Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Original Tyres  (Read 7584 times)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Original Tyres
« Reply #30 on: 28 July 2016, 10:02:08 »

So who is going to ask TB what is his record for yards covered on a set of new tyres?  :)
Best was 12000 (on driven wheels), consistently from Dunlop SP9000 and Sport Maxx TT's

Worse was 3000 from those shitty Continental SC5s, driving sensibly.

4k from Avon ZZ3s. Poor tyre, but such a hoot on my chipped tractor.

I would say we had stonkingly good mileage from some 2nd hand Nexen N6000s I got from RobG ages ago (they came with the wheels).  The threads finally poked through earlier this year. That's gotta be a good 20+k from 5mm to "not quite legal" :o. Shit tyre though.

So you knacker a set of tyres in less than 3 miles ???  :)  Pretty good going I must admit .. I think even drag racers do better than that !!

Had to think about that for a few seconds.......... until I saw yards.  ;D :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 July 2016, 11:00:51 »

I think I managed to wear away about 2mm of tread down to the canvas in a fortnight when the Turbo Weasel got knackered front wishbones. If they were brand new tyres, doing the maths, that might equate to about 300-400 miles. Lesson of the day = check your wishbones.   :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 July 2016, 20:02:18 »

So who is going to ask TB what is his record for yards covered on a set of new tyres?  :)
Best was 12000 (on driven wheels), consistently from Dunlop SP9000 and Sport Maxx TT's

Worse was 3000 from those shitty Continental SC5s, driving sensibly.

4k from Avon ZZ3s. Poor tyre, but such a hoot on my chipped tractor.

I would say we had stonkingly good mileage from some 2nd hand Nexen N6000s I got from RobG ages ago (they came with the wheels).  The threads finally poked through earlier this year. That's gotta be a good 20+k from 5mm to "not quite legal" :o. Shit tyre though.

So you knacker a set of tyres in less than 3 miles ???  :)  Pretty good going I must admit .. I think even drag racers do better than that !!
Errrr, pedantic bugger ;D

Yes, I was talking miles :).

I'm sincerely hoping that my tyres will last a lot longer now that the local BP have finally admitted that selling fuel is an inconvenience, and hence don't any more.  So my BP temper tantrums rarely happen now...

...although on the M5 in early June, after checking the BP website to check that the services actually sold fuel, I did try some youthful impetulance in TBE upon being told by the cashier that in the 2yrs she'd worked there, they hadn't sold LPG, so I turned of TC, launch started it in the hope of showing my distain.  And the bloody thing just hankered down and took off like a scalded cat, with not a peep from the tyres :o
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 July 2016, 14:49:30 »

Oooh, just refresh my mammary... is that feet on both pedals, building up the revs to a certain point, then releasing the footbrake, yes? Is there a 'safe range' or just try and bend the needle past the redline?  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 July 2016, 14:57:29 »

Oooh, just refresh my mammary... is that feet on both pedals, building up the revs to a certain point, then releasing the footbrake, yes? Is there a 'safe range' or just try and bend the needle past the redline?  :)
Foot on brake, build revs until you get to stall point, at around 2.5-3k.  You'll know.

It does the gearbox no favours at all.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 August 2016, 15:51:16 »

Haha! Right.... so well worth giving it a try on a 20 year old AR25 with 185k+, then?  What could possibly go wrong!?  :y

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.