Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worth putting polybushes in ATP wishbones?  (Read 1285 times)

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
Worth putting polybushes in ATP wishbones?
« on: 14 November 2017, 16:35:47 »

I went cheap as the car was new to me and didn't know what was lurking unseen, but I'd hoped for more than 23 months/16,000 miles.
Nearside front bush totally shot to the point of clunking and offside not far behind it. Car taken on a distinct knock-kneed stance.
Personally I blame the pillow speed humps that proliferate around here and do bugger all to slow the mummy jeeps and pikey transits that are the real menace.

I digress.

Option 1 - Is a polybush in ATP a waste of time because the rear bush/ball joint/welding wont be far behind?
Option 2 - New ATP kit. I'm not a spirited driver any more and another two years might see the rest of it ready for the fire brigade practice yard.
Option 3 - Nearly double the cost and fit Merle or Lemforder from AGP? Preferences?
Option 4 - Take into account other things (dodgy gearbox, failing back box, cd player that doesn't work and is not bose, usual rust, age, mileage, mpg etc) sell my tools and lease a Lexus?
Option 5 - (Probably should be option 1) is not available as uncharacteristically I slung out the original arms, thinking at the time ATP so cheap why faff around cutting out old bushes.

Whats the latest thinking? Anyone done option one with satisfactory reults?

Steve

Every start's a bonus!
03 2.6 Elite estate. Bose my A***

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Worth putting polybushes in ATP wishbones?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2017, 17:10:10 »

ATP with polys in mine. I'll fit new rear bushes to them when that becomes necessary.

I did several front end rebuilds last year, and binned all of the original GM wishbones, as I can't see any difference worth spending the time cleaning them up, changing the bushes and ball joint, and repainting them.

Any of the wishbones only crack around the rear bush mount when fitted with a bush that works differently to the OE one. If you don't do that, then it isn't a concern.

In my experience, front suspension bushes should be considered consumables on ANY car with a McPherson strut front end, from a Ford Popular onwards. The bigger and heavier the car and wheels, the quicker the wear occurs. Fitting polys just moves the fault to other components; if you do the TCAs(wishbone equivalent) and antirollbar on a Capri, you kill the rack internal bushes. Replacing those with metal ones can split the rack casing. At some point you decide that you're now creating faults, not preventing them.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2017, 19:50:16 »

I have wishbones of unknown (can't remember) make with poly fronts and febi rears, and febi ball joints.

I just refurb what I've got, when needed.
Hoof'land storeman.

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2017, 17:46:15 »

Thanks for replies, confirmed I'm not wasting my time so poer flex on order.

Steve

Every start's a bonus!
03 2.6 Elite estate. Bose my A***

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2017, 12:55:20 »

Check condition of rear bush, as if this has splits, get new (rubber) bushes in them whilst its out
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 17 queries.