Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Two year old car with 50k miles, should that put me off?  (Read 3778 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
Two year old car with 50k miles, should that put me off?
« on: 08 September 2019, 18:57:34 »

Its a 440i Gran Coupe, one owner, motorway miles etc.

I haven't seen it yet, it's 135 miles away so at least 3 hours drive. Usually I wouldn't even consider it but it has a very good spec and I would only go for it if the price was reduced closer to £20k. Its a used approved from BMW (so one year manufacturers warranty) and it's priced at £23.5k. Actually it's been on there for at least 3-4 months and hasn't sold so either mileage, price or condition (or a combination) is putting people off.

My annual mileage is about 5k so if i kept it 5 years, it would have 75k on a 7 year old car which averages out.

There are lower mileage (20k miles) cars available on autotrader trader but with very basic spec.

Would this (or the fact its a BMW) put you off?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Two year old car with 50k miles, should that put me off?
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2019, 19:04:05 »

I’d be more concerned that it’s a BMW  :-X ::) :D

In all seriousness, I would rather buy a 200k, 7 year old car than a 2000 mile 7 year old car.

If all the servicing is in line then I wouldn’t worry too much... Modern cars are capable of starship mileages :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2019, 19:09:39 »

In all seriousness, I would rather buy a 200k, 7 year old car than a 2000 mile 7 year old car.

If all the servicing is in line then I wouldn’t worry too much... Modern cars are capable of starship mileages :y

That is almost word for word what I was about to write. 50k miles isn't a lot. 20k miles over 30 years creates all sorts of expensive problems. Used and well maintained is always better.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2019, 19:28:15 »

That is almost word for word what I was about to write. 50k miles isn't a lot. 20k miles over 30 years creates all sorts of expensive problems. Used and well maintained is always better.

Fully agree with all above comments :y :y

Some of my company cars had 100k miles on them after just one year, but they were fully serviced, well looked after with no expense spared, and when they went back to the dealer who supplied them mine were rated "like new"!

So JUST 50k after 2 years should not put you off. Just look at the normal indicators of careful ownership when you inspect it ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2019, 19:41:50 »

I haven't seen it yet, it's 135 miles away so at least 3 hours drive. Usually I wouldn't even consider it but it has a very good spec and I would only go for it if the price was reduced closer to £20k. Its a used approved from BMW (so one year manufacturers warranty) and it's priced at £23.5k. Actually it's been on there for at least 3-4 months and hasn't sold so either mileage, price or condition (or a combination) is putting people off.

My annual mileage is about 5k so if i kept it 5 years, it would have 75k on a 7 year old car which averages out.

There are lower mileage (20k miles) cars available on autotrader trader but with very basic spec.

For this money the car world has far more to offer....just saying. :y

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2019, 19:51:04 »

All opinions welcome. And still open to suggestions

Thanks for the comments. I guess I agree with those sentiments too

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2019, 19:54:07 »

Yes, maybe, but perhaps a good deal can be had on this as it has apparently been for sale for a few months, with the mileage (only?) putting off potential buyers. Me thinks a time for the OP to make a silly offer especially if cash in pocket to wave in front of seller.....? 8) :D ;)
« Last Edit: 08 September 2019, 19:55:38 by Lizzie Zoom »

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2019, 20:45:43 »

Exactly Lizzie  :-*

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2019, 20:47:55 »

I spend 50% of my time commuting in BMW 2018 m140i and before that m235i.

The ride in BMW’s is absolutely horrific, it’s utter utter shite. They feel poorly made, cheap, tin like, with cheap materials. Plastics, trim, doors etc all feel cheap.

Economical thorough, even with 3.0 twin turbo. 30mpg easy.

So I’d walk away myself and look at Jagggs

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2019, 21:47:09 »

The ride in BMW’s is absolutely horrific, it’s utter utter shite. They feel poorly made, cheap, tin like, with cheap materials. Plastics, trim, doors etc all feel cheap.

That's odd, as I spend a lot of time in my 2019 430d M Plus and it's a nice place to be.  :-\  The seats hug you so you don't move about when cornering quickly and it laps up big miles with ease. Deep pot holes are not nice with 35 profile tyres but it's comfortable otherwise. I've driven 600 miles in one go with no spinal issues.  The controls are at your finger tips and it's just so easy to drive.
There's good and bad in all cars, my sisters XE lost over 18K in a year when px'd and the horrific depreciation is well documented on the Jag forum. Not said in a nasty way as I was looking at XF's myself at one stage. Good for the second/third hand buyer though.  :y
Still, we speak as we find and the OP said he welcomed opinions good or bad.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2019, 22:12:23 »

I echo what Mr YZ250 said. You're really comparing apples with oranges. The 3 & 4 series in rides a lot better than the baby BMWs, adaptive suspension improves things even further as far as comfort goes. Ditto the interior.

My friend and his brother have M140i, F30 Active Hybrid 3 and 420i and I spent many hours in my brothers F30 and we are in agreement.

If you really want to compare apples with apples, the Jag XE, which is a direct competitor to the 3/4 series has noticeably inferior cabin according to owners and professional car reviewers (and I spent countless hours trawling forums and reading articles)

By the way, the M140i is twin scroll single turbo  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2019, 22:22:53 »

Fair enough I’ve not been in 3 or 4, but can’t see how it could be drastically batter. While they do have figure hugging seats, they still feel cheap inside with fake leather.

Last winter his fuel cap would not open, due to ice. Cheap parts with premium badge in my view. I’m always glad to step out of it, I enjoy commuting in the Zafira more than a BMW  ;D

Surely better options out there for the money.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2019, 22:28:06 »

On one of its many lengthy trips onto BMW, the stealer put me in an F30 320d.

Now, aside from the fact that compared to the 3.0 petrol, the 2.0 diseasel felt like you needed to get out and push, it was a lot better inside than the 140i, and also rode a lot better. That said, I'd avoid the combination of bigger wheels and non-adaptive suspension.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2019, 00:05:38 »

The F30 330d xDrive / 335d xDrive that i test drove where't uncomfortable at all imo  :-\ :y

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2019, 07:59:06 »

Don't forget, Tunnie prefers his cars to handle like the QE2 or a 1970s Lincoln Continental :P ;) (based on the ribbing he's had for the last decade, anyway ;D)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.