Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wtd: Rear disc backing plates/shield  (Read 2453 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Wtd: Rear disc backing plates/shield
« on: 29 January 2016, 18:22:27 »

As per title, preferably not rusty like mine ;D
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

Re: Wtd: Rear disc backing plates/shield
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2016, 18:46:11 »

Are they sided?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2016, 19:50:47 »

Are they sided?

Think they are, due to, handbrake spring,
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2016, 20:45:40 »

Ok, which side?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2016, 17:42:06 »

Defo NSR. Possibly both.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2016, 17:44:27 »

Defo NSR. Possibly both.
Have the near side one on a trailing arm, but has been trimmed to accept Monaro calipers... Using as a.test piece...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2016, 08:22:26 »

As its a job I don't fancy repeating, if there is a choice, I'd rather have a complete one.
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2016, 10:11:33 »

Are they still available from VX?

When the backplates on my 1994 Omega lost the keyholes required to hold the early style retaining pins I asked about replacements at the dealers. I was told that they could order me later type backplates but the early ones had been discontinued.

I ended up getting a kit of pins, springs and keyhole washers that were meant for a Passat and passing the pins through from behind the plate. (I could probably have used genuine later type pins and washers but couldn't wait for them to be ordered)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2016, 10:07:06 »

As I understood it you can't replace the backplates without removing the rear bearings. Which is a simple, 2-minute job, as we all know...  :(

I've ended up acquiring two low-mileage complete trailing arms, simply because my backplates are rusty, and probably won't see me through the next MoT...
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2016, 10:22:54 »

As I understood it you can't replace the backplates without removing the rear bearings. Which is a simple, 2-minute job, as we all know...  :(

I've ended up acquiring two low-mileage complete trailing arms, simply because my backplates are rusty, and probably won't see me through the next MoT...
You need to get the axle/shaft out of the bearing but I think the bearing can stay in place in the trailing arm.

Still a lot of work though - which is why I found a bodge work-around
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2016, 11:11:35 »

I knew it was a lot of digging and dissasembling. Worth knowing, as my original but soon-to-be spare trailing arms are fine, aside form the backing plate, so at some point when they're off, I'd like to de-rust them, paint them up and fit new plates.

Depends if TB needs his car pretty much every day? If so I'd definitely recommend getting some replacement trailing arms, whacking them on, then refurbishing his originals at his own pace.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2016, 12:15:04 »

I knew it was a lot of digging and dissasembling. Worth knowing, as my original but soon-to-be spare trailing arms are fine, aside form the backing plate, so at some point when they're off, I'd like to de-rust them, paint them up and fit new plates.

Depends if TB needs his car pretty much every day? If so I'd definitely recommend getting some replacement trailing arms, whacking them on, then refurbishing his originals at his own pace.

So that's buy more parts, and do the job twice? That seems to be very much a DIY/non-professional solution to me. The only thing it has in its favour is that changing the backing plates requires removing the hubs(and any used plates will have been through this process!), and in my experience that will also mean that the one-piece bearing comes apart in the process - which then adds the cost of a new bearing. At £25ish that isn't too bad but is a pain. Having done rear wheel bearings, I don't think it's that bad a job, but I suspect I'm in a minority.

Personally, I would consider cutting a slot in a suitable place on the plate, fitting it around the hub and then welding the plate back together. This would take less time than scrounging a used trailing arm, let alone fitting the thing. But then everyone has a different idea of what is and isn't faffing about.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2016, 13:04:00 »

All depends if you need the car ready for tomorrow, Nick.  :) If he does, it's not a job I'd relish doing in one evening.

As I said "Depends if TB needs his car pretty much every day" Spend half an hour on a spare trailing arm... when bored - shut the garage door, come in have a pint, do some other jobs go to bed, etc over a period of weeks without stress, worry or a deadline.

Not trying to be contrary Nick, honestly, but how is TB eventually winding up with some some de-rusted, freshly painted trailing arms with brand new backplates, everything with a coat of stonechip paint on, presumably brand new handbrake springs, shims, shoes to boot a 'DIY-Non-professional job' versus looking under your car to see everything as rusty as before, only a brand new backplate which has been sawn in half, then welded back together to fit around the hub/arm assembly?

As you say, different ideas of the definition of faffing about. With time I'd have a go at the rear bearing, but it's certainly not something I'd attempt in a night. So I'm wilfully admitting my own limitations of expertise and ability here.  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2016, 13:43:43 »

I mentioned slotting the backing plates because I reckon you could have both of them changed in an hour. Not entirely ideal, but it is the difference between doing the actual job(replacing the brake backing plate), and succumbing to mission creep and tarting up while you're under there.
On my daily driver painting the trailing arms(something I'd only do with everything like the bushes, brackets bolts etc removed) is going to make no difference to the longterm use or maintenance of the car. So it isn't going to happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.