Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: End of new build petrol cars...  (Read 6436 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: End of new build petrol cars...
« Reply #30 on: 10 February 2020, 20:54:05 »

So no problem there then ;D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 February 2020, 05:20:52 »

Good luck with that...  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 February 2020, 18:23:38 »

we'll have to buy our own portable travel chargers  ::)

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 February 2020, 12:32:32 »

Put a tow hitch and wheels on it, and a big V8 petrol engine and I'll happily tow it behind my mandatory electric SUV. :y
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 February 2020, 13:04:04 »

Put a tow hitch and wheels on it, and a big V8 petrol engine and I'll happily tow it behind my mandatory electric SUV. :y
OR...
rip out the electricary gubbins from the Co-op milk float mandatory electric SUV, install the V8 ,then throw all said electricary gubbins in a trailer and leave the trailer on the drive at home, saving fuel ,which is good for the planet  :P

tractor juice (diesel) engines are better suited to running generators than petrol though

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 February 2020, 17:31:20 »

OR...
rip out the electricary gubbins from the Co-op milk float mandatory electric SUV, install the V8 ,then throw all said electricary gubbins in a trailer and leave the trailer on the drive at home, saving fuel ,which is good for the planet  :P

tractor juice (diesel) engines are better suited to running generators than petrol though
Apparently they have to take big diesel generators to the Formula E races to recharge all the car batteries, but the gennies run on glycerin, which makes it Okay ;)
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 February 2020, 20:10:57 »

I bet for every 1 liter of glycerin fuel they use to power the generator....
 the lorry transport,then ship, then lorry transport uses about 2 liters of dirty diesel to get it to the UK and then to the race track
how very green   ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 February 2020, 20:40:44 »

They were being ironic ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 February 2020, 22:36:43 »

There seems to be a lot of scaremongering or plain mis-understanding going off about this-I'm talking in general not about this thread-even if they pull it off it only refers to the sale of new cars,ICE vehicles will be around for many years yet.It could be that such vehicles may be heavily penalised to "encourage" getting rid of them but then can any government afford to alienate such a large portion of the electorate?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 February 2020, 22:53:54 »

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 February 2020, 22:26:25 »

When STEMO has to give up his diesel car there is an electric vehicle in his vicinity that will serve him well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/electric-milk-float-1956-morris/274269132667?hash=item3fdbb6d77b:g:7MQAAOSw0LleR5oR
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 February 2020, 16:41:28 »

Anyone heard that at these motorway service stations with charging points for your EV, the £ of leccy equates to the same as petrol/diesel?! So the pence per mile is identical to ICE car. Yyyup, astonishingly enough theyre using it as a cash cow, whodathunkit?

Hm, where's Jimmy when you need him? He makes fairly regular use of these things IIRC..

Not been on the ball with this thread, but on the cost point, all the charge points I use cost around 30p/kWh for rapids (30Kw plus) the most costly are 39p. There is one company - ionity that is charging 60p+ but only for it's 350kw chargers iirc, and only if you aren't a member (which involves downloading a free app). So not really relevant unless you are a Porsche Taycan owner with no phone. Tesla charges 24p.

Given that my milkfloat's long term average is 4.2 miles per kWh, at 30p/Kw, its about 7.5p/mile Or the diesel equivalent of 75mpg.

Yes, the rapid chargers are a rip off compared to charging at home, but I view them similarly to fuelling up on the motorway - not done unless absolutely necessary.

The simple fact is that installing an new infrastructure is expensive so the companies need every installation to turn a good profit. As Shackeng mentioned 100bn by 2050... Personally I'd see that as a better investment than half of HS2.  ::)

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 17 February 2020, 17:02:18 »

There seems to be a lot of scaremongering or plain mis-understanding going off about this-I'm talking in general not about this thread-even if they pull it off it only refers to the sale of new cars,ICE vehicles will be around for many years yet.It could be that such vehicles may be heavily penalised to "encourage" getting rid of them but then can any government afford to alienate such a large portion of the electorate?
As was stated earlier, Baza, they could be killed off by the closure of uneconomic fuel stations. The big fuel companies won't keep expensive forecourts going if only a minority use them.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 February 2020, 17:43:37 »

As was stated earlier, Baza, they could be killed off by the closure of uneconomic fuel stations. The big fuel companies won't keep expensive forecourts going if only a minority use them.

Yes, the market will dictate that, but don't panic as you and I will have given up driving anything by then :D :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 February 2020, 17:53:59 »

Anyone heard that at these motorway service stations with charging points for your EV, the £ of leccy equates to the same as petrol/diesel?! So the pence per mile is identical to ICE car. Yyyup, astonishingly enough theyre using it as a cash cow, whodathunkit?

Hm, where's Jimmy when you need him? He makes fairly regular use of these things IIRC..

Not been on the ball with this thread, but on the cost point, all the charge points I use cost around 30p/kWh for rapids (30Kw plus) the most costly are 39p. There is one company - ionity that is charging 60p+ but only for it's 350kw chargers iirc, and only if you aren't a member (which involves downloading a free app). So not really relevant unless you are a Porsche Taycan owner with no phone. Tesla charges 24p.

Given that my milkfloat's long term average is 4.2 miles per kWh, at 30p/Kw, its about 7.5p/mile Or the diesel equivalent of 75mpg.

Yes, the rapid chargers are a rip off compared to charging at home, but I view them similarly to fuelling up on the motorway - not done unless absolutely necessary.

The simple fact is that installing an new infrastructure is expensive so the companies need every installation to turn a good profit. As Shackeng mentioned 100bn by 2050... Personally I'd see that as a better investment than half of HS2.  ::)

Indeed.  The 18th Edition of Electrical Regulations, Section 722.311 onwards certainly ensures that no cowboy (cheap) installation of each charging point should be possible. This is just two sections:

Section 722.311 – Maximum Demand and Diversity
<IET>A dedicated final circuit shall be provided for the connection to electric vehicles

<EO> It is not possible to “daisy chain” the power to the charging stations. Each charging station shall have one dedicated supply with a dedicated RCD.

<IET> Where the final circuit supplies more than one charging point no diversity shall be allowed. Diversity may be allowed for a dedicated distribution circuit supplying multiple electric vehicle charging points if load control is available

<EO> if there is no load control, then the stations must have the full supply available e.g. if there are four 22KW stations then there must be 88KW available at all times.

However EO provide load control devices. The EO ALM unit (EO ALM Installation Guide) is available for the EO Basic and EO Mini products. The EO Genius also has Load Management options including scheduled, static and fully automatic (section 5 of EO Cloud User Guide).

Therefore diversity can be allowed with the correct use of EO’s load control products.

Section 722.411.4.1 – PME Earthing Systems
<IET> A PME earthing facility shall not be used as the means of earthing for the protective conductor contact of a charging point located outdoors or that might reasonably be expected to be used to charge a vehicle located outdoors.

<EO> This will mean that the use of an earthing rod is the primary mechanism for providing an earth connection for the charging station. The earth electrode should have a measured impedance of less than 150ohms in all normally expected conditions (e.g. summer or winter) to reliably charge all vehicles.

NOTE - The 18th edition also specify three scenarios where the use of PME is permitted. For example in the use of large 3 phase installations, the site’s earth is directly connected to the transformer and when a specific device is fitted to isolate all terminals in the case of a fault. However these 3 scenarios are the exception and not the intended norm.

It is not going to be ever a cheap installation times millions, and not one for the gifted amateur!  :o :o :D ;)

Reading the whole regs on this subject, with diagrams, is very interesting though 8) 8) :)
« Last Edit: 17 February 2020, 17:55:50 by Lizzie Zoom »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.