Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Weight of a 3.0 v6 engine?  (Read 3158 times)

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
Re: Weight of a 3.0 v6 engine?
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2007, 20:52:01 »

won't a chevorlet engine fit ,monaro is basically a corvette v8 is it not,don't know about the weight though :y :y :y
wasn't the opel reckord a bit like the vauxhall victor,i can remember my dad having two victors,one which had collum change fantastic :y
« Last Edit: 21 June 2007, 21:01:28 by geoff »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2007, 21:49:13 »

I know where there is one possibly two for grabs, i have a feeling the guys isn't clued up as to what he has, they both have huge mileage on them and the cars they came out of looked like they had been to the moon and back at least twice

Well I'll have one of them then....

Lets add another consideration to the pot...

A V8 is fairly cheap to get hold of but, by the time its re-built and with a small amount of tuning your talking a grand.....you then need a gearbox etc to.....not easy to get for these....

An american V8 is not easy to get and the ones of choice are mega bucks (many housands) adn again you need the gearbox.

A 3.0 manual Omega can be got for a couple of hundred quid and you have everything you need sat waiting to be transfered over.......

So it wins on cost to.

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2007, 00:24:50 »

I know where there is one possibly two for grabs, i have a feeling the guys isn't clued up as to what he has, they both have huge mileage on them and the cars they came out of looked like they had been to the moon and back at least twice

A V8 is fairly cheap to get hold of but, by the time its re-built and with a small amount of tuning your talking a grand.....you then need a gearbox etc to.....not easy to get for these....

An american V8 is not easy to get and the ones of choice are mega bucks (many housands) adn again you need the gearbox.

A 3.0 manual Omega can be got for a couple of hundred quid and you have everything you need sat waiting to be transfered over.......

So it wins on cost to.

let me confirm this......

the guy has two SDi vitesses, both c or d reg and the inlet set up is slightly different in that instead of having one inlet it has the two that go into the chamber and effectively two throttle bodies rather than a single

if thats a twin plenium then i am sure that is what he has there

nemesis_v6

• tiverton devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 June 2007, 02:29:27 »

depending on your bugget i would go for the v8 because the car looks nice and old and i would love to see the look on some tw*ts face in his excort when you leve him standing at the lights and everyone looking because off the v8 rumble lol

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 June 2007, 08:46:33 »

So it wins on cost to.

let me confirm this......

the guy has two SDi vitesses, both c or d reg and the inlet set up is slightly different in that instead of having one inlet it has the two that go into the chamber and effectively two throttle bodies rather than a single

if thats a twin plenium then i am sure that is what he has there

That is indeed a twin plenum....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 June 2007, 09:53:01 »

Technical issues aside, I think as the car is an Opel there'd be a certain amount of charm attached to keeping it in the family and using the Vauxhall engine.

When you look at the technical nitty gritty the Rover V8 is a pretty ancient engine by modern standards but it is a very commonly used engine and therefore they are plenty of people who have trod the path before and plenty of parts available for tuning, etc.

You can also just slap a carb and a distributor on it and it'll run.

The Vauxhall engine has no provision for a distributor (quite rightly so for a modern engine) and I doubt you will find anyone making a manifold to fit a carb to it. So, your engine management is going to be more complex. However, I personally wouldn't build an engine using carbs or a conventional distributor these days. The benefits of mapped ignition and fuel injection are just too great and it's not that expensive or difficult to do. With care, you could probably re-use the original ECU but you'll have a lot of work to do keeping it happy when devices that it's used to controlling have gone. I'd probably go for an ECU you can map yourself, perhaps a Megasquirt or Emerald.

I find the Rover V8 is a very lazy feeling engine to drive, as well. Don't get me wrong, it's a powerful engine but whilst it generates huge torque from idle speed upwards it doesn't really thrive on revs, even when mildly tuned. It's got great characteristics for a heavy, cruising car but personally I prefer an engine that likes to rev a little more. I think the Vauxhall V6 would be a better bet in this respect.

If the Vauxhall engine will give you enough power and you aren't going to want to tune it much above standard then go for it. If you're going to want silly power you'd be better off dropping in a V8 that will produce it out of the crate IMO, or at least one that's well supported by suppliers of tuning bits.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 June 2007, 09:56:39 »

P.S..

If anyone does get the opportunity to weigh a V6 please can you post your results?

I keep getting indecent thoughts about dropping one into my Westfield  ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 22 June 2007, 10:06:24 »

Technical issues aside, I think as the car is an Opel there'd be a certain amount of charm attached to keeping it in the family and using the Vauxhall engine.

GM - well the Rover V8 is ex GM :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 June 2007, 10:25:17 »

GM - well the Rover V8 is ex GM

So it is..  :-[

Well, then. There's heritage in both options, for what it's worth!

Kevin

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 June 2007, 10:59:06 »

There is pretty much no GM left in it.....massivly changed from the 215...

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 June 2007, 19:33:59 »

rover v8 is based on old buick engine isn't it,rover p5 b,b stud for buick(excuse the spelling) :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 22 June 2007, 19:34:43 by geoff »

realboss7669

• Bristol, UK
  • "Nao ha tempo para amanha"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 June 2007, 21:39:18 »

Wow thanks for all the helpful replies!

Hmmm, I'm going to print off this thread and sit down and think it over slowly. Then I'm going to open a beer and think some more. :-/

This is a big decision. V8 would be nice as the car will be black and is reminiscent of the Dodge Charger, but V6 is more economical and modern.

Thanks so much for the help! :y
Cars:
Mercedes CL420 Coupe (LPG'd)
Porsche 924 Carrera GT
BMW E30 convertible with 3.5 engine conversion ("335"!)
Omega 3.2V6 Elite - for sale :-(

Honda VTR1000 SP2
BMW GS1150Adventure

Martin_1962

« Reply #27 on: 24 June 2007, 21:44:27 »

This is a big decision. V8 would be nice as the car will be black and is reminiscent of the Dodge Charger, but V6 is more economical and modern.

And different

realboss7669

• Bristol, UK
  • "Nao ha tempo para amanha"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 June 2007, 21:50:43 »

And different

Yeah I agree. I like the V6 because you still get a wonderful deep engine rasp but its a little more subtle. Having said that I cant remember the last time i saw (heard) a Rover V8 coming up the road.
Cars:
Mercedes CL420 Coupe (LPG'd)
Porsche 924 Carrera GT
BMW E30 convertible with 3.5 engine conversion ("335"!)
Omega 3.2V6 Elite - for sale :-(

Honda VTR1000 SP2
BMW GS1150Adventure

Martin_1962

« Reply #29 on: 24 June 2007, 23:34:34 »

And different

Yeah I agree. I like the V6 because you still get a wonderful deep engine rasp but its a little more subtle. Having said that I cant remember the last time i saw (heard) a Rover V8 coming up the road.

Last time was about 3 weeks ago in a Land Rover at Calor
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.