Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP my omega..  (Read 18489 times)

albitz

Re: RIP my omega..
« Reply #60 on: 22 January 2012, 22:34:10 »

How very dare you. Are you insinuating that I have lapses of memory ?  >:(

:P :D ;D ;D

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 22 January 2012, 22:39:26 »

I dunno, ask me that again in 10 minutes and we'll see!!

:D ;D :P
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

albitz

« Reply #62 on: 22 January 2012, 22:41:01 »

Ask what ?  ???

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 22 January 2012, 22:45:24 »

;D ;D

So... when are you gonna break that CDX that you were telling me about...

;D ;D
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

albitz

« Reply #64 on: 22 January 2012, 22:52:30 »

Whats a CDX ? Have we met ? :-\

albitz

« Reply #65 on: 30 January 2012, 18:54:48 »

Havent made a lot of progress on the car recently ,mainly due to being at work almost all the time. Got the oil cooler reinstalled (with the correct sealant this time) a few days ago.
Engine bay now looks pretty clean again,after all the mayo etc. was cleaned off. Bloody stuff had got everywhere.

Managed to spend a bit more time on it today.New stat installed,oil cooler pipes reattached,coolant bridge back in place, and stat link pipe back in place.Now know where the bastid bolt got its name from. ::)

Just remains to reinstall Rad,coolant pipes,electrical plugs,vac pipes, and odds & ends.Then it will hope fully be up and running sweet as a nut again.Unfortunately,due to various commitments and workshifts,it may be next week before I have it running.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2012, 19:01:16 by Albs »

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 30 January 2012, 20:05:11 »

Nice One Albs! Ever thought about giving up the day job & going into engine bay valetting? ;D ;) :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 30 January 2012, 20:14:50 »

Looking good  :y :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 02 February 2012, 08:28:38 »

Nice One Albs! Ever thought about giving up the day job & going into engine bay valetting? ;D ;) :y

He might be good with engine bays, but he's terrible with driveways...  ::) :-X

albitz

« Reply #69 on: 02 February 2012, 09:41:03 »

:-[ :-[ ;D ;D............sorry Twigs,but you really should buy better quality bowls to catch braked fluid etc. They need to be capable of withstanding a brake caliper dropping onto them from a height of approx. 30cm. :y

Hoping to get some time on the car before I got to work this afternoon.First priority will be compression test,as I need to take the tester back to work today. Hopefully report back later.

albitz

« Reply #70 on: 07 February 2012, 19:22:45 »

Once again,work commitments and wintery weather have meant that progress on the project has been painfully slow.
The last owner was given three reasons by the mechanic why head gasket failure had been diagnosed.
1. Mayo on dipstick meant that oil/water in sump had mixed. I have checked and ascertained that the oil in the sump looks fine and there is no coolant contamination.
2.Old oil cooler had been pressure tested after removal and found to have no leak. I pressure tested the old cooler and found it to be leaking like a sieve.
3. Compression test had been carried out and found that there was little compression on one bank of cylinders.
At this point the car was returned to its owner and hasnt run for more than a few minutes since. I borrowed a compression tester from a workmate and removed the coil packs to access the plugs, so they could be removed to do the test.
The sight which greeted me upon removing the coil packs led me to believe that it was unlikely the plugs had recently been removed to carry out a compression test. ::)

Had already started to remove the oil from the o/s plug wells when I took the pic above.

N/S bank.

Coil pack rubber boots which had a good soaking.

Almost enough oil sucked out of the plug wells to do a quick oil change on my bike. ::)

Breathers were then inspected and found to be in a right state.Even the large diameter pipe had lots of big lumps of gunge coming out and took a lot of cleaning.Smaller pipes etc. were completely blocked.

The joys of restoration projects eh !!

New camcover gaskets ordered from AndyC. Hoping the coil packs have survived their bath. Time will tell.
Put some of the coolant pipes back today,but found that the pipe from the HBV to the matrix had a knackered connector,as had my only remaining spare. Twiglet is sending one via his best carrier pigeon tomorrow.
At the moment it feels like Im digging the hole deeper rather than filling it in,but Im confident it will all be ok in the end.
Another worry is what the final spend will have been and then what the car will be worth to someone when its finished,but too late to stop now,so will worry about that when the time comes.  :-\
« Last Edit: 07 February 2012, 19:33:26 by Albs »

albitz

« Reply #71 on: 07 February 2012, 19:31:15 »

I did carry out the compression test after cleaning out the plug wells.It turned out the compression tester was a bit old and knackered (later confirmed by its owner),it doesnt hold the pressure very well.
However,all cylinders appeared to give a reading of around 15 bar. Both banks gave very similar readings to each other,and all cylinders gave similar readings to each other,so Im happy that the head gasket story has been put to bed. ::)
« Last Edit: 07 February 2012, 19:35:04 by Albs »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #72 on: 07 February 2012, 19:34:50 »

seems like a detailed work done for a miggy to bring it back to life..  well done Albs :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 07 February 2012, 19:35:11 »

15bar is about 220 psi so pretty good comps for a petrol engine :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

albitz

« Reply #74 on: 07 February 2012, 19:35:58 »

I just wish I had done it in the summer rather than the winter.If it was summer (or I had a garage rather than just the driveway to work on it) it would have been done and dusted by now. :(
« Last Edit: 07 February 2012, 19:38:17 by Albs »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.