Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2979184 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #15840 on: 06 March 2018, 18:00:45 »

When I ran out of pads on my mates Insignificant (that I was using for the fortnight, he was in his Morgan) going down to SW France, we got pads, tools and mechanic flown out...

...but wasn't that extravagant, the mechanic was coming out joining us on holibobs anyway ;D
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15841 on: 06 March 2018, 18:13:11 »

When I ran out of pads on my mates Insignificant (that I was using for the fortnight, he was in his Morgan) going down to SW France, we got pads, tools and mechanic flown out...

...but wasn't that extravagant, the mechanic was coming out joining us on holibobs anyway ;D

I only needed to borrow some wood, a hammer and a nail. Had it done less than an hour after getting back to the house.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15842 on: 06 March 2018, 18:17:43 »

I only needed to borrow some wood, a hammer and a nail. Had it done less than an hour after getting back to the house.
I sat on my arse drinking beer, and watched poor Chris do it all.  Highly recommended ;D.  Mind you, Chris was necking more beer that me.  We all decided that we would test it the next morning ;D
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15843 on: 06 March 2018, 20:58:27 »

M3 was broke today on way home, so took to the back roads. A very enjoyable drive, Spotify was picking some good tunes, engine was running silky smooth, somehow more the usual and not sure if it was the air today but the 3.2 was really flying along.

aaronjb

« Reply #15844 on: 07 March 2018, 09:40:19 »

No bailing wire? It does sound like you've gone completely native with the vehicular repair standard, after all ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15845 on: 07 March 2018, 11:22:02 »

No bailing wire? It does sound like you've gone completely native with the vehicular repair standard, after all ;)

Various bits of wood were used to chock the car, as an axle stand and to put under the car's jack so it didn't dig up Bear's recently tarmaced drive. The nail knocked the pins out, once I'd blunted its end on a stone.

I could have bought a trolley jack, axle stands, pin punch set, my own hammer, a mat to lie on and some scented candles, but it was a simple temporary fix on a car; not a religious ceremony.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15846 on: 07 March 2018, 11:55:36 »

To have gone properly native, he'd have left it by the side of the road to rust, and for plants to grow out of, and bought another disposable Cirogeot to "enjoy" the journey home in. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #15847 on: 07 March 2018, 13:26:50 »

Various bits of wood were used to chock the car, as an axle stand and to put under the car's jack so it didn't dig up Bear's recently tarmaced drive. The nail knocked the pins out, once I'd blunted its end on a stone.

I could have bought a trolley jack, axle stands, pin punch set, my own hammer, a mat to lie on and some scented candles, but it was a simple temporary fix on a car; not a religious ceremony.
Last time I got under a car to do a job (many moons ago), I got scented.....by a passing dog.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15848 on: 07 March 2018, 14:22:31 »

Last time I got under a car to do a job (many moons ago), I got scented.....by a paissing dog.

FTFY.  ;D ;D ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15849 on: 08 March 2018, 12:25:50 »

chucked a pair or Meyle HD track rod ends on the Zafira,
Booked in for geometry later.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15850 on: 08 March 2018, 17:28:51 »

Cleaned the Desmond, seemed quite chilly when i first started but warmed up nicely when i got going. Seemed a damn sight easier to clean than daughters black Mondeo that i did Tuesday. It seemed to have a lot of bigger panels. ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15851 on: 10 March 2018, 15:02:42 »

collected the pads, and replaced these:

from the state of the back of the disc, that pad had been rusted in place for some time. It certainly wasn't easy to remove with the limited tools I have here.

I'll get new discs for it when I return home, as the pads cost twice as much as I would normally pay.
Congratulations on your improvised overseas repair. Was the 4th pad stuck in, little worn, seized piston?
You have got me checking the records of my 6 Omegas, all in daily use. I last changed rear brake pads in May 2013 on my 3.2, mileage 171K, checked May 2015 good, mileage now 190K. Two other car checks came out as 3/4 worn in Mar 2017. I have twice tried to buy TC pads, only to be told no stock in Drive Bristol. I guess I must order some. Is there an online supplier?

I imagine when Quentin Wilson was told on Top Gear, chatting to the Police Workshop man concerning police use of 24v Senators, "we change the brake pads every 2 weeks and the tyres once a month" he meant 'front brake pads'.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15852 on: 10 March 2018, 17:32:52 »

You worry FAR too much.

Pads are a common part, available the next day even in rural France.

The improvisation was tools, NOT the parts.

In 30 years of driving abroad, this is the first time I've ever had to touch the car. I'm not going to take parts and tools just in case.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15853 on: 11 March 2018, 19:40:39 »

Broke it AGAIN  >:(
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15854 on: 11 March 2018, 20:32:13 »

Discovered my 3.2 is actually silver, not battleship grey. Old girl looks decent-ish again, at least presentable for MOT.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.