Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay of E  (Read 15927 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Gay of E
« Reply #105 on: 22 November 2019, 18:08:50 »

Another "fast and free", ordered first week of November, turned up yesterday, 2 weeks after "expected delivery".  Despite seller claiming immediate dispatch, the tracking clearly shows it was dropped off in a midland postoffice this Tuesday, so why the seller is trying to claim its a royal mail fault I do not know.

In addition, this was an assortment of items, but 50% were missing. Auction promised a certain number, but the seal blister pack was 50% short.  Seller still unhappy.

I've actually bought the bits from a local-ish shop, due to the item not arriving when promised, but I was happy to accept them if the missing parts were sent, but the seller is unhappy with that. So yet another in the resolution center :(.
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 22 November 2019, 18:42:02 »

Don't know how you seem to have so much trouble! I won an auction on Tuesday,paid for it via paypal that day,item was according to e-bay due to arrive by next Thursday[28th] it actually arrived yesterday.Never had any problems buying off e-bay other than one of the courier companies telling me they'd tried to deliver a parcel once but I was out when I wasn't but it turned up the day after.

STEMO

« Reply #107 on: 22 November 2019, 18:46:50 »

Don't know how you seem to have so much trouble! I won an auction on Tuesday,paid for it via paypal that day,item was according to e-bay due to arrive by next Thursday[28th] it actually arrived yesterday.Never had any problems buying off e-bay other than one of the courier companies telling me they'd tried to deliver a parcel once but I was out when I wasn't but it turned up the day after.
That used to piss me off with amazon. If they give you a delivery date, and you have to make arrangements to be in, then early is no better than late.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 22 November 2019, 22:08:24 »

its probably just bad luck that someone has had so many issues with ebay. things can go wrong but all just been bad coincidences.which would put you off using ebay if it happened a lot.
personally i find it a fantastic place. every single thing i need for my cars, my house and various bits for work have come from ebay. its been years since i ever went in a motor shop or diy shop.and for unusual or rare/obsolete items every thing eventually pops up on ebay .a few clicks and in a few days it arrives. perfect.
if im planning a job on a car at the weekend id look for the bits at beggining of week and they usually are here by weekend.
yes ive had a few things not turn up and had to open up a few disputes ( maybee half a dozen in the 10 or so years )but the good outweighs the bad by a large margin

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 23 November 2019, 10:59:10 »

personally i find it a fantastic place. every single thing i need for my cars, my house and various bits for work have come from ebay. its been years since i ever went in a motor shop or diy shop.and for unusual or rare/obsolete items every thing eventually pops up on ebay .a few clicks and in a few days it arrives. perfect.
Be aware, its usually about the most expensive place to buy new stuff.

yes ive had a few things not turn up and had to open up a few disputes ( maybee half a dozen in the 10 or so years )but the good outweighs the bad by a large margin
I'd say in my first 15yrs of using, both buying and selling, I think I had one single issue (ironically my first ever purchase).  In the last half a dozen years, I'd estimate opening well over 100 cases, and its definitely getting worse.

I have theories about this.

Firstly, scammers and chancers know how to exploit it, knowing that a proportion of people will not bother with sorting it out.  I mean, for a £10 item, is it worth your time and effort?  Because these people tend to sell lots of items, they have multiple accounts, so if one starts getting too much bad feedback, they can either abandon it, or sell stuff below cost for a month to get the recent feedback back up to snuf.  Sellers know that a proportion of buyers are as thick as 2 short planks, and are gullible.

Secondly, we have our millennials now selling stuff. Obviously life owes them, so why should they rush to remove a part from their broken car and post it when Call of Duty calls.

Thirdly, we now have a lot of far east sellers who claim that the item is in the UK, so it appears in UK only searches, but reading the description, delivery may be up to 4 weeks (no matter what the estimated time is)…   ...and when it does arrive, it has a customs label on it.

Lastly, we have the back bedroom companies claiming stuff is in stock, but in reality they are just drop shippers.  To me, these are a huge problem, as ebay is never my first port of call for new items for cost and warranty issues, so I tend to only buy new stuff from there if its not available elsewhere.  I've even contacted sellers to check they actually have the item, and order it when they confirm. When I chase non delivery, they then claim its not in stock. Grrrr.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 23 November 2019, 11:18:34 »

I agree  :o

but still think Ebay is a good tool to have in the box
along with a decent independent motor factors

some bits for things are not available from shops or factors

I opened a ebay case this week
ordered 2 GB sodimm for that HP mini ,first class post
monday the memory was still not here (so about 10 days late) so I opened a case and ordered from another seller
the next day ,both lots turned up  ;D
the first seller sent recorded ,not posted till monday  ::)
it's not worth me returning it,he has proof it was delivered, but i have proof it was 10 days late .
i'll take my time closing the case ,as he did posting  ;D
now i have 2 spare 2GB sticks  of DDR3-10600 that won't fit anything in the hoard

also ordered replacement handbrake return springs ,came the next day  :)
it was easier that looking for the ones i have in stock  :-X ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 24 November 2019, 08:57:38 »

but still think Ebay is a good tool to have in the box
It is, hence I still use it a fair bit.

Ideal for 2nd hand car spares - though by the nature, these are normally needed straight away, and millennial sellers won't bother removing until the next Fortnite era has ended. Plus the more scummy "breakers" who list stuff for your car, when it turns up, its not.

Also good for niche things. And 20p micro usb cables and the like if not in a hurry.

ordered 2 GB sodimm for that HP mini ,first class post
I pretty much have certain red lines about what I will and will not order from egay, even if that is the only place available.  Any computer parts (but no branded complete computers) fit this, because we know that the dim witted amongst us genuinely believe that they can finger stuff to their hearts content without ESD. And most stuff will have been well and truly fingered.  Invariably, the mainstream box shifters are cheaper*, and warranty issues easier to sort.

*I've said before, that I used to list stuff on egay that I didn't have, but checking daily stock levels of my then supplier Bluepoint. When someone bought/won it, I'd walk up to Bluepoint at lunchtime, pick it up, get back to the office, package, and send one of the lovely secretaries** we had to the Postoffice.  Fast service guaranteed 100% positive feedback, warranty issues were easy, due to a proper trade account with bp, and mark up normally around 100% because ebay buyers are generally stupid/lazy.

**Used to get them to do a full fry up in the kitchenette area at least weekly. Lovely ladies.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 24 November 2019, 08:59:46 »

And 20p micro usb cables and the like if not in a hurry.
Obviously, these are sold at a loss, to get feedback back up to scratch.  So I tend not to leave feedback on these...  ...accepting I will get none back in return.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 24 November 2019, 13:53:09 »

both sellers stated "posted in anti static,first class" both did ,but the second one remembered to post it that day ,not 10 days later  ;D
I've got about 2000+ positive feedback (100%) over 2 ebay accounts going back to 2001
not that everyone leaves feedback  ::)
as a buyer,I feel very well protected
as a seller ,not so much  ;D so I CBA

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 24 November 2019, 14:34:08 »

as a buyer,I feel very well protected
Buyers are :)

But its the hassle involved, and the fact the crap sellers have your cash for a month.  Not to mention the costs involved in packaging stuff safely to return, and the costs of getting it to the postoffice (about a 10 mile round trip for me, which equates to about £3 in fuel/car expenses).  I can't get to the one in town in a lunchtime (no daytime parking in town, due to all the new estate builders, HS2 pikeys and town centre residents, so its about 2.5m round walk, which takes me well over the 20mins or so I give myself on the break occasions I have a lunch break), or after work.  And I aint queuing up for over an hour on a Saturday morning.

And dealing with idiots.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.