Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Vectra coolant leak from coolant pipe  (Read 11826 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Vectra coolant leak from coolant pipe
« Reply #75 on: 27 March 2020, 21:13:01 »

My trouble is SWMBO must be obeyed. Thanks to all for sympathy.
My original plan was black sealant and the plastic clip. A new pipe would be ideal, challenge is getting one without going out. e-bay would be ideal.

Above looks too long.
Hard to photograph. Pipe leaves thermostat holder right of plug cover, and joins the throttle above the yellow oil filler.
Yes, I know I am making a meal of this job, never mind, the original leak looks cured now, and I have bought a better car since this problem began. Car under repair is a 2008 Astra 1.8 petrol manual hatchback, part needed is the pipe from throttle to thermostat holder, new clip as well. I have a spare thermostat holder, though I cannot see why I should change it at the moment.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 27 March 2020, 21:33:58 »

There's always e-bay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VAUXHALL-ASTRA-ZAFIRA-ETC-1-8-THERMOSTAT-TO-THROTTLE-BODY-HOSE-25192905/302375120017?epid=2229510200&hash=item4666f62c91:g:v3AAAOSwgv5ZXftJ
This looks a bit long. My donor Astra1.6 looks different too.
It's the wrong part for a different engine ::)

Your car definitely won't have the A18xe/B18xe engine.

You need to change the housing too as the broken part was part of it. Absolutely zero point trying to save effort by not replacing related brittle plastic parts... Just ask any BMW owner.

Also, like the Astra, it's not rocket science...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27 March 2020, 22:20:20 »

Thanks again for all the advice. I have three sons, one local, one at Chippenham, one in London. All have offered to help, so Jonny from Chippenham is coming tomorrow, to stock us up for a three week siege. The world has gone mad..
I have in stock Loctite SI5980 black silicone 250 degrees intermittent, Loctite SI5990 copper silicone 250 degrees  350 intermittent, and Vx black compound glueing sealant. I also have several epoxy twin pack adhesives, and domestic plumbing sealer.I reckon any of these would do the job, with the plastic clip to hold thing together. I am nervous of the epoxy adhesives, I have known them soften under heat, though max temp will be about 110degrees in this application.
 Please advise.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27 March 2020, 22:50:19 »

There's always e-bay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VAUXHALL-ASTRA-ZAFIRA-ETC-1-8-THERMOSTAT-TO-THROTTLE-BODY-HOSE-25192905/302375120017?epid=2229510200&hash=item4666f62c91:g:v3AAAOSwgv5ZXftJ
This looks a bit long. My donor Astra1.6 looks different too.
It's the wrong part for a different engine ::)

Your car definitely won't have the A18xe/B18xe engine.

You need to change the housing too as the broken part was part of it.Why is the Absolutely zero point trying to save effort by not replacing related brittle plastic parts... Just ask any BMW owner.

Also, like the Astra, it's not rocket science...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

;)
Why is the housing faulty, Doc?
Thsi whole pantomime began as a change of thermostat and housing to cure water leak ready for the MOT test, due April 14th, but now postponed till October.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 28 March 2020, 02:57:33 »

Firstly, good luck buying three days of anything, let alone three weeks...  :o

Glueing temperature degraded second hand broken plastic together won't work without some serious preparation. By which time you will be better off replacing with new. And even if you do bodge it together it won't hold for long. It broke in the first place because it's a weak spot.

Also, if that obviously broken piece isn't attached to the spigot, then it's in the housing, and it broke in there for a reason.

No offence, but you're old enough and bright enough to know better ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 28 March 2020, 10:23:25 »

Firstly, good luck buying three days of anything, let alone three weeks...  :o

Glueing temperature degraded second hand broken plastic together won't work without some serious preparation. By which time you will be better off replacing with new. And even if you do bodge it together it won't hold for long. It broke in the first place because it's a weak spot.

Also, if that obviously broken piece isn't attached to the spigot, then it's in the housing, and it broke in there for a reason.

Right again, Doc. Here it is.

Now all is clear. Like the Omega thermostat, the 'O'ring is in the pipe, easy to pop in on assembly, but harder to remove 10 years later. I changed the thermostat holder recently, struggled to remove the pipe, suddenly got it off, but being plastic it had broken.
Cure is now obvious, new pipe. As you said. I wonder if any dealer delivers?

On a happier note, last night SWMBO sent Jonny a list of groceries required. This morning 9am he turned up in his 175K mile Astra with them all, purchased today at Sainsburys Chippenham and Tesco Midsomer Norton. What a hero!

STEMO

« Reply #81 on: 28 March 2020, 10:34:32 »

That's progress  :y
With son, not with car  ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 28 March 2020, 10:48:43 »

Jonny told us that Tesco now has queues outside, 2 metres apart, only admit customers as others leave, and a one way system inside. Good for them.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 28 March 2020, 12:00:47 »

All of that.

Plus, sealant isn't intended to join parts, you need an adhesive. Two part epoxy is the thing, but you'll probably want to pick one based on its specifications rather than pretty packaging in Poundland.

Gluing broken 12 year-old plastic coolant parts together is a will it last long enough to get a new part measure.

STEMO

« Reply #84 on: 28 March 2020, 12:59:15 »

Jonny told us that Tesco now has queues outside, 2 metres apart, only admit customers as others leave, and a one way system inside. Good for them.
Yes, it's working well at most supermarkets around here. People with trolleys, 2 metres apart......standing in the sunshine. It's gonna rain next week  ::)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 28 March 2020, 13:16:05 »

Yes, it's working well at most supermarkets around here. People with trolleys, 2 metres apart......standing in the sunshine. It's gonna rain next week  ::)
indeed , people could catch a cold or flu
stock up on tissue & bog roll this week ,just in case you do  :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 28 March 2020, 13:24:32 »

Well the turn in the weather should now stop the idiots going out to "mingle"

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 28 March 2020, 13:34:55 »

Well the turn in the weather should now stop the idiots going out to "mingle"
you can't cure stupid
some will still be out  :(

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 28 March 2020, 13:44:50 »

I expect so

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 01 April 2020, 12:34:17 »

All of that.

Plus, sealant isn't intended to join parts, you need an adhesive. Two part epoxy is the thing, but you'll probably want to pick one based on its specifications rather than pretty packaging in Poundland.

Gluing broken 12 year-old plastic coolant parts together is a will it last long enough to get a new part measure.
Thanks to all for advice. My two local main dealers who stock and might deliver spares, Drive Vauxhall Bristol and Platinum Vauxhall Trowbridge, are closed until further notice. Is there any online way of buying that pipe?

I don't need the car at the moment, as my Omega MOT has been extended for 6 months. Coronavirus patients over 60 are not put on ventilators, and over 75s are not even admitted to hospital, so my obvious course is to SORN the car and forget it.

I managed to remove the end of that pipe stuck in the thermostat housing, found no 'O' ring on it, puzzling. I now have nothing to lose attempting an epoxy repair, it might last longer than I do.

You recommend thoroughly cleaning both parts with carb cleaner or brake cleaner, I find I have both. Should I roughen both surfaces to give better keying of the adhesive? I find I have Araldite Standard (ultra strong), Araldite Rapid (5 minutes), and Ever Build Stick 2 Rapid Epoxy Syringe Adhesive. Obvious choice is the Standard. Please advise.

As I type this SWMBO is crawling round the floor playing with grandson, his father is upstairs running his online business and his mother is in hospital having an infusion for her colitis. Surreal, ain't it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.