Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Filter Comparison Study  (Read 4628 times)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
Oil Filter Comparison Study
« on: 16 July 2015, 17:14:55 »

fram comes top (well their Xtended Guard one does) http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

P/N    Make    Model    30um Filtering (wt 5)    Overall Build Quality (wt 5)    Media Surface Area (wt 1)    Media Volume (wt 1)    Price Paid (USD) (wt1.5)    Final Grade
PF1218    ACDelco    n/a    F    F    B    A-    B-    0.80
EaO24    Amsoil    n/a    A    A-    D+    D    F    3.02
B1428    Baldwin    n/a    D    B-    B-    A-    D+    1.99
3510    Bosch    n/a    C    B-    A-    B-    C    2.44
B4361    Carquest    n/a    D    C+    C+    C    A    1.99
LF3679    Fleetguard    n/a    C    D+    D+    D+    B    1.75
DL5    Fram    Defense    C    C-    C-    C-    A    2.07
DG5    Fram    Double Guard    C+    C-    C-    C-    D    1.84
HM5    Fram    High Mileage    B-    D    D    C-    C    1.53
PH5    Fram    Extraguard    D+    D    C-    C+    B    2.00
TG5    Fram    Toughguard    C-    C    C+    B-    C-    1.93
HP4    Fram    Racing    C-    C+    A    B-    D    2.09
XG5    Fram    Xtended Guard    A-    A    C    A    C-    3.49
OPH1218    Full    n/a    D    C+    A    C    C    1.89
HP-3002    K&N    n/a    B    A-    B+    A    F    3.02
PH1218    Luberfiner    n/a    C-    C+    C    C    B-    2.08
ML1011    Mann    n/a    B-    C-    A    B    C    2.37
MGL9100    Microgard    n/a    B-    D    D    D+    B-    1.84
M1-302    Mobil 1    n/a    B    A    A-    A    D    3.27
FL12A    Motorcraft    n/a    D+    C-    B    C+    D+    1.65
21060    Napa    Proselect    C+    B+    B-    C    A    2.87
1060    Napa    Gold    C+    A-    B-    C+    C    2.81
PG4631    Premium guard    n/a    D+    B+    C    D    A-    2.34
PPL34631    Proline    n/a    D    C-    F    D    A-    1.49
PO4011    Pronto    n/a    C+    C    N/A    N/A    A    2.04
L34631    Purolator    Classic    B    B-    C+    D+    B+    2.74
PL34631    Purolator    Pure-one    C-    B+    A-    B+    C+    2.63
30-1218    Royal Purple    n/a    A    A    C-    F    F    3.09
S17    Shell    n/a    F    F    F    F    A    0.44
S5    STP    n/a    F    F    B    B    B+    0.81
51060    Wix    n/a    C    A-    B+    B+    C    2.82
Grades based off general A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, F scale
A being the highest grade and F being the lowest.
Better filteration earns a higher grade, better construction earns a higher grade
lower prices earn a higher grade, higher surface area and volume earns a higher grade.
Final grade is calculated the same as a GPA based on the 4 point system
The higher the final grade, generally means a better overall filter.
Catagories are weighted by importance, calculated weights are listed in column heading
Filteration and build quality are somewhat objective so you can make your own judgments

05omegav6

Re: Oil Filter Comparison Study
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2015, 21:39:50 »

Trust you read the small print...

In summary, in 2011 Fram made the most effective oil filter for a single Chevrolet light truck spec LS1 engine, as tested on the kitchen table by a bloke called Aloicious, from the Internet ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2015, 21:44:00 »

Also them all Yankee filters.
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2015, 22:17:28 »

I was half expecting to see Fram had sponsored it... ::)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2015, 23:33:33 »

Genuine question;

What difference would any of that make to a standard road car which was maintained correctly and servicing schedules met (if not beaten)?

Surely bugger all?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2015, 23:42:59 »

So what are we to make of this Mr Mog? :-\

Along with previous posts, iirc, there seems to be a great deal of interest in oil filters.

Whyzatden? :)

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2015, 23:55:02 »

Along with previous posts, iirc, there seems to be a great deal of interest in oil filters.

The cynic in me would suspect someone works for Fram, or its parent company ::)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2015, 23:56:47 »

Has anyone on here ever cracked open a filter and seen what it, erm, catches?  I've had the paper filters and not seen anything on them, so, and this is a crazy stupid question.... why bother filtering the oil?  Surely all the heavy globules of shite are just going to drop to the sump anyway and that's what the oil pick-up strainer is for, right?  :-\

Surely if the engine is serviced well, the oil should be changed out well before it's useful days are gone!

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2015, 00:09:20 »

The idea is to trap all the particles in the oil resulting from wear and prevent them from reaching anything critical such as the cams/followers. The pump supply is filtered by the strainer, and the output side is the forced through the fine filter on its way up the block...
« Last Edit: 17 July 2015, 00:13:01 by Harris K Telemacher »

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2015, 00:38:56 »

oh dear.  maybe i'm wrong but perhaps this is why people keep leaving the forum.  i simply post a useful link comparing well known makes of oil filter.  i do not work for fram what a stoopid suggestion.  nor did the person posting the article and doing the tests. 

what i think yoiu will make of it sadly is that oof knows best and trade club filters are the only ones to use and i should shut up.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2015, 00:40:35 »

The idea is to trap all the particles in the oil resulting from wear and prevent them from reaching anything critical such as the cams/followers. The pump supply is filtered by the strainer, and the output side is the forced through the fine filter on its way up the block...

Perfcect explanation, and which I do understand, but even on the paper filter, I've not found an iota of shite.... so, with modern engines and modern oils.... is the filter really necessary?

Air filter, I get - You don't know what is around the corner (road sweeper kicking up loads of crap for example), but in a closed system, if it's properly maintained, should we require a filter?

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2015, 00:42:46 »

« Last Edit: 17 July 2015, 00:44:23 by migmog »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2015, 00:43:20 »

oh dear.  maybe i'm wrong but perhaps this is why people keep leaving the forum.  i simply post a useful link comparing well known makes of oil filter.  i do not work for fram what a stoopid suggestion.  nor did the person posting the article and doing the tests. 

what i think yoiu will make of it sadly is that oof knows best and trade club filters are the only ones to use and i should shut up.

Easy there Tiger.  You have actually prompted me to ask a reasonable (in my mind) question..... which was, are filters necessary?..... I don't see any reason why one filter is better than another.  As my experience proves, I've not seen anything other than oil on a filter.  So why is it there?!

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2015, 00:45:03 »

It was a serious question.

You may remember my posts on bad experiences with cheap filters so that may affect your reply. But, again, it was a serious question.

....if you'd care to answer? :-\ it is a forum, so seems a fair question to me. :)
« Last Edit: 17 July 2015, 00:48:17 by chrisgixer »

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2015, 00:47:30 »

Easy there Tiger.  You have actually prompted me to ask a reasonable (in my mind) question..... which was, are filters necessary?..... I don't see any reason why one filter is better than another.  As my experience proves, I've not seen anything other than oil on a filter.  So why is it there?!

yes its a good question ordinarily i would expect you to get sarcastic condescending responses here but they seem to have picked on me for the time being.  I would say the answer is definitely yes they are necessary, have a look at the vid i posted above, and the study that was in the OP.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2015, 00:49:11 »

You may remember my posts on bad experiences with cheap filters so that may affect your reply. But, again, it was a serious question.

....if you'd care to answer? :-\ it is a forum, so seems a fair question to me. :)

whats the question? 

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2015, 00:50:38 »

whats the question? 

For instance, have you had bad experiences with oil filters in the past? Maybe?

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2015, 01:02:32 »

Who likes my new Avathing  ;D ;D ;D

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2015, 01:22:10 »

don't know why its personal to me i am just interested in getting a good filter.  what sort of bad experiences can you have with an oil filter? you fit it, you remove it. 

oftentimes it leaks down your arm when you remove it so i suppose that is a bad experience.  i wouldn't mind one that didn't, if there is one. 

apart from that i doubt you'd ever know if it was a good one or bad one, bit like oil.  i guess most people go by the label.  hence its worth reading an independent report once in a while. 

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 July 2015, 01:26:37 »

don't know why its personal to me i am just interested in getting a good filter.  what sort of bad experiences can you have with an oil filter? you fit it, you remove it. 

oftentimes it leaks down your arm when you remove it so i suppose that is a bad experience.  i wouldn't mind one that didn't, if there is one. 

apart from that i doubt you'd ever know if it was a good one or bad one, bit like oil.  i guess most people go by the label.  hence its worth reading an independent report once in a while. 

Ok fair do's, but as you know from previous threads, personally I don't see any need to look further than GM. Especially given TC and the oil is cheaper than almost anywhere etc etc.... So no need to look any further for filters.

But then, that's just me. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 17 July 2015, 01:50:38 »

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your last paragraph, I still question the validity of a test carried out four years ago on a filter that is fitted to an engine that isn't fitted to the Omega... Which also brings the relevance of said test into doubt :-\

Perhaps if the test was to be repeated using the currently available filters for the Omega, it might be noteworthy ;)

Not meaning to be negative, but if I turned round and said that in 2011, I discovered that adding a teaspoon of rainex to every tank of screewash made the screen on my Vectra C sparkle, you would be like "So?"

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #21 on: 17 July 2015, 02:38:25 »

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your last paragraph, I still question the validity of a test carried out four years ago on a filter that is fitted to an engine that isn't fitted to the Omega... Which also brings the relevance of said test into doubt :-\

Perhaps if the test was to be repeated using the currently available filters for the Omega, it might be noteworthy ;)

Not meaning to be negative, but if I turned round and said that in 2011, I discovered that adding a teaspoon of rainex to every tank of screewash made the screen on my Vectra C sparkle, you would be like "So?"

FFS what negativity.  The op posted something he felt may be useful, and people have just sniped at him.  This happens all the time of late on here, no wonder people are loathe to post or are leaving OOF  Does a test on a nut and bolt have to be valid only if its fitted to an Omega?

Same with your Rainex example, why not be just a little positive and say that if it worked ok on my Vectra C in 2011, it may be worth testing on my Omega or whatever car I drive - or was the Rainex you tested Vectra specific? ffs!!

1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 17 July 2015, 03:09:50 »

It was a crap analogy :-[ and I wasn't trying to be negative, which I did emphasise  ???

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 July 2015, 07:26:01 »

Why does Dbug only post when he's having a go someone? Negative in itself it seems to me.

I just wanted to know why the detailed concern with oil filters. You have to admit it's does "seem" obsessive. But then some say I'm obsessed with tyres and suspension. And the reason for that is the agro I've had with my own omegas. As I'm sure you'll remember.

I just wondered about the reasons behind the post. :-\ what are we missing out on? With an answer it may not seem obsessive at all perhaps. ....?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #24 on: 17 July 2015, 17:22:03 »

Why does Dbug only post when he's having a go someone? Negative in itself it seems to me.

I just wanted to know why the detailed concern with oil filters. You have to admit it's does "seem" obsessive. But then some say I'm obsessed with tyres and suspension. And the reason for that is the agro I've had with my own omegas. As I'm sure you'll remember.

I just wondered about the reasons behind the post. :-\ what are we missing out on? With an answer it may not seem obsessive at all perhaps. ....?

Just trying to stand up for someone who's posted up some info he feels is useful, yet all he's getting from the usual "crew" on here is grief.  Surely if a post doesn't interest you, or if you feel it is irrelevent, don't post or knock it, just move on ::)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 July 2015, 17:37:29 »

Just trying to stand up for someone who's posted up some info he feels is useful, yet all he's getting from the usual "crew" on here is grief.  Surely if a post doesn't interest you, or if you feel it is irrelevent, don't post or knock it, just move on ::)

Dbug you said yourself you don't come on here any more, due to "certain individuals". Yet those exact same individuals are actually the only people you choose to talk to on oof, after logging on from viewing while logged off. Seemingly to post negative comments and accuse people of abuse, bullying, and,  being negative. Purely for posting an opinion.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.