Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New to this Omega lark...  (Read 6885 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: New to this Omega lark...
« Reply #15 on: 18 June 2016, 22:51:11 »

Clean the breathers (details in maintenance guides), check cambelt history (40k miles or 4 years) change oil, oil filter air filter, check the usual stuff you would check on any car.  :y
If rear door speakers are duff,a pair can be picked up for around £20, but check wiring first.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 June 2016, 23:07:06 »

Thank you, it is lovely and clean, rear arches could be better and front bumper is scuffed but not too bad, already got a set of interior bits coming from the bay, not sure what colour to wrap them in yet...

Thank you for the tips, I need to try and check cambelt history, I would guess from cleanliness it's been done but have far from full history for it. When i can be bothered to resize the pictures ill post the rest of them

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 June 2016, 11:00:55 »

the cam belt is behind the cover on the front of the engine and is not visable to the eye unless you remove the cover, the belt that you can see is the aux belt.
if no cam belt history you can find then get it changed with the rollers asap, its the rollers that are more likely to fail than the belt, but just fit the compleat kit to be safe, by the way take it to someone who has the correct locking kit to do it properly or get someone on here to do it for you.
, that way you will have some piece of mind that is was done properly
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 June 2016, 17:10:13 »

Just to emphasise what has been said on cambelt, it will need the full kit, not just the belt.

If any garage says it can be done without the locking kit, don't use that garage. Those individuals who claim it is possible to get right without a locking kit do not understand the concept.
Grumpy old man

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 June 2016, 17:21:50 »

Who can tell me what I need to know about my new purchase?

It's a 2000 GLS 2.5 V6 manual (are manuals rare, I thought they were but now not so sure?) in a nice green? I believe it's a mini facelift?

Here is my Mini Face Lift  :y  Similar Green  :y  and a 2.5 V6 CDX, Manual as well  :y :y  2000 V plate, so similar vintage  ;D

Here is the interior so you can compare MFL to your FL  :y  They are more "Rounder and Curvy" inside than the FL's (my dad has a FL Desmond - Auto ;D

Jazzyj123

• Hemel Hempstead
    • Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 June 2016, 20:30:02 »

It's a 2000 GLS 2.5 V6 manual (are manuals rare, I thought they were but now not so sure?) in a nice green? I believe it's a mini facelift?

Here is my Mini Face Lift  :y  Similar Green  :y  and a 2.5 V6 CDX, Manual as well  :y :y  2000 V plate, so similar vintage  ;D

Here is the interior so you can compare MFL to your FL  :y  They are more "Rounder and Curvy" inside than the FL's (my dad has a FL Desmond - Auto ;D

Tbh I think I prefer the mini facelift. The full facelift is nice but the mini is somehow more suave and smooth.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 June 2016, 23:29:01 »

Tbh I think I prefer the mini facelift. The full facelift is nice but the mini is somehow more suave and smooth.

I couldn't possibly comment  :D but welcome to the club.   I have had my MFL from new so I maybe biased  ;D

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 June 2016, 14:28:24 »

Thank you for the education, its appreciated  :y
my new interior trim arrived today, think I might fit it and wrap the original black if it's in better condition then replace the boot open button as it's worn and replace the climate control buttons at the same time - where do I get new buttons from, Forkes Hall?  ;)

Gonna go and resize those pics now as took 1 interior and 2 engine bay pics  :)

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2016, 21:57:52 »

So photobucket was pissing me off - can I say pissing on here? So haven't resized but I thought these were worth seeing full size...

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2016, 23:44:03 »

nice clean engine bay mate, how it should be. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 July 2016, 08:27:31 »

Yeah it's got other ideas though, I believe the rocker cover has now started leaking as there is oil dribbling onto the radiator metal pipe that runs past the right bank towards the firewall and also noticed today one of the 4 pipes just behind the eco tec cover is perishing and coming apart where it pushes on and also found an unused plug by the NS suspension top  8)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 July 2016, 09:22:13 »

Yeah it's got other ideas though, I believe the rocker cover has now started leaking as there is oil dribbling onto the radiator metal pipe that runs past the right bank towards the firewall and also noticed today one of the 4 pipes just behind the eco tec cover is perishing and coming apart where it pushes on and also found an unused plug by the NS suspension top  8)

A common problem brought on by blocked breathers but not too bad to sort out. Have a look in the maintenance guide section.

Looks well cared-for under the bonnet. Coolant expansion tank looks a little manky, so might be worth changing the coolant ASAP, as poor coolant can cause head gasket failure and also oil cooler failures.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 July 2016, 18:43:18 »

Could the unused plug near suspension top be for underbonnet alarm switch? I can't see the switch but my eyesight ain't what it was ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 July 2016, 19:18:16 »

looking at your pics I think someone has put ''CD'' spec wheels on. always thought the ''GLS'' had those God awful 7 or 8 spoke rims?  :-\

and as a tyre fitter I can no longer stand to see tap-on wheel weights on alloy wheels  >:(

that coolant tank looks a bit grim. as KW said id get nice fresh red coolant in there asap.

finally, re the oil leak. cam cover gaskets need doing and breathers cleaning.....something im doing as we speak  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

McBandy

• Havant
    • GLS 2.5 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 July 2016, 09:08:55 »

looking at your pics I think someone has put ''CD'' spec wheels on. always thought the ''GLS'' had those God awful 7 or 8 spoke rims?  :-\

and as a tyre fitter I can no longer stand to see tap-on wheel weights on alloy wheels  >:(

that coolant tank looks a bit grim. as KW said id get nice fresh red coolant in there asap.

finally, re the oil leak. cam cover gaskets need doing and breathers cleaning.....something im doing as we speak  ::)
Don't know but I agree they are god awful, dont know if mine are correct though?! I also hate bang on weights on alloys, no excuse, just had one tyre replaced and that wheel is now free of the ugly things! Never noticed the coolant tank, you can see through it though, I think the picture makes it look worse.

The loose plug is the blue bit top right of the picture/bay
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.