is the same as the GTO and in fact its the same thickness and diameter but the bolt pattern is 5x120 and on the Omega its 5x110 so it will be useless to change to the GTO ones... not to mention they wont fit....

As to the pads you can use 04 GTO pads, 05/06 GTO pads, and Corvette C5 pads they all fit but the 04 have the smalles pad and the C5 has the larges one of the three and the 05-06 have a pad slightly bigger then 04 but smaller then C5 pad...

I was kinda bugged when I found out so I guess now I will buy some C5 pads and replace the OEM ones I got on there to make them work even better...

Pads in the states are between 30$ and 80$ so its not so bad... For you guys you can see if you got Monaros over there and use their parts they are the same in fact the brakes I put on you cant see in the pictures but they were manufactured in AUSTRALIA.... Go figure...

IS9

• south east
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2007, 13:23:53 »

wow what a conversion  :P anyway is there any chance you made a note of any part numbers on the calipers and brackets as i would love to see if i could cross reference them over here with vauxhall and someone like AP i'd love better brakes as i feel its the one thing that lets all omega's down thanks

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2007, 16:24:53 »

I didnt even look for the part numbers I noticed that it says they were made in Australia... and it says PBR on em but other then that no luck here...
I think you need to look at anything before 04 or 05 and that should be directly related to the GTO because from what I understand the Monaro is almost identical to the GTO engine, brakes, trans... etc...

BTW here are some new pictures of the car as it stands now...

-MAV-

• Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2007, 15:47:43 »

Wow! Nice Car!

i was looking for brakes upgrade too, does anyone know, will theese GTO brakes directly bolt-on to pre-restyled Omega?
because i see that my calipers kind of different comparing to your old ones...
p.s. i have '98 omega with 296 mm discs...

Update: i checked, they are the same... So the inly question is will the 16 in wheels fit?....
« Last Edit: 05 July 2007, 07:16:20 by -MAV- »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6393/tricyclesmalltg6.jpg[/img] FWD Sucks!

miggy

« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2007, 15:56:41 »

Very nice mate, would love to buy that rear winged boot spoiler ;) ;)

phil21turbo

• Slough, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2007, 02:44:00 »

Very sexual them brakes - good job  :y

-MAV-

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2007, 06:42:13 »

One more question...
Will 16 inch wheels fit your car or these calipers require not less than 17s?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6393/tricyclesmalltg6.jpg[/img] FWD Sucks!

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2007, 00:38:04 »

To be honest I think the brakes will bolt up to a pre face lift Omega and I think 16s will fit as well because I have at least 1" Distance to the wheel from the caliper so they will fit, I will bet money on it and also the calipers should bolt up since the hubs and knuckles havent changed between the two years... it was a minor face lift not a full redesign therefore the brakes should be identical...

One problem that I see is if lets say the 2.5 or the smaller engines had different smaller braeks then the 3.0s thats the only thing but the rest should be the same and if they did have smaller brakes then the GTO ones would be even bigger upgrade..

Tiefer

• Spain
    • 2.6 Elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2007, 02:05:53 »

Hi,

The brake hoses are plug & play too??? if yes, witch ones have you fitted?

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2007, 06:15:43 »

Hi,

The brake hoses are plug & play too??? if yes, witch ones have you fitted?

Well the GTO brake lines were exactly like the Catera ones and I think they were the cone shaped ones.... not the spherical ones... I used the GTO lines because they are longer and the Catera ones were too short to reach to the new location on the caliper...  You can use anything longer but nothing shorter then the GTO lines... I think they are 3-4 in longer then the OEM ones that I had on my car...

-MAV-

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2007, 08:25:26 »

Thanks! thats all i wanted to know.

before 1997 4 cyl omegas  had smaller brakes than V6 ones. From 1997 all cars have largest aviable 296 mm discs and same calipers with V6.
Here is the pic of my brakes. in fact, i was wrong about that yours are different, they are the same. To be sure, i checked parts catalog :)

I got Zimmermanns when stock disks worn out. Nothing special, but i like it :)

Thanks again for useful info!
Now i know where to get more stopping power when i need it...

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 July 2007, 21:41:31 »

05-06 brakes notice the second bolt on the caliper bracket is slightly offset and not in line with teh other one. on the 04 they are on the same plane.

04 vs 05-06

So you have to use 04 GTO or Monaro Brakes only the other ones wont work unless you swap some suspension components from the newer models and I ma not sure how much those are compatible.

-MAV-

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 July 2007, 08:34:01 »

Thanks again! :)

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2008, 22:08:38 »

Did you notice much difference when you upgraded?

jemis

• Teesside
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2008, 22:19:27 »

Here is another set of Calipers ready to bolt...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140225634257&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Pity they don't advertise shipping to the UK.

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 April 2008, 22:53:52 »

Here is another set of Calipers ready to bolt...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140225634257&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Pity they don't advertise shipping to the UK.

I'm luck that I have a way round that; my Sister lives in Chicago. As long as I get it shipped to her then she can post it on.

I'm just trying to work out whether it is worth it or not.

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 April 2008, 01:32:31 »

Did you notice much difference when you upgraded?

Yes actual braking seemed improved, the pedal stiffness was the same, and also now under extreme braking on dry pavement you can actually get the ABS to kick in and thats with a 245tires on the car...

So yes it improved, by how much not sure but no more brake fade from long hours in the traffic jam...I guess the bigger pad can take a lot more abuse and seems to work better too..

FRE07962128

« Reply #22 on: 21 April 2008, 05:59:23 »

I upgraded from the single piston Omega Brakes to the dual piston Pontiac GTO brakes and so far I love them.

The brakes work awesome and they seem like they stop way better then the OEM ones so it was well worth the money (100$):

OEM GTO Brakes:

RANDOM

Those brakes look really great!  

But, as somebody ignorant of all these varoius brake modifications, I will ask a question....I find my 2.5 V6 CDX Omega brakes very good indeed, so as a percentage what is the improvement in stopping power of these new 'double piston' brakes?  

Yes, all right, a dumb female question, but is all that effort worthwhile apart from looking great? ::) ::)

Lizzie Zoom :y

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 April 2008, 07:59:09 »

this will be useful to me when i do my Monaro V8 Transplant, i will refer to this.
Top job by the way, looks very good i have to say :y
2001 Omega MV6 Sedan, 2003 Omega 3.2 Manual Estate Ex Plod, 1998 Omega CD Sedan, 2002 Omega MV6 Estate

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 April 2008, 05:23:11 »

OEM GTO Brakes:

RANDOM

But, as somebody ignorant of all these varoius brake modifications, I will ask a question....I find my 2.5 V6 CDX Omega brakes very good indeed, so as a percentage what is the improvement in stopping power of these new 'double piston' brakes?  

Yes, all right, a dumb female question, but is all that effort worthwhile apart from looking great? ::) ::)

There is no such thing as a dumb female question... I guess some people just want the best of the best for their cars and I am one of them.  These bigger brakes will improve some of the brake fade that you may get with your current brakes, and also the larger pad and increased clamping force of the caliper can provide more friction between the pad and the rotor so in other words you should see reduced braking distances with these but by how much I guess... maybe 10-15% maybe more maybe less, I cant judge for sure, I like mine, and I am confident that when I step on them, they will be there and I will never be surprised.  

I am sure the OEM brakes are adequate for a everyday use, they do the job well enough but if you want more braking power these will be a way to go.  Now IDK about prices, it seems shipping to UK is about 100$ so they might end up kind of expensive by the time they get to your car but... it may be worth it.  Also you guys/girls can find used Monaro brakes from the wreck yard and use those.  Also I hear new ones from the dealer are not that bad in pricing either.

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2008, 05:36:24 »

I know this seems daft but can you still use your break level sensor to tell you when you need new pads or does this do away with this and is this you on ebay selling the kit mate......

FRE07962128

« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2008, 18:15:56 »

OEM GTO Brakes:

RANDOM

There is no such thing as a dumb female question... I guess some people just want the best of the best for their cars and I am one of them.  These bigger brakes will improve some of the brake fade that you may get with your current brakes, and also the larger pad and increased clamping force of the caliper can provide more friction between the pad and the rotor so in other words you should see reduced braking distances with these but by how much I guess... maybe 10-15% maybe more maybe less, I cant judge for sure, I like mine, and I am confident that when I step on them, they will be there and I will never be surprised.  

I am sure the OEM brakes are adequate for a everyday use, they do the job well enough but if you want more braking power these will be a way to go.  Now IDK about prices, it seems shipping to UK is about 100$ so they might end up kind of expensive by the time they get to your car but... it may be worth it.  Also you guys/girls can find used Monaro brakes from the wreck yard and use those.  Also I hear new ones from the dealer are not that bad in pricing either.

Thanks for that :y  

I now understand what the point is, and I am tempted! :D

Lizzie Zoom

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 April 2008, 19:29:41 »

I know this seems daft but can you still use your break level sensor to tell you when you need new pads or does this do away with this and is this you on ebay selling the kit mate......

When I put my pads on I had to get rid of the Pad Sensor because there is no where for it to be attached... you can mod the pad so that it will read when it gets low but if you know enough about cars you can check them yourself...

I got a set for sale but its not ready yet, I will post it on here or the other forum when I prep them up for sale... and I will likely ship to UK too... that doesn't bother me. I always hook my fellas up...

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 April 2008, 13:08:19 »

I got a set for sale but its not ready yet, I will post it on here or the other forum when I prep them up for sale... and I will likely ship to UK too... that doesn't bother me. I always hook my fellas up...

do you have the 05/06 ones for sale? im looking for a set of those in the near future but none of the US breakers have got back to me r.e. postage  >:(
sideways is the way forward!

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 April 2008, 15:15:47 »

Nope its the 04 set which is the only set that fits our cars... the 05 -06 is much bigger and does not bolt on our hubs...
More mods are needed to fit those on..

Myagemo

• Derby
  • Don't run well on Bee Pee. Have to try Shell
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 May 2008, 19:34:30 »

Looks like they do the job
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/2444564056_7cd25f0048.jpg[/img]

FYS

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01 July 2008, 19:51:11 »

Hey, these look awesome brakes, have you prepped the set for sale that you speak of in the thread?

Cheers,

Martin

ILKU

• Koszalin, POLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 July 2008, 19:04:19 »

Hi
I was wondering what is the weight of each of those GTO calipers??
Is it made with cast iron??
This in my mod of omega front brakes:
BREMBO 4-pistons alloy calipers
323x30mm discs

on left oryginal omega ones ;)

and some data:
- standard omega 296mm disc - 7,95kg
- standard omega caliper with pads - 7,0kg
- 323x30 disc - 10,5kg
- brembo caliper with pads - 4,2kg

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 December 2008, 20:35:08 »

oh yeah,
iv checked and afaik the monaro and the omega have the same size discs so should be a straight swappy ;)
the vxr however has the uprated discs so they're about 320mm+!
V8!!!!

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04 December 2008, 13:15:16 »

No the GTO/Monaros have a Cast Aluminium (gravity fed cast design) and are quite light, the bracket however is Cast Iron or something cuz its heavy as hell....
If I had to assign weight to it, I guess the caliepr alone is between 1-2lbs, its extreemly light, but the combined assembly is around 5-6lbs...
The Z06 C5 Caliper is low pressure alum injection and its supposed to be stronger and less material on it but not much weight differences...  its simply stronger.

Here is my latest modifications (Research Project) I have aquired enought parts to swap over to Z06 C5 Calipers... so I will keep you all updated...

Nice job on the brembos...

« Last Edit: 04 December 2008, 13:16:31 by CateraMV6 »

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 December 2008, 13:22:19 »

BTW here is the difference between Omega OEM brakes and the GTO/Monaro Brakes...

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 December 2008, 10:51:02 »

Hi
I was wondering what is the weight of each of those GTO calipers??
Is it made with cast iron??
This in my mod of omega front brakes:
BREMBO 4-pistons alloy calipers
323x30mm discs

on left oryginal omega ones ;)

and some data:
- standard omega 296mm disc - 7,95kg
- standard omega caliper with pads - 7,0kg
- 323x30 disc - 10,5kg
- brembo caliper with pads - 4,2kg

Those look good. I've been considering the GTO dual piston upgrade for a while now, but I like the idea of the larger disks. I have 19" wheels so they should be fine. Would the standard spare wheel (steel space saver jobbie) fit over the bigger disks?

Where can I find those Brembo kits and is it a fairly easy conversion? The GTO set is pretty much a straight swap based on what I have seen on this thread.

ILKU

• Koszalin, POLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 December 2008, 22:53:02 »

Hi
No it's not an easy convesion. You have to make spacers for thouse calipers. With bigger discs you would have to put at least 17" wheels.

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 January 2009, 00:56:24 »

This is what I have been doing in the last few months... I found a set of Z06 Calipers... and I will be swapping those to my car in a few days... Planning to do new Semi Metalic Pads... DOT5 Brake fluid... and of course the C5 Calipers.  

The C5 Calipers have a smaller Corvette logo, and the C6 ones have a Corvette logo that goes from one end to the other...
More pictures of the swap are to come soon!...

Here are the Red powder coated calipers...

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 February 2009, 22:58:04 »

Ok so in short here are the pictures of the install, although they bolt on, I dont consider them safe to use....

There are two issues, the C5 Caliper is about 1/4in wider to accept a thicker rotor, so what happens is the caliper moves back too far in order to grip the pads.  WIth that the slider pins slide out 50% out and the Pistons move out as well.

Also the bolt that holds the Brake Hose touches the control arm and during lock to lock turn the control arm could rip the bolts out and you can loose the brakes.  
Otherwise the Calipers could be flipped around and that will give some extra clearance but I dont wanna bother with these no more..

The calipers are for sale if someone wants them please PM me...

Otherwise here are pictures of the Install...

97 Caddi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 September 2009, 20:44:38 »

ILKU where did you get that bracket from? are they custom made. Please help

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 September 2009, 20:51:09 »

Looks to me that they were custom made on a CNC or something...

You can always take your OEM calipers and brackets to a machine shop and have them machine you a bracket that matches the OEM bracket holes and new holes for the new caliper but you will need to do some measuring and math...

Its not hard to install other calipers but this is your brakes and if you screw up something you can find yourself in some serious trouble down the road.

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 December 2009, 19:00:39 »

Major benefit with the GTO Calipers are that you dont have to upgrade the rotors, you can stick with the stock ones.

Bigger rotor and you have to upgrade the bracket that holds the rotor and at that point you might as well go Brembo Calipers...

goats milk

• herford, germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20 December 2009, 09:12:08 »

i so wanted to do this
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.