Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Both wipers very slow  (Read 8963 times)

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
Both wipers very slow
« on: 20 July 2018, 20:18:18 »

Even on high speed, they are terribly slow. Let alone, trying to use screen wash. Any ideas?

worzelof10acrefield

• Peterborough
  • Don't snort coke......You might drown
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 Est
    • View Profile
Re: Both wipers very slow
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2018, 20:35:15 »

Maybe the first thing i would do is lubricate the arms.  when i did my heat exchanger valve i was very surprised to find how dry they were.
good place to start before thinking of the motor which in the past i have lubricated many and found they worked much better as the manufacturer does not want them to last so do not offer much lubrication from new.
Hope this helps..
It's 106 Miles to Chicago, We've got a full tank of gas, Half a pack of cigarettes, It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses........HIT IT..

Don't snort coke......You might drown

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2018, 22:21:25 »

Maybe the first thing i would do is lubricate the arms.  when i did my heat exchanger valve i was very surprised to find how dry they were.
good place to start before thinking of the motor which in the past i have lubricated many and found they worked much better as the manufacturer does not want them to last so do not offer much lubrication from new.
Hope this helps..

What should I use to lubricate the arms? Regarding the motors, I assume you would have to remove the wiper mechanism from the car to lubricate the motors?

worzelof10acrefield

• Peterborough
  • Don't snort coke......You might drown
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2018, 22:31:27 »

hi. you have ball joints on the end of the arms that see nothing but rubbish from the road. good greasing with spray grease is good. th motor will need a strip down though.
you need to remove the wiper arms and then the plastic panel underneath. 2-3 torques bit screws. place on n/s due to washer pipe.
4 x 8 mm bolts and an electrical connection(easily removed) and it will need a bit of tenderness towards the o/s to pull off the pin(you will see it at the back of the motor on a rubber) and then will come free.. easier than it sounds. then strip and lubricate.
Very easy to do. sounds harder than it is. I did mine when i changed the heater control valve. did the valve and the wiper system in under 3 hours....
It's 106 Miles to Chicago, We've got a full tank of gas, Half a pack of cigarettes, It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses........HIT IT..

Don't snort coke......You might drown

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2018, 14:21:03 »

hi. you have ball joints on the end of the arms that see nothing but rubbish from the road. good greasing with spray grease is good. th motor will need a strip down though.
you need to remove the wiper arms and then the plastic panel underneath. 2-3 torques bit screws. place on n/s due to washer pipe.
4 x 8 mm bolts and an electrical connection(easily removed) and it will need a bit of tenderness towards the o/s to pull off the pin(you will see it at the back of the motor on a rubber) and then will come free.. easier than it sounds. then strip and lubricate.
Very easy to do. sounds harder than it is. I did mine when i changed the heater control valve. did the valve and the wiper system in under 3 hours....

Passenger motor had failed, got a used one of eBay for MOT, back in February. It has always been slower & noisier than the original drivers motor. That probably did need the motor lubricated before it was fitted. Don’t understand why the drivers motor has slowed too the speed of the passenger one?

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2018, 14:45:47 »

Hi. Am i reading this correctly or are you talking about the windscreen wipers ?
Motors ???

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2018, 12:33:30 »

There is only one isn't there?

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2018, 12:35:12 »

I am trying to imagine wipers going at different speeds what a tangle.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2018, 13:47:18 »

The front wiper motor is multi speed ,low geared ,high torque
(very strong ,like a starter or electric window motor)
I'd check voltage,make sure it has a good earth etc
check the relay
lubricate the linkages ,yes ,
 but i suspect the motor is not getting full power (live =12v+ and earth =ground= negative 12v )or internal winding fault
sticking linkages and mechanisms can shear ,strip cogs etc because a good motor with good power supply is very strong

mandula

• Finland
    • Opel Omega -03, Z22XE man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2018, 07:32:17 »

I had similar problem. Wipers were very slow and hardly got back to start position. Eventually wiper stopped working completely.

I removed wiper assembly and noticed that centermost wiper shaft was stuck in its frame. I had to use heat and hammer to get it out.

Used some sandpaper to remove rust/oxidation (shaft was steel and frame some aluminium alloy), cleaned all moving parts and lubricated and replaced two O-rings at shaft ends.
I used general lubrication grease that is used in working machines etc.. Spray grease wont last long IMO.

Now wipers move faster than I have ever seen.

Took about 1.5 hours, never done it before and removing stuck shaft (without breaking it) was hardest part. Worth to take it apart and inspect.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2018, 07:37:14 by mandula »

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2018, 17:50:58 »

The thing confusing me about this thread is the talk of passenger and driver motors. And saying that one side has now slowed down the same as the other. As we know there is only one motor and linkages to the two shafts.
If we are definately talking windscreen wipers then yes ,lubricate the output spindles(circlip off ,o ring out and oil the shaft/bore).        Lubricate the main linkage balljoints .   
If this doesnt sort it. Check motor for voltage and remove if voltage found to be ok.
Either replace motor or open yours up (motor /magnet section ) and check brushes for length ,spring tension and freedom of movement. Clean commutator with fine emery ,ligthly oil end bearing and reassemble and test. (Blimey the times ive wrote that on job sheets !)

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2018, 23:37:59 »

I assumed that both wipers, have their own motors? What I was saying, my passenger wiper linkage broke, so the wiper wouldn’t move. The drivers wiper & motor were fine, so I could still drive it. Had to get a replacement wiper assembly including motor for the MOT. Since it was fitted, the replacement has been noisy, you can hear the motor/rods going in & out. The original drivers wiper/motor has been slower ever since the passenger wiper assembly was changed. Now both wipers are unusable.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2018, 08:42:22 »

Hi .this still doesn’t really make any sence so I would advise just replacing the whole unit (motor and linkage assembly) for a known good unit .

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2018, 11:45:33 »

I assumed that both wipers, have their own motors? What I was saying, my passenger wiper linkage broke, so the wiper wouldn’t move. The drivers wiper & motor were fine, so I could still drive it. Had to get a replacement wiper assembly including motor for the MOT. Since it was fitted, the replacement has been noisy, you can hear the motor/rods going in & out. The original drivers wiper/motor has been slower ever since the passenger wiper assembly was changed. Now both wipers are unusable.

One motor drives both wipers.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2018, 11:51:12 »

Hi .this still doesn’t really make any sence so I would advise just replacing the whole unit (motor and linkage assembly) for a known good unit .

+1   :y
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.