Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 186   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Person  (Read 368414 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Person
« Reply #135 on: 03 October 2017, 14:29:08 »

Your kind of proving my point Nige. In the early days of pop / rock music, to be successful you had to start in youth clubs, coffee bars, pubs, etc. cutting your teeth and learning your craft on the job.
Now, you would probably attend a stage school, where any creative talent you may have will be drummed out of you, then do an audition for X factor or similar, bypassing all those stages where craft is learned, and the wheat usually got sorted from the chaff along the way.
I don't think its like this because todays yoof want it. Todays yoof don't know what it was like previously, and if they did, I'm sure they would want that instead.
Even more serious minded musicians don't follow the old routes these days, partially because, as you say, the small venues aren't there in great numbers any more.
Instead they will learn how to produce their own albums via their computer, at home, and then release it on the internet.
Nothing wrong with that in itself I suppose, but I wonder what happens when they become a bit of an internet sensation, and then have to start performing at gigs.
Even the big stars of yesteryear disappoint me now. They usually play the O2, because it has a lot of seats to put bums on at £100+ per seat, and thousands of people sit in this soulless place watching the artist on the screens at the side of the stage, because they are so far away they are too small to see.
The audiences applaud politely at the end of each song, until its time to go home. It aint a rock concert like I remember rock concerts.
Almost every memorable gig Ive been to has been at a small (1500 max.) venue.
The only exception being Roger Waters at the O2, as he seemed to have worked out how to make the place feel small.
I'm in rant mode now, in case no-one had noticed.  ;D

Sorry, but it's really not as bad as that. Yes, there are the manufactured acts, and the "instant fame" routes like Arsefactor etc, but there are still small venues, there are still bunches of guys with guitars and drums driving around in crap vans. I know this, as I go to see them, and when I go to see them I feel like someones grandad! My son plays 
in a small band in London in his spare time, my daughters partner sings in a band on the South Coast in his spare time. Even where I live and in Swansea there are small venues where a band can get a 40 minute slot for beer money, and to flog their CDs burned on their computer at home.

Seek and ye shall find  ;)

I know it is still happening Rog, but the pathway from there to chart topping albums and world tours has almost disappeared.
People who play in pubs now, tend to stay in pubs imo.

Asaslight aside, I don't know what road Coldplay trod to get where they are, but I wish someone would close it off, in case theres another 2nd rate U2 tribute act half way along it.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 03 October 2017, 14:30:39 »

Talent will always shine through.

If only that was true. When you look at whats popular these days, surely there must be real talent lurking somewhere.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #137 on: 03 October 2017, 14:34:56 »

It is true, it’s just that you’re an old fart who lives in the past. My granddad thought the Beatles and Rolling Stones were just screaming and making a noise because he liked Mario Lanza and Vera Lynne. It’s an age thing, old fella.  :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 03 October 2017, 14:58:51 »

Nope. Good music is good music, whether its from the 17th century or the 21st. It just seems very difficult to find it in the 21st.
Who in the 21st century, even with all its technology can play guitar like Hendrix did in the 60,s ? By now someone should have taken the instrument on to greater levels of creativity than he did,but they haven't. Few can even properly replicate what he did then.
Every new boy band who storms the charts for a year or two are compared to the Beatles, never the boyband who stormed the charts a year or two before them.
Where is there a new songwriter who could hold a candle to Dylan, Neil Young or Randy Newman ?  ? Ed (the plagiarist) Sheeran  ?  ::)
I could go on............
Actually, give it 5 minutes and I probably will.  ;D
« Last Edit: 03 October 2017, 15:04:44 by Migv6 »

STEMO

« Reply #139 on: 03 October 2017, 17:17:40 »

Nope. Good music is good music, whether its from the 17th century or the 21st. It just seems very difficult to find it in the 21st.
Who in the 21st century, even with all its technology can play guitar like Hendrix did in the 60,s ? By now someone should have taken the instrument on to greater levels of creativity than he did,but they haven't. Few can even properly replicate what he did then.
Every new boy band who storms the charts for a year or two are compared to the Beatles, never the boyband who stormed the charts a year or two before them.
Where is there a new songwriter who could hold a candle to Dylan, Neil Young or Randy Newman ?  ? Ed (the plagiarist) Sheeran  ?  ::)
I could go on............
Actually, give it 5 minutes and I probably will.  ;D
All that, of course, is in your opinion  :)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 03 October 2017, 17:25:23 »

yes most acts nowadays are just throwaway items. im talking my era here but where are the new freddie mercurys,steve perrys or lou gramms.they wouldnt even be considered these days let alone going back to sinatra,matt monroe etc. i go to places today where they have the radio on and it just seems like 1 song all day long. cannot tell where one song ends and another one starts.so bland.i know its a similar feeling for all generations vs their parents throughout the ages but im glad i grew up when i did

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 03 October 2017, 17:31:57 »

yes most acts nowadays are just throwaway items. im talking my era here but where are the new freddie mercurys,steve perrys or lou gramms.they wouldnt even be considered these days let alone going back to sinatra,matt monroe etc. i go to places today where they have the radio on and it just seems like 1 song all day long. cannot tell where one song ends and another one starts.so bland.i know its a similar feeling for all generations vs their parents throughout the ages but im glad i grew up when i did

Too true! :y :y :y

After the 1980's, by then I had been through the music of the late 50's, 60's and 70's, the appeal of what was available seemed to have nose dived.  Glad I was born when I was ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 03 October 2017, 18:44:56 »

Like many on here it seems I grew up with parents listening to the likes of Mario Lanza etc,they then moved on to Tom Jones,Engebert Humperdink and such,then one day a record was played on the radio and dad said "Now there's a good song well sung" I was gobsmacked it was a song called Bohemian Rhapsody!! Personally I like Mozart,Wagner etc right through to such as Pink today.Two music genres I can't get on with are rap [talking to a background of noise]and jazz[several people playing different instruments at the same time without any of them noticing what tune the rest are playing].

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 03 October 2017, 21:11:59 »

Like many on here it seems I grew up with parents listening to the likes of Mario Lanza etc,they then moved on to Tom Jones,Engebert Humperdink and such,then one day a record was played on the radio and dad said "Now there's a good song well sung" I was gobsmacked it was a song called Bohemian Rhapsody!! Personally I like Mozart,Wagner etc right through to such as Pink today.Two music genres I can't get on with are rap [talking to a background of noise]and jazz[several people playing different instruments at the same time without any of them noticing what tune the rest are playing].

;D  But not far off the truth
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 04 October 2017, 14:42:51 »

Human themes (experiences, emotions, hopes and fears) are unchanged since the dawn of time. The only thing which changes is how those themes are presented.

Reflect on this a while and revisit other artistic eras outside your own. Then it will all make sense ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 04 October 2017, 14:50:09 »

;D  But not far off the truth
Saw a newspaper cartoon some years ago. Two guys from a jazz band, both hot and sweaty, were talking after a number. One said to the other, "I was playing 12th St Rag, what were you playing?" ;D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 04 October 2017, 14:52:53 »

Human themes (experiences, emotions, hopes and fears) are unchanged since the dawn of time. The only thing which changes is how those themes are presented.

Reflect on this a while and revisit other artistic eras outside your own. Then it will all make sense ;)

Al, whatever you've been taking today . . . . . . . I want some  ;D
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 04 October 2017, 15:05:11 »

:P

Ok, listen rather than watch, and try these two...

1. https://youtu.be/2Q2enkV1hus

2. https://youtu.be/Wq_TOl9e_NU (nws)

Both share the same sentiment,  but are presented very differently,  both in time and form...

Or these two...

1. https://youtu.be/KylMqxLzNGo

2. https://youtu.be/F7KECjF17M8
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 04 October 2017, 16:21:37 »

Stephane Grappelli and Nick Drake in my car at the moment. :y

......oops mean't to be in 'Roger the Sheep man's' music thread. :-\ :)
« Last Edit: 04 October 2017, 16:23:18 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 16 October 2017, 19:04:21 »

Irish stand up comedian Sean hughes,gone at the age of 51.Apparently cirrhosis of the liver.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 186   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.