Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Old cars are shite.  (Read 10996 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: Old cars are shite.
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2018, 08:26:48 »

To date my mate has spent around £27,000 buying & restoring a 1975 MGB GT V8 also owns a mint MG Midget he loves them , as said earlier each to their own & no accounting for taste.😎

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2018, 08:39:47 »

If memory serves it has the same wheezy 1.8 litre engine than went into the woeful 1.8TC Marina.

Yep. Make a "sports car" but use a gutless old boat anchor of a tractor engine because that's what's in the parts bin. ::)

BL actually spent money on developing the B series & was it the O or S series  engine  :-\
Anyway they put that engine in the ITAL 1.7 & later  as a 2 ltr in the Monstro cars ::)

I had a 1.7 O series in my shItal and it was actually a decent engine for its time. Way livelier than the B series. It would have been a decent upgrade had the BL bean counters put it in an MG.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2018, 09:32:13 »

I love the look .. but I would, I'm sure, hate the drive.

I'd rather a Truimph GT6 or Staaaaag.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2018, 09:38:56 »

I love the look .. but I would, I'm sure, hate the drive.

I'd rather a Triumph GT6 or Staaaaag.

The only thing that a GT6 does better than an MGB is sound good. Other than that, they're horrible - like a Dutton made by a proper car company :o

2boxerdogs

« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2018, 09:52:07 »

If I wanted an old "sports car" it would have to be an Austin Healey 3000 or in my opinion the most beautiful car ever produced an  E type Jaguar.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2018, 10:10:00 »

My current daily is a 1992 MX5. I love it and all the faults with it.

Granted it's 20+ years newer than the MGB, but the inspiration for it came from the UK.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2018, 10:25:20 »

My current daily is a 1992 MX5. I love it and all the faults with it.

Granted it's 20+ years newer than the MGB, but the inspiration for it came from the UK.

Emma Peel Elan.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2018, 10:27:23 »

Believe me, an MGB has no similarities whatsoever to an MX5, apart from the name starting with M.  ;) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2018, 10:28:16 »

If I wanted an old "sports car" it would have to be an Austin Healey 3000 or in my opinion the most beautiful car ever produced an  E type Jaguar.

I've always wanted a TR6. Still do........but I imagine the dream wouldn't match the reality and it would drive like a bus.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 August 2018, 10:29:33 »

Believe me, an MGB has no similarities whatsoever to an MX5, apart from the name starting with M.  ;) ;D

Both designed for girlies. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2018, 10:34:34 »

If memory serves it has the same wheezy 1.8 litre engine than went into the woeful 1.8TC Marina.

Yep. Make a "sports car" but use a gutless old boat anchor of a tractor engine because that's what's in the parts bin. ::)

BL actually spent money on developing the B series & was it the O or S series  engine  :-\
Anyway they put that engine in the ITAL 1.7 & later  as a 2 ltr in the Monstro cars ::)

I had a 1.7 O series in my shItal and it was actually a decent engine for its time. Way livelier than the B series. It would have been a decent upgrade had the BL bean counters put it in an MG.

Could be wrong but I think this is the same lump I had in my 1981 Princess ( which was given to me FOC because something called 'Displacers' ??? were f*ucked.

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 02 August 2018, 11:11:27 »

Could be wrong but I think this is the same lump I had in my 1981 Princess ( which was given to me FOC because something called 'Displacers' ??? were f*ucked.
OMG...my Austin princess  :o The worst car I ever owned, even worse than my Austin 1100.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2018, 11:29:35 »

OMG...my Austin princess  :o The worst car I ever owned, even worse than my Austin 1100.

I quite liked mine. Replacement for the old Austin 1800 landcrab.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2018, 11:32:49 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2018, 12:29:42 »

I love the idea of a 356 speedster, but just that, the idea.

Iirc they rolled off the line ith aroun 45-55bhp, rising to a dizzying 95 if you coughed for the hot one (can't remember what its called now). If I were thinking of one today, it'f have to be a Chesil Speedster with a 200bhp scoobie boxer in the boot  8).

Not to mention a chesil would be the right side of £40k, the porker the wrong side of £200k  :o

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2018, 12:31:58 »

I love the idea of a 356 speedster, but just that, the idea.

Iirc they rolled off the line ith aroun 45-55bhp, rising to a dizzying 95 if you coughed for the hot one (can't remember what its called now). If I were thinking of one today, it'f have to be a Chesil Speedster with a 200bhp scoobie boxer in the boot  8).

Not to mention a chesil would be the right side of £40k, the porker the wrong side of £200k  :o

::) ::) :)  Incongruous.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.