Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocker cover gasket  (Read 6425 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: Rocker cover gasket
« Reply #45 on: 14 March 2014, 18:07:00 »

Send a pm to Loo knee (daz)
He will have plenty lying around and is in Stoke  :)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 14 March 2014, 18:19:00 »

Im doing this lovely job tomorrow on my 2.5, I replaced all the rocker cover bolts with stainless steel allan headed bolts I got off an internet auction site for around a fiver I think ....?

I shall go to my local Vx dealers tomorrow and buy meself some gasket goo just so the jobs done belt and braces :)

Mine is leaking from the nearside rocker cover, I do get some funny looks when the engine is hot and the oil is dripping onto the exhaust and smoke is coming from under the bonnet LOL
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 March 2014, 19:44:31 »

Got home from work and had a feel around the rocker covers and it'quiet damp with oil. I also noticed that whoever did the job previously has fitted one incorrect bolt on one of the rocker covers, it has an alan key head !! Is it possible to buy replacement rocker cover bolts, the torx ones ? :'(
if they are the same as 2.5 & 3.0l i should have a bucket load here.  :D

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

omega3000

« Reply #48 on: 16 March 2014, 17:03:01 »

You can't see the gaskets once they've been fitted. The red stuff you can see will be sealant of some sort, and isn't necessary if the job is done correctly. A tiny smear in the corners is all that's needed; any more is a bodge which won't last long. I'm not convinced about the VX only gaskets, but  do agree about the following to the letter the procedure given in the guide.
Your not gonna get away with saying that on here.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maybe not, but I don't use VX oil, plugs, filters, front shocks or air in the tyres either.

The mans a wizard a charlatan a non believer, he should be burnt at the stake,for suggesting the use of non GM parts. :D

:D :D :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 16 March 2014, 18:14:45 »

You can't see the gaskets once they've been fitted. The red stuff you can see will be sealant of some sort, and isn't necessary if the job is done correctly. A tiny smear in the corners is all that's needed; any more is a bodge which won't last long. I'm not convinced about the VX only gaskets, but  do agree about the following to the letter the procedure given in the guide.
Your not gonna get away with saying that on here.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maybe not, but I don't use VX oil, plugs, filters, front shocks or air in the tyres either.

The mans a wizard a charlatan a non believer, he should be burnt at the stake,for suggesting the use of non GM parts. :D

:D :D :D

Heresy!  :o ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

cd 2.2

« Reply #50 on: 17 March 2014, 02:50:37 »

I fitted an elring one with no sealer use on my 2.2 ... nothing leaking yet, also changed those little 'o' rings at the same time. It all came as part of the head set! I know it's a different engine but as I said I have had no problems with leaks "yet"

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 17 March 2014, 03:26:00 »

I fitted an elring one with no sealer use on my 2.2 ... nothing leaking yet, also changed those little 'o' rings at the same time. It all came as part of the head set! I know it's a different engine but as I said I have had no problems with leaks "yet"

you willl be burned at the stake,and cast out,for using non GM gaskets,and some will dance on your grave.... ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

omega3000

« Reply #52 on: 17 March 2014, 11:42:09 »

;D ;D ;D

dave irmscher

• staffordshire
    • Omega MV6 IRMSCHER
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 17 March 2014, 14:26:29 »

Well, i took the plenum off yesterday to have a good look around as i have ordered replacement gaskest online so i aint going to take the rocker covers off until this weekend once my gaskets arrive.

to be honest i'm not looking forward to doing the job, it looks very daunting !!  :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 17 March 2014, 14:43:38 »

to be honest i'm not looking forward to doing the job, it looks very daunting !!  :-X

It's not difficult, just a bit fiddly though, especially the passenger side due to access.

cd 2.2

« Reply #55 on: 17 March 2014, 14:47:36 »

you willl be burned at the stake,and cast out,for using non GM gaskets,and some will dance on your grave.... ;D

:D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 17 March 2014, 20:10:03 »

The question people need to ask is.

1) Should we advise a part which is known to work

or

2) Should we advise to use a part which we have seen failures on and for which there is not yet a known supplier that works as well as the genuine item reliably.

As stated, you can take a chance on alternatives, but you wont see me recommending them as there very hit and miss

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 17 March 2014, 20:47:00 »

or

2) Should we advise to use a part which we have seen failures on and for which there is not yet a known supplier that works as well as the genuine item reliably.

As stated, you can take a chance on alternatives, but you wont see me recommending them as there very hit and miss
Yes.
i would only use gen tbh.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 17 March 2014, 21:25:56 »

or

Sadly I found stating similar logic here, falls on deaf ears to some. Who think we suggest geniune just for the fun/cost/snob factor

:(

cd 2.2

« Reply #59 on: 17 March 2014, 21:33:46 »

I would have loved to have fitted gen parts to my mig when I did the head gasket and top end rebuild ... But VX quoted a price that was far too expensive to warrant repair! Turns out that allot of the gaskets removed bore the same markings as the Elring ones, leading me to believe that maybe they are the gaskets that are fitted to the engines when built?? I may be wildly inaccurate though (usually turns out to be the case lol)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.