Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting auto dipping mirror by Hillper  (Read 9443 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Fitting auto dipping mirror by Hillper
« on: 12 September 2006, 20:22:32 »

Another great guide from Hillper...

This is a guide for installing the mirror using it's tint function only.
Applies to facelift.  I believe the mirrors are the same electrically, but the facelift has a different mount.  (Thanks Tunnie).

The mirror can still be adjusted easily by hand.

I bought mine S/Hand from www.Leavalleymotors.co.uk  (About £40).

The battery should always be disconnected before carrying out any electrical  work.

If the tint only function is needed, you don't need a long length of loom with the mirror, just the wires immediatetly exiting it.  (Can be snipped from donor car easily).

Remove old mirror by knocking the base downwards as though sliding the mirror down the inside of the windscreen.  You can see how it fits by inspecting the new mirror.
You'll need to hold it with one hand and thump your hand with the other.  It's quite stiff.  

The tinting mirror and car loom wire colours seem to vary, so the best thing to do is pop the back off the mirror and inspect the innards.

The control board is on the left, the motors are in the centre.

For tint only, you need to connect IGN (Blue/Grey) to a switched 12v supply and GND (Brown) to 0V.
You can connect REV (Pink/Purple) to the reversing lights circuit to disable tinting in reverse, is you wish.

The wires are fed to a socket in the mirror mount.

The socket has 11 pins and one blank.  (Blank is Pin1, bottom right.  Pin6 is bottom left)

IGN (Blue/Grey) is pin2, next to blank.
GND (Brown) is pin5.
REV (Pink/Purple) is pin3.

As I didn't have the plug to fit the mount socket, I had to find a way to connect to the socket pins.
Hopefully, your mirror should come with a socket on a long length of cable or bare wires exiting the mirror.

I found that a computer motherboard connector fitted on the pins exactly.  (Better than snipping and soldering wires in the mount).

Here it is, dangling from the exit hole in the headlining, where the mirror fits.  Coincidently, it's wires were red and black.

The two ends of the wires were connected to the wires of a plug I found under the headlining.  (Sunroof.  Unused in my case).

Here is the other end of the red and black wires where they are attached to the plug.

In the sunroof plug, Brown is 0V and Black is Ign 12v.  They are placed on opposite diagonal corners of the plug.
Strip back a little of the insulation and solder the mirror wires to the exposed conductors.
Insulate with tape.

Re-assemble and it should work.  Slide the mirror upwards toward the headlining until it locates.

You'll notice that there are two light sensors.  On the front and back of the mirror.
The unit knows if it's night as both sensors read low.  Now if the sensor on the mirror face suddenly receives a burst of light from a following car's lights, it compares it with the other sensor's output and if there is a big difference, dims the mirror.  
It isn't affected by cars coming towards you as the sensors have narrow field of view lenses.

The tinting is fast to actuate and clear.

A very useful addition.

« Last Edit: 24 July 2007, 14:32:04 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Addition to the Autodip Maintenence Guide
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2010, 22:06:01 »

[size=16]For Elite mirrors:[/size]

Bare minimum required:
12v with ign on
0v

This will give auto dimming function - when it is dark outside, and light shines on the sensor on the mirror, it will dim.

Optional connections:
Reversing Lights - Undims in reverse
Courtesy Light - Undims when courtesy light is on
« Last Edit: 04 August 2010, 18:38:31 by jimbob »
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.