Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Will a 2004 Astra hatchback front bumber fit a 2008 Astra estate?  (Read 2970 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

2008 Astra estate 1.6 petrol estate
Above car was damaged in collision with another car, damage is mainly front bumper, car is still driveable. I have a dead 2004 Astra saloon with good front bumper. Will it fit?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

If they have the same dashboard then yes :y

If not, then no.

:y
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

If they have the same dashboard then yes :y

If not, then no.

:y
Thanks. The donor car is in my drive, but the car with damaged bumper is in London. Dash in donor car seems the same as 2006 and 2010 Astras, so I imagine the bumper will fit the 2008. I have been offered £2000 for the wreck, or £1400 and the damaged car.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

You need to work out if it's worth keeping it ,
is it drive-able to get it back to your's for the work ? if not then recovery costs
front bumpers can hide  a lot of damage ,chassis rails,radiators,fans,aircon,slam panel pushed back,headlights never aiming correctly etc etc
If it is just the bumper, it's pretty easy. is the spare bumper the correct colour ?
any issues with the rest of the car ? much MOT left,miles done,cambelt been replaced etc etc

it's probably not worth the hassle when you could pick up a half decent astra with 12 months MOT for a grand  :-\

though prices close to you seem high compared to the real world  :P

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

You need to work out if it's worth keeping it ,
is it drive-able to get it back to your's for the work ? if not then recovery costs
front bumpers can hide  a lot of damage ,chassis rails,radiators,fans,aircon,slam panel pushed back,headlights never aiming correctly etc etc
If it is just the bumper, it's pretty easy. is the spare bumper the correct colour ?
any issues with the rest of the car ? much MOT left,miles done,cambelt been replaced etc etc

it's probably not worth the hassle when you could pick up a half decent astra with 12 months MOT for a grand  :-\

though prices close to you seem high compared to the real world  :P
I assume it's driveable, Cath used it for 7 days after the collision without trouble, or reported symptons. I think it's just the bumper. little more.
My spare bumper is grey, Cath's car is blue.
MOT expires November 25th.
I have seen other attractive Astras on e-bay recently, but none nearby at the moment.
A possible complication is that the blue Astra is registered and insured in her name. She is covered (3rd party only) to drive any other car not owned by her, but I am not sure this would continue if we scrapped the blue Astra on which the policy was based.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

If the insurance pay out , regardless of if you keep the astra or find another ,the insurance is cancelled
so that does not matter  :y

short MOT, wrong colour replacement bumper ,so you would have to paint it  :(
not sounding like it's worth the hassle keeping the damaged astra
you may find other problems accident related (like headlamp alignment issues,leaking rad etc)
or problems that are non accident related but will fail the MOT

cars like this clicky with 12 months MOT are not that far (within 25 miles) and leaves enough to re-insure if you get £2k payout

how much new insurance will cost depends on who was to blame for the damage to the astra

what good points does the crashed astra have going for it ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

It's been written off :P

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

;D :D
see, these rusty old Vauxhalls are an appreciating asset , Terry never paid £2k for it  :-X  ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

I am under the strong impression that the other car driver's insurer has admitted liability and made various offers. At the time of collision Cath's car was stationary in a traffic queue when the other party cut through the lanes of cars and struck her car. So far as I know, the other party's insurer, or its agent, contacted me, admitted liability, and seemed anxious to settle, something I have never met before in 60 yrars of motoring. I don't believe our insurer ever got involved. He rang me, offering  loan car and to take Cath's car away to repairer for estimate, later ringing me with the offers mentioned.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

Above car was damaged in collision with another car, damage is mainly front bumper, car is still driveable. I have a dead 2004 Astra saloon with good front bumper. Will it fit?
If the 2004 is an Astra G then No.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

;D :D
see, these rusty old Vauxhalls are an appreciating asset , Terry never paid £2k for it  :-X  ;D
I paid £799 for it.
And to ensure insurance cover on my Omega estate while Cath is driving it, I have added her as a named driver on the policy. This earned me a reduction in premium of £23.01.

STEMO

An astra g wouldn't have the same dash, surely.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

I am under the strong impression that the other car driver's insurer has admitted liability and made various offers. At the time of collision Cath's car was stationary in a traffic queue when the other party cut through the lanes of cars and struck her car. So far as I know, the other party's insurer, or its agent, contacted me, admitted liability, and seemed anxious to settle, something I have never met before in 60 yrars of motoring. I don't believe our insurer ever got involved. He rang me, offering  loan car and to take Cath's car away to repairer for estimate, later ringing me with the offers mentioned.

stinks of the other party being an un-insured driver to me  :o

have you have not contacted your/Cath's  insurance ?

if not, take the cash and buy another car ,that way it won't be recorded as a claim

sounds like a right mess to be in

his spare 2004 car is an early  astra H Design IIRC ,not astra G  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Hence my question re the dash :y

aaronjb

stinks of the other party being an un-insured driver to me  :o

Doesn't sound like they were uninsured to me .. given Terry says their insurer called him?

That's what happened when I was punted up the arse, too; the 3rd parties insurer called me and was very eager to settle the claim without involving my insurance company - it's cheaper for them that way, because there's no potential for legal claims, expensive hire car claims, an accident management company taking their cut (because my insurer just handed it off to an accident management company who need to make their cut out of it all) etc etc etc.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.