Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GTO / Monaro Brakes on OMEGA / CATERA MV6  (Read 15982 times)

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • 2001 Cadillac Catera SPT
    • View Profile
Re: GTO / Monaro Brakes on OMEGA / CATERA MV6
« Reply #15 on: 10 July 2007, 21:41:31 »

05-06 brakes notice the second bolt on the caliper bracket is slightly offset and not in line with teh other one. on the 04 they are on the same plane.

04 vs 05-06

So you have to use 04 GTO or Monaro Brakes only the other ones wont work unless you swap some suspension components from the newer models and I ma not sure how much those are compatible.
2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

-MAV-

• Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 July 2007, 08:34:01 »

Thanks again! :)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6393/tricyclesmalltg6.jpg[/img] FWD Sucks!

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2008, 22:08:38 »

Did you notice much difference when you upgraded?

jemis

• Teesside
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2008, 22:19:27 »

Here is another set of Calipers ready to bolt...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140225634257&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Pity they don't advertise shipping to the UK.

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 April 2008, 22:53:52 »

Here is another set of Calipers ready to bolt...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140225634257&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Pity they don't advertise shipping to the UK.

I'm luck that I have a way round that; my Sister lives in Chicago. As long as I get it shipped to her then she can post it on.

I'm just trying to work out whether it is worth it or not.

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 April 2008, 01:32:31 »

Did you notice much difference when you upgraded?

Yes actual braking seemed improved, the pedal stiffness was the same, and also now under extreme braking on dry pavement you can actually get the ABS to kick in and thats with a 245tires on the car...

So yes it improved, by how much not sure but no more brake fade from long hours in the traffic jam...I guess the bigger pad can take a lot more abuse and seems to work better too..

FRE07962128

« Reply #22 on: 21 April 2008, 05:59:23 »

::)... well the install is done here are the results...

I upgraded from the single piston Omega Brakes to the dual piston Pontiac GTO brakes and so far I love them.

The brakes work awesome and they seem like they stop way better then the OEM ones so it was well worth the money (100$):

ok enough talk here are the pictures:

:gears:

OEM GTO Brakes:

After a couple coats of paint:

:twisted:

RANDOM

Those brakes look really great!  

But, as somebody ignorant of all these varoius brake modifications, I will ask a question....I find my 2.5 V6 CDX Omega brakes very good indeed, so as a percentage what is the improvement in stopping power of these new 'double piston' brakes?  

Yes, all right, a dumb female question, but is all that effort worthwhile apart from looking great? ::) ::)

Lizzie Zoom :y

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 April 2008, 07:59:09 »

this will be useful to me when i do my Monaro V8 Transplant, i will refer to this.
Top job by the way, looks very good i have to say :y
2001 Omega MV6 Sedan, 2003 Omega 3.2 Manual Estate Ex Plod, 1998 Omega CD Sedan, 2002 Omega MV6 Estate

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 April 2008, 05:23:11 »

I upgraded from the single piston Omega Brakes to the dual piston Pontiac GTO brakes and so far I love them.

The brakes work awesome and they seem like they stop way better then the OEM ones so it was well worth the money (100$):

OEM GTO Brakes:

RANDOM

But, as somebody ignorant of all these varoius brake modifications, I will ask a question....I find my 2.5 V6 CDX Omega brakes very good indeed, so as a percentage what is the improvement in stopping power of these new 'double piston' brakes?  

Yes, all right, a dumb female question, but is all that effort worthwhile apart from looking great? ::) ::)

There is no such thing as a dumb female question... I guess some people just want the best of the best for their cars and I am one of them.  These bigger brakes will improve some of the brake fade that you may get with your current brakes, and also the larger pad and increased clamping force of the caliper can provide more friction between the pad and the rotor so in other words you should see reduced braking distances with these but by how much I guess... maybe 10-15% maybe more maybe less, I cant judge for sure, I like mine, and I am confident that when I step on them, they will be there and I will never be surprised.  

I am sure the OEM brakes are adequate for a everyday use, they do the job well enough but if you want more braking power these will be a way to go.  Now IDK about prices, it seems shipping to UK is about 100$ so they might end up kind of expensive by the time they get to your car but... it may be worth it.  Also you guys/girls can find used Monaro brakes from the wreck yard and use those.  Also I hear new ones from the dealer are not that bad in pricing either.

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2008, 05:36:24 »

I know this seems daft but can you still use your break level sensor to tell you when you need new pads or does this do away with this and is this you on ebay selling the kit mate......

FRE07962128

« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2008, 18:15:56 »

OEM GTO Brakes:

RANDOM

There is no such thing as a dumb female question... I guess some people just want the best of the best for their cars and I am one of them.  These bigger brakes will improve some of the brake fade that you may get with your current brakes, and also the larger pad and increased clamping force of the caliper can provide more friction between the pad and the rotor so in other words you should see reduced braking distances with these but by how much I guess... maybe 10-15% maybe more maybe less, I cant judge for sure, I like mine, and I am confident that when I step on them, they will be there and I will never be surprised.  

I am sure the OEM brakes are adequate for a everyday use, they do the job well enough but if you want more braking power these will be a way to go.  Now IDK about prices, it seems shipping to UK is about 100$ so they might end up kind of expensive by the time they get to your car but... it may be worth it.  Also you guys/girls can find used Monaro brakes from the wreck yard and use those.  Also I hear new ones from the dealer are not that bad in pricing either.

Thanks for that :y  

I now understand what the point is, and I am tempted! :D

Lizzie Zoom

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 April 2008, 19:29:41 »

I know this seems daft but can you still use your break level sensor to tell you when you need new pads or does this do away with this and is this you on ebay selling the kit mate......

When I put my pads on I had to get rid of the Pad Sensor because there is no where for it to be attached... you can mod the pad so that it will read when it gets low but if you know enough about cars you can check them yourself...

I got a set for sale but its not ready yet, I will post it on here or the other forum when I prep them up for sale... and I will likely ship to UK too... that doesn't bother me. I always hook my fellas up...

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 April 2008, 13:08:19 »

I got a set for sale but its not ready yet, I will post it on here or the other forum when I prep them up for sale... and I will likely ship to UK too... that doesn't bother me. I always hook my fellas up...

do you have the 05/06 ones for sale? im looking for a set of those in the near future but none of the US breakers have got back to me r.e. postage  >:(
sideways is the way forward!

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 April 2008, 15:15:47 »

Nope its the 04 set which is the only set that fits our cars... the 05 -06 is much bigger and does not bolt on our hubs...
More mods are needed to fit those on..
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.