Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Village Hall Boiler  (Read 897 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Village Hall Boiler
« on: 12 January 2011, 18:25:16 »

Hi peeps, I am involved with a small Charity running our Village Hall. Today a 'Gas Safe' engineer arrived to do the annual service on one of our Hall boilers, a 15yr old VC GB 242EH Vaillant, which has given us trouble free heating since installation, including just before the service, and advised us on completion that it would not light up and it was a timer problem.
I am informed that the push button (ignition?) switch (has a pic. of a flame next to it) on the main switch panel came out of its housing as the panel was removed, and was then pushed back in, and suspect this may be the problem. The panel has been removed, and the push button goes into a sealed switch unit behind, and we have been unable utilise the terminals on the unit to get it to run.

We are unable to get another qualified engineer for two days, and the 'Gas Safe' engineer is, unsurprisingly, 'unavailable'. (Further action is proposed in his case.)

1. All fuses have been checked and there is switched power to the boiler from the serviceable (checked by leccy) timeswitch. Is there any other simple thing that a good DIYer or electrician could check?

2. As Vaillant want an exorbitant price to send an engineer out, never mind repair it, we feel that if we are unable to get it going cheaply, we should replace the boiler with a modern condenser. Could anyone recommend a suitable reliable boiler to supply ten 1000mm x 600mm double radiators. No hot water supply required. I am sure there must be an OOFer who can help. :y

TIA :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Village Hall Boiler
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2011, 18:33:30 »

I used to have a similar boiler and, IIRC, the button is just a circuit breaker - like device that pops out when  an error condition is detected.

Seems clear to me that the "gas safe" guy is nothing of the sort and has broken it?

You can see the device in this picture, top right, if I'm correct?

http://www.clickonbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/VAILLANT_100555_VC_GB_242EH_FLAME_SUPERVISION_DEVICE.html

Or is it on this board?

http://www.clickonbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/VAILANT_130330_VC_GB_242EH_PRINTED_CIRCUIT_BOARD_PCB_.html

Either way, spares appear to be available, so he should be supplying one, IMHO.

I'm guessing it only sees occasional use so the payback time from an early replacement for a more efficient boiler would be so long you might as well fix this one?

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2011, 18:35:32 »

By the way - it might be worth opening up the box with the electronics in and making sure the reset button has not simply come loose from the front panel.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2011, 18:44:52 »

Thanks Kevin. TBH it doesn't look like either of those, but first one was similar. It may be a CB, but with the flame pic. alongside I guessed it is an igniter button. It is now loose in its mounting hole, it is spring loaded, but you can't see the spring with the panel removed as it is inside a black sealed unit about 1" square. :y
« Last Edit: 12 January 2011, 18:46:04 by ci643215 »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2011, 19:03:38 »

I used to have a similar boiler and, IIRC, the button is just a circuit breaker - like device that pops out when  an error condition is detected.

Seems clear to me that the "gas safe" guy is nothing of the sort and has broken it?

http://www.clickonbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/VAILLANT_100555_VC_GB_242EH_FLAME_SUPERVISION_DEVICE.html

Or is it on this board?

http://www.clickonbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/VAILANT_130330_VC_GB_242EH_PRINTED_CIRCUIT_BOARD_PCB_.html

I'm guessing it only sees occasional use so the payback time from an early replacement for a more efficient boiler would be so long you might as well fix this one?

Kevin

Actually it's in use every day, we have a very busy booking schedule. Hence our urgent need for a fix of some sort. I'll go down after dinner and if you don't mind I'll PM you a photo of the panel and switch .:y
« Last Edit: 12 January 2011, 21:15:53 by ci643215 »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2011, 19:48:24 »

That won't work as I can't put pics in a PM. :(

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2011, 19:51:19 »

If you can post pics here you can stick `em in a PM
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2011, 20:21:01 »

If you can post pics here you can stick `em in a PM

Comes under 'too difficult' for me, even though I've read the instructions several times. Makes me wonder how I ever understood flying manuals, Oh! now I remember, they were written in English. ;D ;D ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2011, 21:32:01 »

Or is it on this board?

Kevin

Hi Kevin, yes you are correct, the first one quoted, 100555, is the replacement for the older version  (100522) on ours. I can get one for about £50, so will try that before replacing the boiler. :y :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.