Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Darwin at work  (Read 2673 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Darwin at work
« on: 11 December 2017, 21:53:38 »

Make a video for your followers by hanging off the edge of a 62 story building doing pull-ups. What could possibly go wrong? :o :o :o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5166849/Chinese-rooftopper-unwittingly-films-death.html

He intended to use the money from the video to buy a proposal gift for his girlfriend.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

Re: Darwin at work
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2017, 21:59:04 »

You can almost feel the moment that panic set in. He must have known what was coming.....

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2017, 22:02:28 »

I just feel sorry for the poor sods who had to clean him up.

And anyone he landed on.

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2017, 09:43:59 »

I don't understand adrenaline junkies - at least not those who take risks like that.. I guess you could say that aerobatic flying is also about being an adrenaline junkie but (surely) somewhat less risky.

Darwin at work but it always makes me wonder what on earth has become of society..

..then the video rolled from that to the footage of the (US?) cop mowing down a guy who was crawling down a hotel corridor with a barrage of semi automatic fire.. and I really wondered what has become of society.

(The next video was a couple having sex.. while driving..  ::))

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2017, 11:34:34 »

I don't understand adrenaline junkies - at least not those who take risks like that.. I guess you could say that aerobatic flying is also about being an adrenaline junkie but (surely) somewhat less risky.

For an occasional passenger maybe but that soon wears off once you are accustomed to the G forces and know what's coming. For most the motivation is the challenge of achieving the accuracy required to make aerobatic displays look good. It's also comforting to know that you can recover control of the aircraft from odd attitudes without panicking.

I wouldn't say it's deliberately putting yourself in a hazardous position in the same way. You are flying to extremes of the aircraft's flight envelope that you wouldn't normally, but you're remaining well inside it nevertheless and you'll be starting with simple, easy things and working your way up to more challenging stuff as you gain experience, not flinging yourself off the edge of a building and thinking "oh, break!".

Doing it at low level is another story perhaps.... but, you won't end up doing so without lots of practice up high where you can afford to make mistakes.

Totally different to the daftness on display in this video, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2017, 11:54:24 »

I can understand that, Kevin; to a lesser extent, that's how I felt about motorcycling, back when I used to ride.  :y 8)

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2017, 12:00:01 »

I didn't want to watch it, but did anyway out of morbid curiosity.  ::)

I'd probably go along to a public hanging for much the same reason!  :-\   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2017, 12:17:25 »

:o That was definitely an "oh s**t" moment  :o 

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2017, 12:26:44 »

For an occasional passenger maybe but that soon wears off once you are accustomed to the G forces and know what's coming. For most the motivation is the challenge of achieving the accuracy required to make aerobatic displays look good. It's also comforting to know that you can recover control of the aircraft from odd attitudes without panicking.

I wouldn't say it's deliberately putting yourself in a hazardous position in the same way. You are flying to extremes of the aircraft's flight envelope that you wouldn't normally, but you're remaining well inside it nevertheless and you'll be starting with simple, easy things and working your way up to more challenging stuff as you gain experience, not flinging yourself off the edge of a building and thinking "oh, break!".

Doing it at low level is another story perhaps.... but, you won't end up doing so without lots of practice up high where you can afford to make mistakes.

I think that's what I was trying, poorly, to articulate with my "somewhat less risky" - I hadn't thought about the adrenaline wearing off, though, that's a fair point.

Maybe it doesn't wear off only with sufficient amounts - like those wing-suit guys (who occasionally also go splat) ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2017, 12:45:26 »

That is going to sting for a while.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 December 2017, 13:44:42 »

I think that's what I was trying, poorly, to articulate with my "somewhat less risky" - I hadn't thought about the adrenaline wearing off, though, that's a fair point.

Maybe it doesn't wear off only with sufficient amounts - like those wing-suit guys (who occasionally also go splat) ::)

Yes, doing something inherently stupid, that you know is going to kill you sooner or later, rather than something just mildly more exciting than everyday life, is bound to get the adrenaline running every time. Running down your inside leg, in all likelihood. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2017, 13:50:34 »

Yes, doing something inherently stupid, that you know is going to kill you sooner or later, rather than something just mildly more exciting than everyday life, is bound to get the adrenaline running every time. Running down your inside leg, in all likelihood. ;)

Brown or yellow adrenaline? ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 December 2017, 17:15:51 »

Brown or yellow adrenaline? ;D

The worst type. A mixture of the two. :D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2017, 17:43:44 »

We can all find fault in someone apparently doing something stupid, but in this case there was another angle on this story.  Read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-42308791

So it turns out he did this type of daredevil activity all the time, but in this case he was being sponsored and he was going to use the money to pay for medical treatment for his ailing mother, along with a proposal gift for his girlfriend. Now also consider that many tens of thousands go mountaineering up some of the most dangerous mountains in the World.  Some even do that without any ropes, harnesses, or even spikes, but just by using their fingertips, and all just for fun!!. Then there are steeplejacks who, yes earn money from what they do, but daily climb great heights to go on the sides or tops of man made structures.  Think of one of my heroes from the past, Fred Dibnah, who would be seen climbing great chimneys, with the next ladder on his back, without any safety harnesses.  As a reminder of what he did (and this was when he was already 50 years of age) view this film (remember the ladders would have already been tied to the chimney by Fred, once again without any safety aids):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3-YwDZrzg

Now thousands never said he had a "Darwin" angle to his endevours; we just thought he was a wonderful, amusing and very clever brave man who loved what he did.

So before any of us criticize the Chinese lad at the start of this thread, think about the fact tens of thousands do dangerous things daily, and in this case for his dear mother.  In my book, nothing wrong in that.  Just very sad in this instance he got what he normally does so wrong. :'(   
« Last Edit: 13 December 2017, 17:48:06 by Lizzie Zoom »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2017, 18:17:36 »

Thanks for the balancing view, Lizzie - no pun intended. I'm not pointing a finger at anyone, but it is SO easy to look at things from only one side, expecially by sensation-making journalists, but things a re rarely black and white, are they?

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.