Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sat Nav in a facelift  ND2013 will not load disk.  (Read 2475 times)

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
Sat Nav in a facelift  ND2013 will not load disk.
« on: 07 March 2008, 16:06:09 »

I have a ND2013 system that over the past week will not load the disk just keeps on spiting out. I have used a cd cleaner but no good .

Has and one had this happen to them. I plays cd in the nav disk slot just fine.

Thanks

Steve.  
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Sat Nav in a facelift  ND2013 will not load disk.
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2008, 16:34:51 »

Is it a silver pressed nav disk?

If not, it may be the media is poor, or the laser system is on its last legs.
Grumpy old man

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2008, 16:54:23 »

Hi yes its the Nav Tech disk. Was thinking about the Laser but it still plays the cds does it use the same one for Nav and cds.    
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2008, 17:16:28 »

I have a ND2013 system that over the past week will not load the disk just keeps on spiting out. I have used a cd cleaner but no good .

Thanks

Steve.  

Mine sometimes does that, If I leave it after a minute or so it takes it back in.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2008, 17:29:54 »

We'll have a little disc swap test on Sunday Steve.....

:y

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2008, 09:25:50 »

Thanks

Steve.  

Mine sometimes does that, If I leave it after a minute or so it takes it back in.

Mine too.

I have a quick question:

I have a NavTech disk which is quite out of date now (2001).

Before I go out and spend £69 + £11 p&p on the 2007/8 disk (Click Here), can any of you tell me if the later versions of the disk have much in the way up updates year on year?

Roughly how far behind the reality of new roads are they? Do they improve on map quality, any new features? i.e. are they worth the money?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2008, 10:19:58 »

Both of the mapping heavyweights, TeleAtlas and NavTech are pretty much on the ball when it comes to updates.

The maps are "Amended" with information such as proposed roads at the time of software updates, but obviously this is never going to be 100% precise.

Roads and Bypasses are changed on a daily basis, and maps are launched once or maybe twice a year depending on supplier.

Root around in the car, and you will find a perfectly useable AA road atlas, and its probably more than 5 years out of date, but the point I mam trying to make is that you would still consider using it to get from A to B.

Personally, I update mine every year in my VW, and yes, I do see a benefit from it, but then I cover a phenominal mileage every year, so the small additions really do add up in my case. That said, the Nav disc in my Ferrari is probably two years old, and even that doesn`t miss a road - if it does, then I haven`t noticed it as it doesn`t really do the mileage to warrant yet another hundred quid for a disc.

Horses for Courses really - how often does the nav mapping fail to get you where you wanted to go?

:-/
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2008, 10:31:17 »

Both of the mapping heavyweights, TeleAtlas and NavTech are pretty much on the ball when it comes to updates.

The maps are "Amended" with information such as proposed roads at the time of software updates, but obviously this is never going to be 100% precise.

Roads and Bypasses are changed on a daily basis, and maps are launched once or maybe twice a year depending on supplier.

Root around in the car, and you will find a perfectly useable AA road atlas, and its probably more than 5 years out of date, but the point I mam trying to make is that you would still consider using it to get from A to B.

Personally, I update mine every year in my VW, and yes, I do see a benefit from it, but then I cover a phenominal mileage every year, so the small additions really do add up in my case. That said, the Nav disc in my Ferrari is probably two years old, and even that doesn`t miss a road - if it does, then I haven`t noticed it as it doesn`t really do the mileage to warrant yet another hundred quid for a disc.

Horses for Courses really - how often does the nav mapping fail to get you where you wanted to go?

:-/

Considering the number of new roads between Bedford, Cambridge, Luton, Milton Keynes and Oxford going on right now and the fact that I live right in the middle of the lot (in Bedford) quite often. Every time I go to work I drive through about 8 miles of ploughed fields according to the SatNav.

In the last couple of weeks I have had to visit 2 addresses which my 2001 system had not yet heard of; one of these was Jaime's house and the other was my Sister-in-Law's new house (about 2 years old).

I've also been caught out with 3 petrol stations marked on my SatNav that were nothing more than abandoned sites when I got there. I got away with it so far, but I'd hate to rely on this and get to a "dead" site with very little fuel left (re-fuelling happens quite often with my driving and a 3.2)

I am just as interested to know whether they have introduced any other improvements such as graphics etc. too.

Does anyone have a newer disk and lives within a reasonable distance that I could visit you and see how it looks before buying?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2008, 11:00:24 »

I used to live in Stevenage -- I know the ares you are driving very well

Buy a new disc - No question !!!

;D
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2008, 11:00:58 »

I find the main trunk roads appear fairly quickly (going by my TomTom, which probably adds another layer or delay), within a year. Smaller roads, new estates etc, take a bit longer.

It took TomTom a year to get A43 on, but about 3yrs to get my road on (can't remember which mapping provider they used at the time, but 1 of the 2 biggies).
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2008, 11:05:34 »

Remember that handheld Sat Navs will not update as fully as the In Car Ones -

Even if from the same mapping company, the financial incentives for keeping the Road network accurately updated far outweighs the need to tell the hikers and bikers which way to walk.

www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2008, 11:12:41 »

Remember that handheld Sat Navs will not update as fully as the In Car Ones -

Even if from the same mapping company, the financial incentives for keeping the Road network accurately updated far outweighs the need to tell the hikers and bikers which way to walk.

Yup, I can see/understand that, though I think TomTom and similar are reasonably good when they release new version.

In that case of my road, built in 2000, wasn't on my brother's beemer factory fit in 2004 (new car, so presumably fairly up to date map disk).  But then it only started to appear on the 'online' maps around 2003 anyway.  But only a small close though.
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2008, 16:57:05 »

In that case of my road, built in 2000, wasn't on my brother's beemer factory fit in 2004 (new car, so presumably fairly up to date map disk).  But then it only started to appear on the 'online' maps around 2003 anyway.  But only a small close though.

That is a general problem with the smaller "Unadopted" roads as they are often under a different set of rules and regulations from the general highways. Many new estates tend to have these roads.
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2008, 17:26:14 »

That is a general problem with the smaller "Unadopted" roads as they are often under a different set of rules and regulations from the general highways. Many new estates tend to have these roads.
The road was adopted by the council in 2001...
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2008, 17:56:18 »

Does that mean that the original planning use was unadopted though? As that is the original information that would have been sent to the mapping companies - for some strange reason, they do not keep up to date with the change of use from unadopted to adopted and blame the councils for lack of communications. If its a small road, and nobody has complained or mentioned it, it may just go un-noticed.

Incidentally, if you advise the mapping compnies of an error or a "missed" road, they are usually very thorough in investigating it
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.