Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: One of the last ...  (Read 10485 times)

SJKOO01

Re: One of the last ...
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2011, 16:24:32 »

I got'a have me a ride in the kit car sometime, next best thing to having a bike in my mind !  :D ::) :y

Clouseau

• Telford
  • Keeping the dream alive...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 September 2011, 18:26:12 »

Well you'll have to wait til the Spring now ... SORN tomorrow :(

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2011, 14:11:28 »

Righty.  New grill on ... really impressed with the quality and fit of this for a £25 purchase, and delivered within 24 hours.

The 'fruity' exhaust managed to survive just long enough to get me home when, on the driveway, the two halves of the flexi joint parted company.

I've read the stuff about pattern cats but I didn't have time to mess about with a repair or source a good second hand, so picked up a brand new one for £160 all in.  I have to say that the quality is excellent - I've fitted a few after market exhaust components and they never line up where they are supposed to, but this one was perfect. Both lambdas came out without any nonsense either after a good soaking overnight. (Yes I know you are advised against that as well).

Having found all the brake pads pretty well shot I've replaced all of those today as well and I'm now getting round to the sunroof. I don't think there is anything wrong with the switch or the motor ... the problem appears to be wear in the joints for the lifting rods which raise the small wind deflector at the front of the opening causing it to open a few mm further than it should. This is creating resistance for the returning roof, which is fouling the wind deflector enough to cause the sensor to do the safety reverse. Hopefully a little bit of mechanical tweaking will take care of that.

Main problem at the moment is avoiding the sunburn! ;)

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2011, 14:12:51 »

The cat doesn't look in too bad shape (apart from the two part flexi) so I'll look to getting this cleaned up and a new flexi joint welded in in due course. Handy to have a spare for the future.

Or for ebay :y

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2011, 14:14:15 »

Forgot to mention the K&N air filter is in now too.  I've never bought one of these before, but for £38 and a 50,000 lifespan I think it's worth it. The quality is really impressive and it comes with a couple of nice stickers which look good under the bonnet!

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2011, 14:15:56 »

Just need me CD wheels now! ;)

Spangly new cat:

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2011, 15:04:15 »

Just need me CD wheels now! ;)

Spangly new cat:

Hope thats not a pattern one.

Why did you not just replace the flexi?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 October 2011, 15:07:56 »

Forgot to mention the K&N air filter is in now too.  I've never bought one of these before, but for £38 and a 50,000 lifespan I think it's worth it. The quality is really impressive and it comes with a couple of nice stickers which look good under the bonnet!

Is it a panel or cone filter?

Also if the filter is oiled, you might want to buy a replacement MAF sensor and keep it handy  :y

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 October 2011, 15:20:24 »

No, not a cone .. straightforward replacement for the original filter. And yes, the cat is a pattern, not an original, but as I said in the post, I needed a fast fix the same day. Now that I've got the old one off I'm going to get it repaired with a new flexi. Then I'll replace the new one when it self destructs :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 October 2011, 15:28:14 »

No, not a cone .. straightforward replacement for the original filter. And yes, the cat is a pattern, not an original, but as I said in the post, I needed a fast fix the same day. Now that I've got the old one off I'm going to get it repaired with a new flexi. Then I'll replace the new one when it self destructs :y

I'd still buy a replacement MAF Sensor, taken K&N Filters website:

"K&N air filters consist of four to six sheets of cotton gauze layered between two sheets of aluminum wire mesh.  This media is then pleated and oiled to enhance its filtering capabilities and overall performance."

Oil will kill MAF.

Personally I would fit standard GM (at less than half cost of K&N)

With replacement flexi, make sure its welded correctly, even a small difference from original can cause problems on re-fitting  :y

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 October 2011, 18:15:55 »

Well I'd be amazed if a massive international motorsport and vehicle parts company like K&N would be selling products that would destroy a MAF. Who knows. Maybe I'll have a MAF failure in the future - if I do I'll let everyone hear (and K&N) know about it. In the meantime, sometimes you just have to do stuff in life that might be a gamble. That's what makes it interesting. ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 October 2011, 08:23:24 »

Well I'd be amazed if a massive international motorsport and vehicle parts company like K&N would be selling products that would destroy a MAF. Who knows. Maybe I'll have a MAF failure in the future - if I do I'll let everyone hear (and K&N) know about it. In the meantime, sometimes you just have to do stuff in life that might be a gamble. That's what makes it interesting. ;)

K&N also say their products give more BHP!

SJKOO01

« Reply #27 on: 02 October 2011, 14:24:29 »

Have to agree with Clouseau Tunnie.  I'm sure such a large respected manufacture has taken the MAF sensor issues into account.  Especially as they're an American company, as I'm sure if this had come to light, then there would of been retail and motorsports customers lining up K&N's company car park with law suits by now  ::) ;) .

Plus I have a spare genuine MAF in the shed (wrapped up), so Clouseau isn't going to have to go far to get a spare that is genuine and working okay  ;D :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2011, 14:37:04 »

I'm going on what I've seen here (countless posts of MAF issues relating to K&N oiled filters)

On basic engines which use little electronics, sure can achieve some gains. But with Omega, the MAF reads the amount of air entering the engine from the filter. If this gets contaminated with oil, it will get the wrong readings.

You really are better off with a standard filter given its price and size!

K&N may work in America where they get 200bhp from a 4.0V8  ;D

Clouseau

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 October 2011, 14:40:53 »

Plus I have a spare genuine MAF in the shed (wrapped up), so Clouseau isn't going to have to go far to get a spare that is genuine and working okay  ;D :y

This 'shed' of yours sounds like Alladin's cave.  I'm sure if you rummaged hard enough there'd be an Elite tailgate spoiler in there!!! ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.