Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocker cover gasket  (Read 6381 times)

dave irmscher

• staffordshire
    • Omega MV6 IRMSCHER
    • View Profile
Rocker cover gasket
« on: 13 March 2014, 10:51:12 »

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, recently purchasing my first Omega............... Don't know why i didn't get one sooner !!! :D The guy i bought it off told me he had recently replaced the rocker cover gaskets but it still seems to leak slightly, leaving a small deposit of oil on the floor.

My question to you fantastic people is - Which gasket do i need & what is the sealant that i need called ???

My car is 2001 Omega 2.6 MV6 Irmscher.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Rocker cover gasket
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2014, 10:53:49 »

Our standard at the moment is to recommend genuine Vx only, with the right sealant. Our guide has all the parts listed.

We have a much cheaper one on test with a few members, but we are not sure if it's reliable.

Given it's not a fun job on V6, it's a job you want to do once!
« Last Edit: 13 March 2014, 11:04:10 by tunnie »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2014, 10:54:12 »

Welcome to the forum  :y

This should help. http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90542.0 Although OE gaskets aren't cheap, it's cheaper in the long rum ........ you only do them once.  ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2014, 10:54:32 »

GM Gaskets only, GM Black Sealant, and dont over tight (Over Torque) the Cover bolts. ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2014, 11:14:50 »

But your first job should be to clean the breathers in the mean time as that may well significantly reduce the leak

sjr47

« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2014, 11:40:31 »

Yes clean the breathers first should go hand in hand with replacing gaskets then every 12 months or so .Are you sure its the rocker cover gaskets where about is the leak collecting  ? Omega V6s have more than one place oil can leak from belive me.Check  for oil in the spark plug wells also if its pooling on floor from RCGs probably from half moon cutouts not sealed correctly .
« Last Edit: 13 March 2014, 11:42:36 by sjr47 »

dave irmscher

• staffordshire
    • Omega MV6 IRMSCHER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2014, 12:39:23 »

sjr47 - i'm not exactly sure it is the rocker cover gaskets !! I bought the car from a Romanian guy and he was telling me that he had recently replaced them, oil was pouring out on him.

It looks like they have been replaced recently as i can see they are red in colour, probably he's not donr the job properly. Where else can the engine leak from btw ????

Dave

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2014, 12:47:41 »

You can't see the gaskets once they've been fitted. The red stuff you can see will be sealant of some sort, and isn't necessary if the job is done correctly. A tiny smear in the corners is all that's needed; any more is a bodge which won't last long. I'm not convinced about the VX only gaskets, but  do agree about the following to the letter the procedure given in the guide.

dave irmscher

• staffordshire
    • Omega MV6 IRMSCHER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2014, 12:52:35 »

ok i see. I really don't have a clue to be honest as i am a new Omega owner. Probably the red i can see is as you say some sort of sealant. I will have to have a good look at the weekend. I just hope it's the rocker cover gasket and not something else ?!?!?!?!?  :-[

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2014, 13:05:06 »

You can't see the gaskets once they've been fitted. The red stuff you can see will be sealant of some sort, and isn't necessary if the job is done correctly. A tiny smear in the corners is all that's needed; any more is a bodge which won't last long. I'm not convinced about the VX only gaskets, but  do agree about the following to the letter the procedure given in the guide.
Your not gonna get away with saying that on here.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2014, 13:08:21 »

There recommended simply becasue they are the only supplier of gasket which are proven to work every time reliably.

My personal experience is that I ahev tried no name, Elring, FAI and a few others and not one has matched the Vx (with the Elring and FAI ones not lasting long at all!)  :y

Any other option is a risk which the owner can choose to take and they might get lucky.  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2014, 13:11:18 »

Maybe not, but I don't use VX oil, plugs, filters, front shocks or air in the tyres either.

sjr47

« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2014, 13:21:18 »

Just one question who manufactures these OEM  gaskets for VX , should,nt imagine the make their own ? ??? ???

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2014, 13:29:15 »

Maybe not, but I don't use VX oil, plugs, filters, front shocks or air in the tyres either.

The mans a wizard a charlatan a non believer, he should be burnt at the stake,for suggesting the use of non GM parts. :D
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2014, 13:45:23 »

Maybe not, but I don't use VX oil, plugs, filters, .....

but if you have a Trade Club card & have access to a participating dealer, you'd be mad not to.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.